carry wine on...

vinman13

What happens if you accidentally pack wine in your suitcase?

Welcome to Cruise Critic. If detected in your checked luggage, you will get a note to go to the Naughty Room. Your suitcase will be opened and you will be charged the corkage fee at this time.

They give you a small sticker to put on the bottle for the $15., when the waiter opens the bottle at dinner he removes part of the sticker and turns it in for a $5.00 tip on uncorking the bottle. NCL keeps the $10. for who knows what.

If $5 of the 'corkage' fee is for tipping the waiter and $10 for bringing on the wine then why are you charged $15 to drink it in your cabin and not $10.

On HAL you can bring on as much wine as you like and are only charged if you drink it in a bar or restaurant.

Where do they charge this fee? Is it at security when you check in or as you board the ship?

What happens in ports (like Barcelona) where there is a wine shop between check in and boarding the ship?

I have looked at the prices on the wine list. For a wine which I can buy for €2-€3 ashore they are charging $30 plus 15% service charge plus VAT if in Spanish waters :eek:

That is an interesting policy. As one 'going back' to NCL after some years I am dissapointed to learn of this. Princess sends a nice message in allowing unlimited wine (believe me they have never been disappointed in our bar tabs) and even X allows two free bottles. It is nice to have wine in the cabin and as stated it is probably still cheaper to pay the 15 than to rely on room service. I assume that this means wine can be brought on at each port which is not allowed on the other carriers?

That is an interesting policy. As one 'going back' to NCL after some years I am dissapointed to learn of this. Princess sends a nice message in allowing unlimited wine (believe me they have never been disappointed in our bar tabs) and even X allows two free bottles. It is nice to have wine in the cabin and as stated it is probably still cheaper to pay the 15 than to rely on room service. I assume that this means wine can be brought on at each port which is not allowed on the other carriers?

Yes, you can bring on in each port.

Archived