What time should we arrive at the port?

FLIP FLOP GAL

Hi all, I'll be sailing on the Eclipse on the 3/17 sailing, and I'm trying to decide what time to get to the port in order to embark?

I live in South Florida, so, I have the luxury of just driving there anytime...so, that's not an issue. I'm more or less wondering what is open while the ship is in port (food, bars, etc)? Also, what time are the cabins usually ready?

Supposed to sail at 4:30.

Thanks all!!!

You can usually start boarding around 11AM, or very shortly after that. All public areas and several lunch areas of the ship will be open. The cabins should be ready about 1PM, I think you have to be all checked in no later than 90 min before sailing time, but I'd want to be on earlier. If you want to cut it close and get on late don't take my word, nor anyone else's here on Cruise Critic, check with Celebrity or your cruise docs for the last time to board.

In addition to having time to settle in, explore the ship, and have lunch, we like boarding relatively early so we will, hopefully, get our luggage delivered in time to all or most of our unpacking before the muster drill which will be about 30 to 45 min before your sailing time.

I also live in south Florida so we usually arrive around 10:30 to 11:00am. The other people will be gone from the previous cruise and the new people will already be arriving by then. Trust me we have done this many times. Especially the people that arrive on early flights will arrive before that. There are usually a couple of hundred people there by the time we arrive. Happy sailing.

10:30 is an excellent time. You may have to wait a short time but it is worth it to get the vacation started as quickly as possible. We were on the eclipse in January we were boarded and had lunch and drinks in hand by 11:30. There is a bar in the buffet however due to stocking they may not have everything on hand but will be able to accomodate most things. The Sunset bar and pool bars will be open fairly quickly as well. Have a great time.

Hi all, I'll be sailing on the Eclipse on the 3/17 sailing, and I'm trying to decide what time to get to the port in order to embark?

I live in Somuth Florida, so, I have the luxury of just driving there anytime...so, that's not an issue. I'm more or less wondering what is open while the ship is in port (food, bars, etc)? Also, what time are the cabins usually ready?

Thanks all!!!

Since I'm sailing on the 24th my request is to get off early. Have a great time but don't use up all the good times, save some for the rest of us.

I live in South Florida, so, I have the luxury of just driving there anytime...so, that's not an issue. I'm more or less wondering what is open while the ship is in port (food, bars, etc)? Also, what time are the cabins usually ready?

Thanks all!!!

Oh you live in South Florida do you?

I only have approximately 4200 miles from my house to the Port.

I reckon after all that travelling to be in your company you owe me a bottle of bud!!!

Can you take your carry on luggage to your cabin, if it is not quite ready, or do you have to take it with you to wherever you want to have lunch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Can you take your carry on luggage to your cabin, if it is not quite ready, or do you have to take it with you to wherever you want to have lunch?

The official policy is that you have to keep your luggage until your stateroom is ready. Some people do go to their stateroom to drop off their carry on despite this. Be aware that your stateroom may be left open and unlocked before it is completed and an announcement is made that the staterooms are ready. Different staff are entering the cabins during this time period to do their specific job and they often leave the doors propped open when they leave. As a result your items might not be secured if you chose to leave them during this time period. If you choose to leave things in any event you should find and inform your stateroom attendant so they will know that you have done this and that the items were not items forgotten by the prior occupant. Also in some cases the fire doors are closed to prevent access to certain stateroom hallways prior to them being officially open to guests.

Thank you for that very helpful & concise reply. I have cruised primarily with Princess before and whilst boarding is usually not until around noon, the cabins are always ready by then. Great point you make about the reduced security with cabin doors left open.

You probably should carry your carry on luggage with you because you might not be able to get to your cabin. It is a pain if you want to go around the ship exploring but I still think it is sooooooooooo worth it to

get there at 10:30 am and be about the first ones on the ship. The ship is very empty and you are the first ones at the buffet. Butttttt you then have to wait to get in your room until about 1:00 PM. :eek::eek::eek:

Thanks all!!!

I like a more relaxed start to my holiday so have found that boarding around 1PM avoids the line-ups of early birds. The one time we went at 11AM there was a huge line-up boarding and another mad house at the buffet. Arriving at 1 meant we walked right on, had a nice lunch and our room was ready by the time we left the buffet. Works for me!

Do they start checking people in at 11:00 or is that the time you can board after checking in?

There is no hard and fast time; it depends on whether or not the prior sailing arrived on time, cleared customs quickly, had a smooth debarkation and has no maintenance issues that need to be addressed. I have seen boarding start as early as 10:45, but other times it is delayed until some time in the afternoon. Often they start checking people in before boarding is ready. Arriving early does provide you with the opportunity to be among the first on board and extend your time on the ship, but you do have to be prepared for the possibility of a long wait at the cruise terminal if boarding is delayed.

We are in the early-bird bunch also, arriving usually between 10:30 and 10:45 I'm a people-watcher, so I like to cross-paths with some of the folks from the previous cruise, as well as watch my fellow cruisers arriving at the port. It's interesting to me. Also, once we get onboard and have lunch, we usually play basketball and ping-pong, then we do a self-tour of the ship. It's a great time to take pictures as the ship is not crowded nor is it moving. Three more weeks and I'll be getting ready to head for the port!

I like a more relaxed start to my holiday so have found that boarding around 1PM avoids the line-ups of early birds. The one time we went at 11AM there was a huge line-up boarding and another mad house at the buffet. Arriving at 1 meant we walked right on, had a nice lunch and our room was ready by the time we left the buffet. Works for me!

We too are now members of the "later-boarding" group. For our first couple of cruises...we were early birds...but now, we'd rather enjoy a leisurely lunch in the City of Embarkation; arrive at the ship between 1-2pm, and have rarely encountered any lines; our cabins have always been ready; and we unpack and enjoy our bottles of sparkling wine on our balconies; catch a late snack in the Cafe if somehow we are still hungry; head to the safety drill...and then off to the Sunset Bar !!

I normally get there as early as possible as it is the first day of my vacation.

So I have to carry my hand baggage but that is no big deal.

Get there before the crowds and enjoy a half empty ship if you have that option.

Archived