formal categories

This is my first post on the fashion board. Hi :) I'm by no means a fashionista but I'm browsing around for dresses for the formal nights. What's up with all the dress categories such as evening gown, prom dresses, mother-of-the bride? While in theory you might think there's differences, like maybe the mother-of-the-bride dresses might be more conservative, but when digging though the categories, it looks to me like they could all be lumped together. Is there an actual difference? lol and really, is anyone going to think "OMG that 20 year old is wearing a mother-of-the-bride gown" Or "that 40 year old is wearing a prom dress!". I think people should dress in what makes them feel fabulous.

Also, we're doing an Alaska cruise and I'm very prone to being cold so I'm looking for a little warmer dress. However, it seems like anything with sleeves looks frumpy lol I don't really want to look frumpy. do you have designer suggestions? and I'd like to keep it under $200 per dress. Thanks!

This is my first post on the fashion board. Hi :) I'm by no means a fashionista but I'm browsing around for dresses for the formal nights. What's up with all the dress categories such as evening gown, prom dresses, mother-of-the bride? While in theory you might think there's differences, like maybe the mother-of-the-bride dresses might be more conservative, but when digging though the categories, it looks to me like they could all be lumped together. Is there an actual difference? lol and really, is anyone going to think "OMG that 20 year old is wearing a mother-of-the-bride gown" Or "that 40 year old is wearing a prom dress!". I think people should dress in what makes them feel fabulous.

Also, we're doing an Alaska cruise and I'm very prone to being cold so I'm looking for a little warmer dress. However, it seems like anything with sleeves looks frumpy lol I don't really want to look frumpy. do you have designer suggestions? and I'd like to keep it under $200 per dress. Thanks!

I think people should dress in what makes them feel fabulous.

Totally agree and welcome!

Are you considering a cocktail dress, or floor length? Maybe a sleeveless dress with a jacket, or shrug? A few brands, Adriana Papell, Alex Evenings, Jones of NY, Tadashi. There are so many more.

This is my first post on the fashion board. Hi :) I think people should dress in what makes them feel fabulous.

Also, we're doing an Alaska cruise and I'm very prone to being cold so I'm looking for a little warmer dress.

You've got the right attitude! Dress in what makes YOU feel great!

I did an Alaska cruise 2 years ago, and really you can wear sleeveless gowns because you don't need to step outside to get to the main dining room. You can always pack a shrug or a jacket that will go with all your evening wear. You will most likely be comfortable removing it during dinner or in the theatre or bars.

Enjoy your cruise! I loved Alaska and would like to go back there someday!

A prom or bridesmaid dress can be formal....it's really the material and cut that makes evening wear "formal".

Basically, if you wouldn't wear it to a daytime function, you could wear it for formal night...formal wear is a bit "over the top" for PTA meetings, or business!

The ship is heated....don't worry about sleeves! Bring a wrap, just in case!

I wore thin dresses with spaghetti straps on my Alaska cruise and I was fine. I brought a lightweight shawl in case I was cold in the dining room, but you definitely don't need heavier fabrics or sleeves for dinner unless you plan to go out on the deck before or afterwards.

Thanks Ladies. I have a little black cocktail dress I'll wear one night. I have a red silk wrap and super cute red heels to go with it. For the second night, I don't have a preference yet for long or cocktail. Depends on what I find lol I think I want something a little on the sexy side (not risque though). I just lost 20 lbs, went from a 13/14 to a 10 :) I plan to lose a few more before the trip, and want to revel the new me ;)

I really like the Adrianna Papell! Thanks for the tip :)

NoobCruiser, you are so right. The categories are so confusing, but if you notice they are similar and interchangeable. Also look at Special occasion dresses. Once you have found some and tried them on, you will get an idea of what you are looking for and then can go online to most any dress store and find something that will fill you need. Good luck and have fun!

The categories are just a) a way to guide people into the right direction and give them ideas. b) a marketing strategy. & I agree that people should just wear whatever they want/whatever they're comfortable in.

As for a dress, try David's bridal's Special Occasion section! I'm sure you'll be able to find something you like for a great price.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Browse_Special-Occasions

Thanks Ladies. I have a little black cocktail dress I'll wear one night. I have a red silk wrap and super cute red heels to go with it. For the second night, I don't have a preference yet for long or cocktail. Depends on what I find lol I think I want something a little on the sexy side (not risque though). I just lost 20 lbs, went from a 13/14 to a 10 :) I plan to lose a few more before the trip, and want to revel the new me ;)

I really like the Adrianna Papell! Thanks for the tip :)

What a nice color combo that will be! I LOVE red shoes with anything and everything, have 5 pairs and a pair of red boots - my husband has named it my "Dorothy Syndrome - red shoes, that is). Just a little pop of red brightens up a whole outfit - you will look wonderful!

Archived