Traffic problem in Miami on March 18 -St.Patrick's Day?

dons_shopper

Coming from Germany I have a problem to figure out what kind of traffic to expect in Miami on March 18 because of St.Patrick's Day. I read what will be going on in Miami but can't get a picture.

We plan on leaving from Melbourne,Fl. in the early morning around 6, then drive to Miami to return our rental car close to the airport and then use their shuttle to port.

All the hotels in Miami and that area are sold out or very expensiv ( I know: Spring Break.. ) plus we would prefer to spend that prior night with our friends in Melbourne.

But I am worried - will this work out if we'll leave in the early morning?

Will appreciate your help very much! Thanks for advice.

Tammy

My mistake: I am aware that the holiday is on March 17, but read about things going on on the 18th. Because it is a weekend plus springbreak I thought there might be a problem.

And on Miami pages there were so many things advertised for the 18th...

Actually this question was ment for Miami locals.

Thanky anyhow ;)

Miami port is a straight shot down i95, no problems there unless there is a wreck. Very short drive from the highway through a rather dismal area which I can't see having any kind of celebration or traffic due to spring break or St Patricks day. Crossing at US 1 a little traffic and then right over the bridge to the port.

Whoops, just saw you were taking the car back to the airport. Always heavy traffic around there but again not an area that would have much in the way of celebration or spring break traffic. Lock your doors and try to refill the tank around Ft Lauderdale, we met two couples that were robbed around Miami airport refilling rental car gas tanks on one of our cruises. Although that was a few years ago.

Archived