Kotot shore excursion advice

We have a choice when in Kotor between two excursions. Both include Kotor. The choices are between Budva or Cetinje. Not a lot of information on the nert about these places so I would appreciate any advice or recommendations.

Larry

We have a choice when in Kotor between two excursions. Both include Kotor. The choices are between Budva or Cetinje. Not a lot of information on the nert about these places so I would appreciate any advice or recommendations. Larry

We did BOTH . . . Budva and Cetinje. On the below noted live/blog you can see many details on some of the many options for that stop and other key ports in the Med. Or, you can check this shorter posting out, ask any follow-up questions, etc. Don't miss the sail-in and sail-out for this spectacular port in its "fjord".

More on Kotor and nearby, check these postings:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Budva is more about an old, historic walled city connected with a growing beach/resort city. Cetinje is the old Royal capital for Montenegro that has interesting connections with the Russian Czars.

Tell us more on what you most like to see and do. Happy to share more. See some visuals and added details below.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 67,991 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here’s our bus driver going to up, back and forth, through twenty-seven serpentine twists and turns to rise up the 4000’ high mountain above Kotor as we headed to the old Royal Capital of Cetinje. You can see our cruise ship down below tendered in the scenic harbor.:

KotorBusDriverHarbor.jpg

Here is one view in the old Royal Capital of Cetinje with its various buildings connected to when it was the smallest capital of a Europe nation.:

KotorCapitalStoneBldgs.jpg

We toured the various rooms in the old residence for the King of Montenegro and there were many interesting items, including connections with the Russian Czars.:

KotorCapitalRoomInterior1.jpg

We went to Budva, a 2,500 year-old-fortress that is now in the heart of a resort area. This is the overview of walled coastal town and how it projects out into the sea. Lots of fancy private ships docked here in their harbor. :

BudvaTownShoreOverview.jpg

This is one of the stone towers in Budva with the official lion from when Venice ruled this area.:

BudvaTowerStoneVeniceLion.jpg

In Budva, here is a view of a church and its tower within its walled, historic area. This coastal town, overall, including outside the walled area, has 15,000 inhabitants. This Budvanska coastal area is the heart of Montenegro's tourism. The area is well known for its sandy beaches, diverse nightlife and charming Mediterranean architecture. Budva is 2,500 years old, one of the oldest settlements on the Adriatic coast. :

KotorBudvaChurches.jpg

Terry,

Thanks for the response and lovely pictures.

We are on Oceania's Riviera (will actually be the maiden voyage) and are in Kotor from 8 until 5. I believe that is too much time to just spend in Kotor so we are interested in adding in some additional stops. Normally we try to avoid ship excursions but there a limited number of private tour operators in that area. I am waiting for a couple of responses but right now the ship excursions seems to be the only options.

One excursions is to Cejinje and the drive back to Kotor is along the Budva coast but doesn't include a tour of Budva. The other excursion is to Budva and then back to Kotor. The Oceania excursions are 5.5 and 4.5 hours in duration and cost 150 or 100 pp. (and I always thought Celebrity excursions were expensive).

Subject to getting positive responses from private tour operators I am tending to the Cetinje/Kotor excursion.

Larry

Terry, Thanks for the response and lovely pictures. We are on Oceania's Riviera (will actually be the maiden voyage) and are in Kotor from 8 until 5. I believe that is too much time to just spend in Kotor so we are interested in adding in some additional stops. Normally we try to avoid ship excursions but there a limited number of private tour operators in that area. I am waiting for a couple of responses but right now the ship excursions seems to be the only options. One excursions is to Cejinje and the drive back to Kotor is along the Budva coast but doesn't include a tour of Budva. The other excursion is to Budva and then back to Kotor. The Oceania excursions are 5.5 and 4.5 hours in duration and cost 150 or 100 pp. (and I always thought Celebrity excursions were expensive). Subject to getting positive responses from private tour operators I am tending to the Cetinje/Kotor excursion. Larry

THANKS, Larry, for the added information and nice comments on my pictures! Both options are good, but you should find the routing to Cetinje interesting and fairly dramatic. It's good to get a "sampling" in the upcountry and away from the the coastal areas. We did both the old capital and the shore walled city, but it was a long period and a little rushed at time. Below are some added visuals on what you'll see in and around Cejinje, Kotor, etc. Let us know any added questions. Have heard good things on the Oceania ships and service.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 67,991 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is another view of a room in the Old Royal Capital of Cetinje and its historic residence for the King of Montenegro. This building has many interesting historic items and connections with the Russian Czars. It is not a large and grand capital, nor palace, but it gave us a sample for how things operation in the 1800’s when the country was not under foreign control.:

KotorRoyalCapInterior2.jpg

From high above Kotor, this is the view of the fjord bay with the Solstice in prime position to soak up the spectacular sun on our visiting day there.:

KotorHarborViewSolstice.jpg

For Kotor, I got up at 5 am for the sail-in through their wonderfully scenic fjords, etc. Below is one picture from the front of the ship on that early path through these narrow areas to reach Kotor as the sun is rising. We tendered at 7 am in their harbor. It was a short, easy tender to arrive on land for our bus tour.:

KotorSailInSunriseWatching.jpg

As you sail in and out of Kotor, you see these two island with church built on them. Near Perast there are two small islands: one is called St. George island, and the other called Gospa od Škrpjela (Our Lady of the Rock), and each has a picturesque chapel. Gospa od Škrpjela is particularly interesting given that it is the only artificially built island in the Adriatic These are not natural island, but built up there over the years. Spectacular sighting.:

2KotorTwoIslandSailIn.jpg

Terry,

I am tending toward the upcountry route as well.

You obviously take a lot of pictures on your travels (great ones).

I recently acquired a DSLR camera and am trying to decide what equipment / accessories to take on our trips. How many lenses do you carry with you; Do you use filters?

Thanks,

Larry

Archived