Arizona Memorial & Mighty Mo Excursion-Infinity

Konnie

I am considering the excursion through Infinity of the "Arizona Memorial & Mighty Mo" and would like to have anyone's opinion on this? Also, I understand you have to purchase tickets for this and there is usually a long line. Does the ship include the price of the tickets in their fee for the excursion? Thanks

I don't know about the Infinity's version of this tour but we did a very similar one on the Island Princess cruise to Hawaii we took last fall. On ours the ticket costs to both was included in the cost of the tour. You can probably check with Celebrity to verify this is the way they handle it.

By the way it was an excellent tour and we were both very moved by the experience.

Have a great next cruise.

Konnie: Whether you go through the ship or go on your own, you should do this. I can't answer about the cost of tickets, but let me address this issue. The Arizona is free, but the entry tickets are first-come-first-served. The lines can get very long if you don't go first thing in the morning. There is a film you watch before going over to the memorial and there is a museum/historical area you can tour before or after your trip to the actual memorial.

The Missouri tickets are not free, but it seems to me that you can purchase them in advance. There is a website that lists the hours, entry costs, and various tours. You do not go over to the Missouri on your own. You get tickets at the Bowfin and take a bus over to the ship. We reserved and paid for our tour online; I don't know if you can purchase the regular tickets online, but it would make sense.

Our first time, we did just the regular entry, tour the open areas on your own thing; the second time, we took the Explorer's tour (I think that's what it is called). It's an in-depth, go down where "regular" people can't go with a guide (ours really knew his stuff and was entertaining as well), get a ticket for lunch thing. We had to wear special gear and were given a souvenier water bottle lanyard (to keep) and cold water to have on the tour. We also had special flashlights (didn't get to keep those--rats). It was absolutely fantastic. DH and I both have disabilities, but it was not so taxing that we had problems. You must be able to climb stairs however. At the end, you get a special "Missouri passport" with a commemorative card. (Okay, I realize I'm gushing here, but it was just so interesting.)

One thing I did that I thought was kind of cool was that I took a picture of the Missouri while we were on the Arizona memorial; then I took a picture of the Arizona memorial while we were on the Missouri--a little symmetry, the beginning and end of the war.

Another note, you can't take any bags (not even waistpacks) with you for either activity. (At least that's how it was in 2003.) You can take a camera, water/soda, plus your ID, etc., which must fit in your pockets. There is a place to check your backpacks, etc. (I think it was $2 per bag, but I'm not sure).

If you will be in Oahu overnight, I highly recommend that you do these tours on your own (and the Bowfin if you want and have time). Just get a taxi (or rental car if you have one) and go as early as possible in order to get in the Arizona line. If you are not overnight, you might want to take the ship's excursion. I'd contact the cruiseline about what is included. It may be listed on the website?

The whole thing was very moving for me.

beachchick

Another note, you can't take any bags (not even waistpacks) with you for either activity. (At least that's how it was in 2003.) You can take a camera, water/soda, plus your ID, etc., which must fit in your pockets. There is a place to check your backpacks, etc. (I think it was $2 per bag, but I'm not sure).

beachchick

Just wondering about checking your bags/purse. What type of storage facilities do they have and are they secure? It would be great if they had lockable storage lockers.

Archived