captains

southland rob

Why the question? It does not matter what nationality the captain is. You can't tar all captains by their nationality, just because one captain was foolish. Yes, the topic came up on my recent cruise, and I thought the captain handled himself professionally. He actually made a bit of a joke as he said he was from Toronto rather than Sicily on the first night.

Rob

It is just that the captain that we had on the Insignia was a bit sensitive about being Italian and from Sicily. He made a joke about it, but you could tell from his body language that he was a bit sensitive. You should have heard the cracks from other passengers about the nationality of captains, and you would understand my response. There was several jokes by other officers during officer challenge games and the Liars Club about Italian captains. After coming out with the jokes, the comment was always from the officers, "It's not too soon for the jokes is it?" Schetani (sp?) took quite a hit from several of the senior officers and I think it helped the complete atmosphere aboard the ship. As long as the captain gets you where you are supposed to go safely, it does not matter. The captain was spending long days on the bridge when we hit some heavy fog on the Atlantic Ocean.

Archived