Panama on Independence Day

ConnMom

I am hoping that someone who has lived in Panama can provide some insight. My husband and I will be in port in Colon on a Celebrity ship on November 3, which I understand is Panama's Independence Day. What can we expect if we visit Panama City on that day? Are we likely to experience huge crowds and celebrations in the historic part of the city, or do people generally travel away from the cities on holidays? Will the historic attractions be open? If we do not visit Panama City, we will probably take some kind of nature cruise on Gatun Lake. Would this be a better alternative? We enjoy both history and wildlife/scenery.

Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

Cheryl

Even though I lived in Panama for a long time, it has not been recently however, so my input might not be the most up to date. There will be the obligatory parades and celebrations in various parts of Panama City, I just don't have a feel for as to where. Panamanian Independence Day and Flag Day (Nov. 4) are widely celebrated but it is not one of the bigger travel holidays, the week leading up to Easter Sunday gets that honor.

Any tour of Panama City would likely include the ruins of Old Panama and a visit to the Casco Antiguo, while these may not be the focal point of the celebrations, they might be more popular during that time. The Casco Antiguo is the old colonial section of Panama City and is where the Presidential Palace is located. I would imagine that your tour operator would stay clear of the areas where parades and gatherings are taking place, but then again I really don't know how that would impact your tour. I think in this case whatever tour you decide on, because of the distances involved as well as the possibility of delays, a ship's tour would be your best option.

Having said all that, perhaps a partial transit tour, the nature cruise on Gatun Lake or even a tour to visit one of the Embera villages may be less complicated during this particular time. Any of those tours would keep you out of the heart of Panama City.

PS The last time we were there was this past Easter Sunday, hardly a spot of traffic, I think the whole country was still up in the Interior regions:). We had returned to the ship before gridlock set in.

Thank you, BillB48. I think I am leaning toward a nature cruise on Gatun Lake. I would be disappointed to plan a sightseeing tour of the city and then find that we cannot get to some of the attractions.

Cheryl

Just like in the US the focus of Independence Days (Those clever Panamanians have TWO and TWO days off!) is a day off work! Parades and patriotism come distantly in second place. Since it is a holiday traffic in and around Panama City should be light, which more than makes up for the tour bus needing to detour around a possible parade route. Every day in Panama City streets end up being closed for subway construction or one group or another that wants to block traffic for a few hours to make some point, so the tour companies are used to navigating around obstructions. Pick the tour you really want and do it. Your nature cruise is about nature and your Panama City tour is about history. Unfortunately in one brief stop in Panama you can't do it all: just have to come back for that! Both are great tours so just make your choice without worrying about Independence days.

Regards, Richard

Archived