carry wine on...

vinman13

Yes, the easiest way is to keep it with your carry on luggage. There will be a table inside the security screening where you can put the $15/bottle charge on your onboard account.

You can keep the wine in your cabin or check it at a restaurant or bar. They will give you a claim check for full or partial bottles.

Whoa - I need to make sure I understand this. I am aware that there is a $15 corkage fee if you bring wine onboard and want to consume it in the dining room. But paying the fee just to get the wine on the ship? I didn't think that was the case. What if I simply want to have the wine in my stateroom?

Any wine brought onboard the ship is subject to the corkage fee, regardless of where you drink it. You will be well served by reading the FAQ's on the NCL website. Here is an excerpt

ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION POLICY

Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol.

With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, Norwegian permits young adults to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume alcoholic beverages when sailing on round-trip European voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.

Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00

1,000 ml Bottle: $ 20.00

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

It's getting to be a pretty common charge on a lot of lines. Confusion comes because of the title "corkage". Folks assume that means someone uncorking and serving the wine. Not the case, it's to reimburse the business for the lost revenue. Your allowed to bring as many bottles as you wish on board.

Yes, the easiest way is to keep it with your carry on luggage. There will be a table inside the security screening where you can put the $15/bottle charge on your onboard account.

You can keep the wine in your cabin or check it at a restaurant or bar. They will give you a claim check for full or partial bottles.

Thank you. I thought the $15 charge at security was the corkage fee until I read the post above asking if it was just a fee to bring it on.

Am I correct that the $15 you pay at Security is the corkage fee and the only time I will be asked to pay it?

Thank you.

Thank you. I thought the $15 charge at security was the corkage fee until I read the post above asking if it was just a fee to bring it on.

Am I correct that the $15 you pay at Security is the corkage fee and the only time I will be asked to pay it?

Thank you.

Yes, the $15 is the corkage fee and yes, that will be only fee that you'll be asked to pay.

Thank you.

You are correct....Enjoy...

It's getting to be a pretty common charge on a lot of lines. Confusion comes because of the title "corkage". Folks assume that means someone uncorking and serving the wine. Not the case, it's to reimburse the business for the lost revenue. Your allowed to bring as many bottles as you wish on board.

I don't believe that either HAL or Princess charges if you bring wine and drink it in your stateroom. Not sure about other lines. There is a corkage fee for public areas however. On Princess you can bring a bottle per person on board which was greatly appreciated.

If its a $ thing I think they'd should be equally concerned about the cases of soda I read that people bring on.

If its a $ thing I think they'd should be equally concerned about the cases of soda I read that people bring on.

If you call NCL, the reps will tell you that their official policy is that passengers are NOT allowed to take soda or bottled water onto the ship. But in practice, this policy is not enforced. Their focus is primarily on banning hard liquor and beer, and begrudgingly allowing wine onboard by charging the corkage fee. My belief is that the two policies are not equally concerning to NCL because alcohol sales on the ship generate far more income than soda and/or water. Could they attempt to enforce both policies equally? Sure, but I think they have concluded that actively prohibiting soda and water would upset too many passengers with less upside (onboard sales) associated with it. Of course, this is just speculation on my part.

Thank you.

They give you a small sticker to put on the bottle for the $15., when the waiter opens the bottle at dinner he removes part of the sticker and turns it in for a $5.00 tip on uncorking the bottle. NCL keeps the $10. for who knows what.

Yes, the $15 is the corkage fee and yes, that will be only fee that you'll be asked to pay.

Thank you. One of the questions in one of the posts started getting me confused into thinking there were two charges.

You are correct....Enjoy...

Thank you very much!

They give you a small sticker to put on the bottle for the $15., when the waiter opens the bottle at dinner he removes part of the sticker and turns it in for a $5.00 tip on uncorking the bottle. NCL keeps the $10. for who knows what.

Thanks so much! On RCCL, they too, are to impose a corking fee but that is done at dinner when you hand the waiter your bottle of wine. We've never really paid it though since my dh usually gives a nice cash tip at the beginning of the cruise (as well as the end) and the waiters never charged us, although they did on DCL. We have also taken in opened bottles of wine.

Anyway, it will be nice since its just my mom, dd and me taking the crusie that the charges can be done before we get on whether we open the bottle in the cabin ourselves or at dinner.

Thanks for clarifying.

If you call NCL, the reps will tell you that their official policy is that passengers are NOT allowed to take soda or bottled water onto the ship. But in practice, this policy is not enforced.

When I called NCL last week to book our cruise, the woman that helped me actually volunteered that soda, water, any sort of soft drink in it's original packaging could be brought on and kept in our room. She recommended one of those little fold-out wheeled carts to haul cases on board, lol.

Laura

When I called NCL last week to book our cruise, the woman that helped me actually volunteered that soda, water, any sort of soft drink in it's original packaging could be brought on and kept in our room. She recommended one of those little fold-out wheeled carts to haul cases on board, lol.

Laura

I'm surprised to hear that. This is possibly the first time (for me, at least) that I've heard about the reps giving out such advice. Good to hear, but I'm surprised.

Interesting...I didn't realize the waiter received part fo the $15 as a tip.

I don't believe that either HAL or Princess charges if you bring wine and drink it in your stateroom. Not sure about other lines. There is a corkage fee for public areas however. On Princess you can bring a bottle per person on board which was greatly appreciated.

cruised Star Princess last October-

we bought wine in almost every port and brought it to our stateroom

never any charge for this

sorry to hear ncl charges this fee

NCL doesn't limit the amount of wine that can be brought onboard. I think it is a very generous policy as we routinely bring a case or more on each cruise. Celebrity limits you to two bottles per cabin with a $25 corkage fee in the dining room. Carnival, one bottle ONLY (not sure of corkage as I don't sail Carnival very often); Princess, $15 corkage fee in dining room; Holland America, $18 corkage fee in dining room. Have no problem paying the fee and I can bring the wine that I want onboard.

The corkage fee is $15 per 750 ml bottle, which goes on your shipboard account. You can bring unlimited amounts of wine but will pay the fee for each bottle. You may then drink anywhere on the ship including your room.

Here is the official policy from NCL:

ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION POLICY

Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and on the final night of the cruise it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests are allowed to bring wine or champagne onboard.

These will be subject to the following:

$15.00 USD 750 ml bottle

$20.00 USD 1,000 ml bottle

$30.00 USD 1,500 ml magnum

Wines that are not featured on NCL's wine lists are subject to the corkage fee including wine sent directly to the ship by Travel Agents, friends, family, from another retail source, etc. The bottle will have a sticker or stamp placed on it showing that the fee was paid, and that the guest will be allowed to have the product onboard. This fee will be charged to the guest’s onboard account. Wines that come in boxes are not allowed onboard.

I love NCL but--the wine fee is a real bummer for us.

Only thing I really like about Carnival is 1 750ml bottle can be brought onboard and no fee

I love NCL but--the wine fee is a real bummer for us.

Only thing I really like about Carnival is 1 750ml bottle can be brought onboard and no fee

One bottle! If brought to the dining room, you are going to incur a corkage fee. If taken to the specialty restaurant, the fee is even higher. I would much rather be allowed to bring on unlimited bottles for a modest $15 charge.

One bottle! If brought to the dining room, you are going to incur a corkage fee. If taken to the specialty restaurant, the fee is even higher. I would much rather be allowed to bring on unlimited bottles for a modest $15 charge.

We usually drink our wine on the balcony so 1 bottle is enough for us:)

HAL and Princess are not as concerned with nickel-and-diming you as some other cruise lines.

So in some cases, the corkage fee might be more than the cost of the bottle of wine itself?!

Archived