Whence the OBC's?

writer100

Just reserved for our first O cruise in January. In exploring this forum have come caross multiple references to obc's, with no specific reference to how they are earned or achieved. On Crystal, I have read that they are gotten by getting a first time sailor to join you on the same cruise. On Seabourn, they are earned by either holding company stock, or more commonly--no pun intended--by "introducing" a new cruiser to Seabourn.

And of course one sometimes gets a donation of something from one's ta.

How does this all work on O? I note that some veteran(?) O sailors refer to their special status as a source of their obc's--something apparently different from the accounr credits usually proffered by a travel agent. In one case, the figure mentioned was $1,000, and one O cruiser on B2B cruises remarked that she had a $500 obc on the first leg, and a $1000 credit on the second. Hokie smacks!

What am I missing? Enlightenment most gratefully received.

You are right that sometimes the OBC comes from your T/A. Sometimes it's a specific cash amount and sometimes it's "free gratuities" which is equal to what the suggested gratuity is for your cabin class and length of cruise.

As was mentioned, sometimes Oceania offers an OBC as an inducement to sign on to a specific cruise.

And, finally, Oceania also provides an OBC to repeat cruisers - members of the Oceania Club. You automatically become a member with your first sailing. Starting with your 5th cruise you get $200 per cabin. Starting with your 10th cruise, you get $400 + Free Gratuities. And, the list goes on. Visit Oceania's web site and click on "Oceania Club Members" on the bottom right of the screen.

You'll love sailing Oceania.

Wrtier100,

Remember that on Seabourn wherre most everything is included OBCs can be applied to things like shore excursions and spa treatments. On Oceania, unless your TA provides the gratuities the OBC will most likely go to those and alcohol consumption. Still any OBC is a good OBC.

Wrtier100,

Remember that on Seabourn wherre most everything is included OBCs can be applied to things like shore excursions and spa treatments. On Oceania, unless your TA provides the gratuities the OBC will most likely go to those and alcohol consumption. Still any OBC is a good OBC.

Beginning with your tenth cruise you gratuities are FREE!:)

Free indeed :D

Someday, I must show you my $50,000 Oceania luggage tags

143119.jpg

I occasionally polish them.....on my free flights ;)

LOL- I guessed always being in OS or V suites we've paid for them many times over as well.and never take the

"FREE FLIGHTS" always use miles.

As for the luggage tags, we have them but "weight restrictions" keep us from using them.;)

Gee, we are on our third set of "free" tags. They seem to last about 6-8 trips and then disappear.

We use them as it makes it easy to find our bags and also has helped us to meet fellow cruisers at the arrival airport while waiting for bags at the carousel.

If you think you paid dearly for these tags, try Regent. Not half as nice and the cruises cost more:mad:

You are right that sometimes the OBC comes from your T/A. Sometimes it's a specific cash amount and sometimes it's "free gratuities" which is equal to what the suggested gratuity is for your cabin class and length of cruise.

As was mentioned, sometimes Oceania offers an OBC as an inducement to sign on to a specific cruise.

And, finally, Oceania also provides an OBC to repeat cruisers - members of the Oceania Club. You automatically become a member with your first sailing. Starting with your 5th cruise you get $200 per cabin. Starting with your 10th cruise, you get $400 + Free Gratuities. And, the list goes on. Visit Oceania's web site and click on "Oceania Club Members" on the bottom right of the screen.

You'll love sailing Oceania.

I am sure we will.Though I must confide that after one small Regent ship and four Seabourn cruises Riviera seems quite large.(Yes, i understand that measured against the Goliaths of the Seas and such, Riviera is positively intimate.) In any case. the insight and general bonhomie on display here are most reassuring.

And oh yes, thank you for the obc derivations,

Wrtier100,

Yes, I understand. Just for the record, our ta included gratuities plus a $100 obc. However, Amex obc's were verboten. The rule for combining --or refusing to combine--obc's from various sources seems to vary from line to line.

I seem to recall a thread on Seabourn that compared obc's from Virtuoso and Ensemble consortiums (consortia?) and attempted to devine which provided what, and what Seabourn would, or might, accept along with its familiar referral obc.

That--or something very much like it--seems to be at work with Oceania vis a vis an Amex credit. Even though O recently announced it was now part of that program. In short, we could have the Amex credit. Or the ta's. But not both--according to the ta who belongs to Virtuoso.

Writer100,

As an ardent Seabourn sailor I can tell you that I loved the Marina. It's a stunning ship and you won't feel crowded though it is obviously in a different size category from most of the luxury lines.

Archived