Passports question for Canadians

woodsy64

We are Canadians and haven't travelled to theses ports before. Do we need to take our passports into port in Grand Cayman or Ocho Rios?

No but I always take it anyway.. just in case..get a waterproof wallet from your local store for water based shore excursions..

You can also take a photo copy of your passport.. I have done 10 cruise and never had a problem.

Happy cruising!!!

We haven't cruised since /09 and didn't do these ports but when we were in Bahamas we were told that we had to take our passports with us at ports and we had to show them to security before being granted access back to the docking area... that was our experience.... enjoy your cruise!

You don't have to take your passports ashore but in some case it may be a good idea, using an independent tour that goes far from the ship for example.

In all cases you usually need some form of photo ID to re-enter the port area.

In 9 cruises, including Bahamas, Grand Cayman, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico we have never taken our passports off the ship at any port. When we first started cruising Carnival used to hold our passports until the morning of debarkation and give them back to us when we cleared customs, that was when non US citizens cleared customs on the ship. Our passports get put in the safe as soon as the rooms are opened and do not come out again until the morning we get off. I always carry my driver's license for my photo ID and have never had a problem. I know lots of people say to take them but in my experience I have never had a problem with just my DL.

You do not need it in these, and most other ports. I keep mine locked in ths safe all cruise.

If it is lost/stolen while ashore then you can have real problems, as you need to clear both US and Canadian customs on your way home.

Archived