Barbados - Turtles and Stingrays?

Payd

I asked this question on the ports of call board - though I have had "lookers" I haven't gotten any answers. So please help if you can:

We are looking at an excursion to snorkel with the turtles. I did read a post where someone said that they snorkeled with turtles and a few stingrays came around.

While I would love to swim with both, our daughter is scared to death of the stingrays. She tried in Grand Cayman and was so scared she was close to hysterical. So when I asked about swimming with turtles...her first question was about stingrays.

Are they commonly in these areas. Please share your experience. Just want to know in advance so that she is prepared not to get in the water.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

we did an excusrion while we stayed in barbados(not a cruise stop) near speightstown and snorkeled with turtles. we didnt see any stingrays. captain rumpy pumpy took us out, just the 3 of us on his private boat it was very nice.

we did an excusrion while we stayed in barbados(not a cruise stop) near speightstown and snorkeled with turtles. we didnt see any stingrays. captain rumpy pumpy took us out, just the 3 of us on his private boat it was very nice.

Thanks Retrotrish!

Is the area you were at near Payne's Beach?

We did the sailing tour with Calabaza (highly recommended!), which goes to the same spot everyone else goes. We did see ONE stingray but it did not come near us like the turtles did. It stayed far away. That excursion was amazing!!!

6ae06592.jpg

Find a cab Go to BLUE MONKEY There are small boats that go to turtles WE did it twice with them ,,Nice beach to relax on after I'm not sure the name of the Beach Payne or Crane ,,,but all locals Know BLUE MOnkey even though it closed!!!

We did the sailing tour with Calabaza (highly recommended!), which goes to the same spot everyone else goes. We did see ONE stingray but it did not come near us like the turtles did. It stayed far away. That excursion was amazing!!!

6ae06592.jpg

Fabulous picture - Paddle Addict.

Were you offered a float vest on the excursion? We would need one just in case. Hoping if there is a stingray that my daughter doesn't see it.

Find a cab Go to BLUE MONKEY There are small boats that go to turtles WE did it twice with them ,,Nice beach to relax on after I'm not sure the name of the Beach Payne or Crane ,,,but all locals Know BLUE MOnkey even though it closed!!!

Kinda thinking about this option rather than a catamaran excursion. Did you find there was a ton of $$ savings?

Kinda thinking about this option rather than a catamaran excursion. Did you find there was a ton of $$ savings?

WE shared the cab all day Went to 3 places 20$ each

Boat on beach is about 20$ a person ...bargain

Yes, they had all sorts of equipment, including floaties.

Honestly, I like to save money (I really do!) but the Calabaza tour was worth every single penny and then some. You are on an incredible yacht with only a few guests, you are served delicious food all day, free flowing drinks, they take you to the prettiest spots and the crew is so laid back and nice. Did I mention we actually sailed? That rarely happens on these types of tours. You are usually on a sailboat but they use the motor. For us, we were lucky and had nice wind and got to sail.

I felt like I was out sailing with friends (rich friends, ha ha), not like I was on an "excursion." It was one of the most beautiful and relaxing days of my life. I am serious. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Thanks mmemichele and Paddle Addict.

Obviously the three of us will need to sit down this weekend and talk about which way to go.

Pros and cons for each.

:)Really appreciate your responses to my post!:)

Archived