Fly, Snooze & Cruise, Port Canaveral...

theavonb

The way back is a different story. We heard horror stories about the crowd of people at Budget and all the other rental car agencies after the cruise. We asked the owner of budget and she was very honest that you could expect an hour wait just to get your car after the cruise. If you have a flight before noon, not a good idea. We sucked it up and booked a cab to Orlando ($85 with tip). Made our 12:15 flight with plenty of time to spare.

This is good to know. Currently i have a fly,snooze, cruise package for $200 at Marriott and was thinking about cancelling and doing the Budget rental. I'm glad i didn't. I think i'm going to pay a little more and do the no hassle. I can imagine the horror on debark day.

We rented a car from dollar the day before our dream cruise last year. It was really not a hassle at all, very convenient actually. You pick the car up right there at the airport, then a very easy drive to Port Canaveral, go where ever you want and do what ever you want, drop the car off at the rental agency in the morning and take their free 5 minute shuttle to the port. After the cruise the shuttle will be waiting to take you back to the rental agency and then you can do whatever you want until your flight.

It was VERY easy even for me who had never flown or rented a car before (sad I know!).

Have a wonderful trip! :)

Very true! Renting the car and getting to Canaveral was one of the simplest trips we've done. Getting out of Orlando airport was a breeze and it was dark for us due to flight delays. Rental car counters were easy to find in airport (we used Budget). Waited less than 5 minutes coming and going both ways on the shuttle. It was just awesome. We stayed at LaQuinta in Coco Beach and were 2 blocks from the beach. It was great. We also stayed an extra day and toured the Kennedy Space Center as soon as we got off the ship. I can't say enough about this place. Normally we would stay about 3 hours max at this type of venue....suddenly I looked down at my watch and we had been there 6 hours!! It was all fascinating. And we had both been to NASA in Houston before. It was so easy and relaxing that I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Just another thought...hopefully when we get to book our flights we get a return with decent flying time home. What is a good time once you have cleared the ship to catch your flight home or should I book another nights stay at whatever hotel we choose?

We had an 11:30 a.m. return flight home. I wouldn't have risked anything before that with the 45-60 minutes that it takes to get from the port to the airport.

Adding on another day to the end of the cruise is something I've never considered until our upcoming cruise this Halloween. We are coming in a day early and leaving the day after the cruise comes back. I told everyone that's going with us that just one time I want them to have to actually "kick" me off the ship. Each time we've been up and off the ship before 8am. I want to have the last disembarkation zone just once! LOL

Plus flying back on a Monday is about $50 cheaper than flying home on Sunday when the ship docks. That's an extra $150 for us. That $150 could better be used for an extra day in Tampa and a good dinner, plus one more day to relax!

We always fly in a day or two early and fly back home a day or two later than the cruise. Like the above poster said, it's cheaper and there is much less congestion at the airports as most leave the same day as the cruise ends.

Lots of great ideas, thanks. We are thinking of staying a day or two after the cruise to. Just wish our flights would come out for Nov. I know, relax, and everything will fall into place, right?

Breathe in, breathe out and take a drink of some fruity umbrella drink. Breathe in, breathe out and take a drink of some fruity umbrella drink. Repeat as necessary.

LOL! Just relax. Planning is half the fun and dragging that planning out a little just gives us more time to anticipate the wonderful vacation we'll have!

Archived