washington dc to baltimore pier transfers

Which of the 3 Washington DC Metro area airports are you flying into? BWI is the closest to Baltimore (about 20 minutes or so outside the city). DCA (or Reagan National) is about 45 minutes and IAD (or Wash Dulles) is about 1-1.5 hours away (**All times are without traffic which around here can be g-d awful on a good day.) The transfers for DCA or IAD may negate the extra cost to fly into BWI. You may also want to post on the board referenced above. There may be some PA airports that would not be bad options either. Good Luck and happy cruising!

looking to flying into dc for a cruise out of Baltimore on rcl is there any transfers from this airport to the cruise pier it is lots cheaper to fly into dc thanks for any info?

Hi guys. As previously stated there are 3 airports in the D.C./Baltimore area. Depending on day of arrival traffic between D.C. and Baltimore can be pretty rough. If you fly into Dulles (IAD) a shuttle would probably cost whatever the money saved on the flight was. BWI is the closest airport to the port, about 15-20 minutes by taxi. Reagan National (DCA) is between BWI and Dulles. Dulles is actually in Northern Virginia and is over an hours drive to Baltimore. Unless you are saving lots of $$$$$, flying into BWI is your best choice.

Reagan (DCA) is also in VA, I walk to it regularly for my early flights when the metro isn't running. BWI is going to be the easiest but you probably aren't looking at that if you said DC. I can tell you some of your options from DCA including taking the metro to the end of one of the lines (I want to say Greenbelt but I could check for you), then taking a bus. Actually, I'm going to go check now.

Times, routes and cost DO differ based on the time of day and day of week. For this example I choose leaving DCA after 12 pm on a Tuesday. Using the wmata.com website (The DC public transportation site) it won't let me get you to the cruise ship but it will tell me how to get you to BWI and then you'll probably be able to take a shuttle or taxi.

So you'd leave at 12:01 on the yellow line, transfer at L'Enfant to green at 12:17. Go to the end of green to Greenbelt, arriving at 12:45. Then at 1:20 you'd board a bus to BWI which would arrive at approx 1:51. Total time 1 hr, 50 mins. The cost is $8.25 if you have a smartrip card or $9 with cash (you'd need a fare card for the metro rail portion, exact change for the bus).

You could also take a metro train to union station, price varies time of day but for 12 noon on a weekday it would be $1.60 with Smartrip or $1.85 with a cash fare card. From Union Station you could take an amtrak train to BWI or Penn Station in Baltimore for $11 on a random Tuesday in June. Don't do the Acela Express which is $36-42. The Amtrak train is less than 30 minutes and more comfortable. You could maybe do a MARC train (commuter train) but I don't have knowledge on it.

National Airport is officially in Washington, DC, not Virginia. The address is 1 Aviation Circle, Washington, DC 20001.

I also recommend flying into BWI versus other DC area airports.

It might have that address but I assure you it is in VA. I can see the airport from my apartment, I walk to it regularly. It is west of the river and DC is east of the river. If you google Arlington VA and open the map, it has an outline of Arlington, which surrounds the airport. I will attach a photo.

Dulles also has a DC address but it's 25 miles from DC.

Also, according to the Ronald Regan National Airport Website:

http://www.metwashairports.com/267.htm

"Both Airports are physically located in Virginia, but have Washington, D.C., mailing addresses. Where are the Airports located legally? Reagan National: Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport is located in Virginia. Federal law and Virginia Code both state the airport is "situated within the Commonwealth of Virginia" (see 59 Stat. 552 (1945); 1950 Va. Code Sec 7.1-10 (1983)). There are also court decisions holding the airport is located in Virginia (see Pfister v. Director, Office of Workers Compensation, etc., 675 F.2d 1314, 1315-16 (D.C. Cir. 1982); and Bryan v. District of Columbia Unemployment Compensation Board, 342 A.2d 45 (D.C. Ct. App. 1975))."

See the red outline for Arlington? The East side of Arlington is the river and the airport is at the south east corner of Arlington.

DCA.png

Archived