Hong Kong/Beijing: Using Hotel Points - Which One?

XFed2001

If you were to spend 2 pre-cruise nights (late Feb 2013) in H.K with no regard for the number of hotel points needed, where would you stay?

Likewise, planning 3 post-cruise nights (mid-Mar 2013) in Beijing.

I have Hilton Gold status, Starwood regular, Marriott Silver, and Hyatt Gold. Your input will be appreciated.

We spent three nights last May at the Grand Hyatt in Beijing and loved it. First off, you can't beat the location. It is right downtown, only a ten minute walk from Tiananmen Square, and also convenient to the subway. The hotel itself is really nice (we wound up upgrading ourselves to a suite upon check in), with a fantastic grotto pool. Also, the famous Peking Duck restaurant, Made in China, is located right in the hotel (not that you have to stay there to eat there, but it sure was convenient).

Have a great trip!

My recommendation for Hong Kong is the Kowloon Hotel...just there back in April of last year...great location and very very nice... As for Beijing...The Ritz Carlton Beijing (not the finanical district one)...I think they are a partner with Marriott now..Hope this helps.

Gypsylady

In HK, avoid the Starwood W. Although its extremely convenient - located smack dab above the Kowloon rail station (airport express stop) in the Element mall full of stores and good restaurants. But the hotel is a dark and loud and unpleasant place.

You should be able to do better if you have points. If you have a long flight to HK, there is merit in hopping the express train, getting off and having a short walk to the hotel. If you have Marriott points, consider The Ritz Carlton which is a beautiful property located atop the W in the same building.

I should add the airport express also stops on HK Island where there are any number of chain hotels very close to that stop. Google map the MTR station to see hotels applicable for your points. Tip: reserve a room with views of the harbor (why else stay there?).

Archived