United Airlines Watch out

ArtM

The following information happens to matter to me because we have a United flight home from our upcoming Azamara cruise.

As of yesterday, March 3, 2012, the Continental - United Airlines now has a single computer and reservation system. If you have any flights scheduled on that airline, it worth taking the time to look at them.

Here are some known changes:

All flights have a new locator code (6 character PNR)

For those that had linked their CO FF and their UA FF numbers, the CO number is now the one to use along with the associated password or PIN.

Those that did not have a CO FF will be getting a new FF number in the form SS123456.

There are also random changes such as modifed or disappearing seat assignments. Since any and all changes are an airline event, it would be best to check directly with the airline, preferably via ones on-line account. It is definitely not something to waste Choice Air time on.

Art

That's exactly what I discovered when I attempted to check on my flights in September 2012.

A little disconcerting at first, but all straightened out now.

Good advice people, be aware!!

TnT

I'm bummed because for some crazy reason I had my United Mileage Plus account number memorized. I don't have any other frequent-flyer type numbers memorized, just that one. Now this useless number is burned in my brain forever!

:)

I guess there are worse things that could happen!

- Nancy

Thank you for pointing out that they changed the assigned seats as well as the record locator. Good thing I checked since they put my husband and I on 2 different rows. Maybe they figure we don't have to be sewn together all the time, but I would much rather be sitting next to my husband than a stranger if I have a choice.

Good advice.

I originally booked under CO and now I got a new a UA confirmation#. All our seat assignments are still the same. The only thing to double check now is to make sure our connecting flight with with SAS airline is not mess up.

Yes, if you booked through United definitely check things out. I'm a Continental guy and booked through them, and the transition was seamless for us. Our recent booking through CO had no issues with it. However, even if you booked though CO, check it out too, just as I did 10 minutes ago!

If I recall correctly, CO had the better web site and booking system, and that's the one they used. Thus, more chances for issues on the UA end.

The following information happens to matter to me because we have a United flight home from our upcoming Azamara cruise.

As of yesterday, March 3, 2012, the Continental - United Airlines now has a single computer and reservation system. If you have any flights scheduled on that airline, it worth taking the time to look at them.

Here are some known changes:

All flights have a new locator code (6 character PNR)

For those that had linked their CO FF and their UA FF numbers, the CO number is now the one to use along with the associated password or PIN.

Those that did not have a CO FF will be getting a new FF number in the form SS123456.

There are also random changes such as modifed or disappearing seat assignments. Since any and all changes are an airline event, it would be best to check directly with the airline, preferably via ones on-line account. It is definitely not something to waste Choice Air time on.

Art

Art,

Excellent and informative post! I just went online and did a "re-print" of all my CO itineraries. They all have new United locator codes, but my seats are all fine.

Thanks again,

Kel:)

-This past week, while attempting to confirm some info about our existing international reservations originally made with Continental, I tried phoning the new conslidated UA phone #. I was given the option of asking about existing reservations, and, later in the process, asking to speak with an agent, but there was no option for domestic vs. international (pretty amazing). Sometimes the estimated wait time for an agent was as high as 55 mins. (or they just didn't give one). Later it was 4 mins. When I finally got to speak with an agent to which I was automatically transferred, they said they dealt with domeestic flights only, and they needed to transfer me to international. Guess where I ended up? Back at the same spot where I started (with the same automated questions on what I wanted to ask about, etc.). I tried phoning and just saying "agent' from the start (that used to work). This time the system did ask me whether my flights were entiredly in the U.S. and Canada. I answered no. I got a recording saying they'd like to help me, but all agents were busy, so I should call back later. Then a quick "Goodbye," and the system hung up on me.

The agents at the airport were very helpful, and acknowledged that there were many problems (there were even problem with the computers at the check-in desk), but UA's Facebook page simply said there were some problems "as would be expected," but all was working fine now. No apology at all. They had a lot of time to prepare for the consolidation, and were aware of problems other airlines had encountered in earlier situations. They could have at least apologized for problems encountered.

A small aside: when my wife asked about buying something from the duty free service on our flight, we were told that the person who handled that was out sick, and no one had the key to the products. Say what?

Archived