April 8 Cruise from Galveston (Transfer to/From Houston)

Melandre

Hi, my wife and I (from Vancouver, BC) are about to book a cruise on the Mariner of the Seas out of Galveston. We're considering taking the RCI roundtrip transfer from Houston to Galveston and back. But we are now quite confused about it: on the RCI website (under FAQs and then "Port of Departure"), it looks like the service is provided by Galveston Cruise Express, a subsidiary of Gray Line. Following the link, it appeared that the cost was $85 round trip with pick up at, or near the Houston Bush International Airport (IAH). This was great because, we land at IAH and we planned to book a hotel (we arrived the night before) near AIH airport.

As I like to double-check what I read/find on the web, I called Gray Line to make sure the service was still offered... and, good thing I did because the guy said they no longer offer this service!!! RCI needs to corrrect their website accordingly. Anyway, I then called my travel agent and she just called back saying that the new service is $79 Round Trip but pick-up/drop-off is at Hobby Airport (HOU)!!! Is it really possible that RCI transfer service does not pick up from Houston's main international airport (AIH)??? Seems very strange to me... Sounds like, we'll have to either change our hotel or figure a way to get from AIH airport to HOU airport, or figure a different third-party transfer... Any comments or suggestions on the above? I still can't believe that RCI would not pick up from AIH (I suspect that most cruisers arriving by plane probably arrive at AIH and just a few at HOU???). Andre

#1 Come over and join the group at the RCI meet & mingle section of CC.

and

Look up Galveston Limo.....check their rates, etc. (not a bus, a large van, which means you do not sit on the bus waiting for it to fill up.

#3 Come over to the M & M , ask this same question, you will get a ton of assistance!!!!

Hi, my wife and I (from Vancouver, BC) are about to book a cruise on the Mariner of the Seas out of Galveston. We're considering taking the RCI roundtrip transfer from Houston to Galveston and back. But we are now quite confused about it: on the RCI website (under FAQs and then "Port of Departure"), it looks like the service is provided by Galveston Cruise Express, a subsidiary of Gray Line. Following the link, it appeared that the cost was $85 round trip with pick up at, or near the Houston Bush International Airport (IAH). This was great because, we land at IAH and we planned to book a hotel (we arrived the night before) near AIH airport.

As I like to double-check what I read/find on the web, I called Gray Line to make sure the service was still offered... and, good thing I did because the guy said they no longer offer this service!!! RCI needs to corrrect their website accordingly. Anyway, I then called my travel agent and she just called back saying that the new service is $79 Round Trip but pick-up/drop-off is at Hobby Airport (HOU)!!! Is it really possible that RCI transfer service does not pick up from Houston's main international airport (AIH)??? Seems very strange to me... Sounds like, we'll have to either change our hotel or figure a way to get from AIH airport to HOU airport, or figure a different third-party transfer... Any comments or suggestions on the above? I still can't believe that RCI would not pick up from AIH (I suspect that most cruisers arriving by plane probably arrive at AIH and just a few at HOU???). Andre

Check the Meet and Mingle thread for your sailing. Galveston is a very popular port for M&M posters to organize their own transfers. You can get it a lot cheaper if there are enough of you.

Check the Meet and Mingle thread for your sailing. Galveston is a very popular port for M&M posters to organize their own transfers. You can get it a lot cheaper if there are enough of you.

So sorry; I didn't see the post above me suggesting the same thing. :o

please join our meet and mingle. It is a wonderful friendly group. I know there are others flying and they maybe able to help with info. I know that super shuttle goes to the pier. Welcome to our group, Starla

You can only purchase transfers through Royal Caribbean if you are flying in the day of the cruise. I called RC & they told me I could go from the hotel to the airport on the day of the cruise departure and see if RC has any seats still available on their shuttle but we couldn't get a guaranteed reservation as we were flying in the day before. I didn't want to take a chance so we booked with Cornerstone Limo.

I just booked my transportation from Hobby to Galveston through Super Shuttle. From the airport to Galveston was 75$ (exclusive van up to 10 passengers, I have 6). Plus the Gas surcharge and tip, to get to Galveston it was 93.50. I also booked them to pick us up at the port and take us back to Hobby. That trip plus tax is 123$. They also had rates for if you wanted to "share" a van with others outside of your party. I hope this helps, www.supershuttle.com

We are sailing from Galveston 4/1/12 and are using the RC transfer roundtrip from Bush Intercontinental at $94 each. I understand that the tranfers are only available for sail day arrival but the transfers are available through Royal Caribbean.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on the same ship! We are Amtraking from San Diego to Houston and need transfers, too. I was referred here, http://texasairportcar.com/aboutus.html, by a fellow CC board-er PT109. I called and was quoted $200 roundtrip for 2 in a mini-van. We'd be the only passengers and it would be a straight shot from Houston to our hotel in Galveston. Not a bad deal, considering we'd be the only passengers and we don't have to do the driving!

Good luck, and please share if you find something better. :)

Lori B

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend getting a limo (as in a luxurious suv) for your transportation. you can arrange it for any time or date you want if you call early. you are picked up from within the baggage claim, you are helped with your luggage, and you get to be treated like a king/queen? i think it's worth it much more than royal caribbean shuttle or any other "shuttle". we used Cornerstone Elite Limousines, we booked our trip 3 weeks ahead of time, and everything went smoothly and they were very efficient! You will not be disappointed. Check them out at cornerstonel.com 713.880.1800! Hope this helps!

Archived