my recent Pirate's Bay Las Palmas report

39august

We went to Pirate's Bay from the Mariner last week Feb. 29. The rate now is $15 per person for the shuttle to and from the beach and for use of beach loungers. We were not charged anything for the 5 year old in our group. The place is quite nice with shops and a large beach with plenty of palm trees and some palapas for shade. The water is shallow far out, so it is great for children. You can rent snorkel equipment for $15 for the day. And the reef is easily swimable for a good swimmer. I'd guess less than 100 yards from shore and you can wade a good deal of the way. It is not as beautiful as West Bay, but so much easier to get to! A word of caution, though. Allow a LOT of time for return to the peir, at least to Coxen Hole. Shuttles go back and forth all day. But if you just missed a shuttle going to Coxen Hole, the round trip may take up to an hour, as they will be waiting a bit at the pier for fares. The actual drive takes at least 15 minutes. We waited 45 mins. for our return shuttle. Our driver was very friendly and spoke good English as he had lived in the US for a few years.

Thanks for the update. I have been struggling to decide what to do in Roatan but the more I read about Las Palmas the more I think it will be the right choice. Did they have kayaks or jet skies and such for rent? Was the place crowded?. Thanks for the information.

No jet skis, but there are kayaks. Sorry, don't know the charge. But we were told there is a "path" to kayak thru some mangroves if you want. There are also float mats which I think were $5. It was not at all crowded. You can walk over to the "Black Pearl" and get a good look at it, but cannot board unless you have paid for a tour. It is so small you can see most of the main deck well from the dock.

Archived