Why only 1 line offereing a 7 day cruise?

Lydia B.

Why is it only NCL is the only cruise line to offer a 7 day cruise. For many of us taking 10 days or more off is just not possible. I thought I remembered something about lines having to visit a "foreign" port for some reason. Also have folks found that there are high seasons and low seasons in Hawaii...in other words are some months cheaper? Not planning on going for 18-24 months as I am taking off in the morning on a cruise...but hey it is always so much fun to get things lined up for the future. Lydia of Ohio

There is a law that requires any ship that does not meet certain requirements (US registry and crew) cannot visit only US ports without starting, ending or visiting a foreign port. NCL is getting away with it by having one of its ships US registered and with a US crew. The other ship that it has that does Hawaii visits Fanning Island, a "foreign port" during the cruise. All other cruise lines have to sail from the west coast of the US or from French Polynesia and that takes more than a week. There used to be a US based cruise line that had an older ship that did 7 day cruises in the islands but the ship did not meet current safety standards so it had to be removed from service.

Sorry you can't get more than a week off at a time but it that is the case you will need to either sail on NCL or go somewhere other than Hawaii.

Have a great next cruise.

I was curious about that too. I live in San Diego and wondered why Carnival would leave from Ensenada for the Hawaii cruise. Ensenada is about an hours drive from here and is not much of a port. San Deigo is great.

I've always wondered why the cruise lines didn't cruise up the coast. There are great ports along the Ca. coast, as well as Oregon and Washington. It would be nice to see a little more variety on this coast. All we have is the Mexican Rivera. You can only do that so much.

• 3 weeks later...

The Island Princess 15 day cruise from San Pedro is great!! They meet the law by stopping on the way back in Ensenada for 4 hours. I wonder by Carnival doesn't cruise from San Diego and do that stop so people don't have to bus down to Ensenada? Maybe to much logic?

The "rainy season" isn't as predictable as it used to be but this year it was from about December till April. On the other hand, a rainy day in Hawaii beats a snowy day anywhere!

Archived