permission for 18 yr old friend?

nothriver

Traveling with my son's 18 yr old friend: do I need permission to travel/permission for medical care since he's 18? I've got blank forms on my computer, should I have him and his parents sign them "just in case" even though he is technically a legal adult? It is kind of scary to think these high school boys are legal adults! They are taking a trip this summer just the two of them as well, seems kind of weird to just send them out in the wild on their own.

At 18, you can legally sign a contract....the adult 18 year old doesn't need permission from anyone to do anything. However, some cruiselines do require that you be 21 or 25 to sail alone...make sure of that rule with your cruiseline!

You might want to see about getting a medical power of attorney for him, just in case. My boss' son and a friend (both 18) went to visit family in Australia last summer, and they had her son get a medical power of attorney for the friend. This is one of those things you hope you will never need, but if something were to happen to the friend, it would be good to be able to make a call for him in the event he's not conscious to make his own medical decisions.

Thank you both - I'll see about the medical power or attny. I think the permission slip I've used for friends in the past had something about "agreeing to pay for medical costs" so I'll have the parents sign as well, since the health insurance is in the parents names.

Archived