Falmouth Excursion help please?

KAWS

I have done the river tubing (which was incredible) but that's it. I would like to see Dunns River but can't really partake of the whole experience because of a mobility issue. I can walk without an aide, but with back surgery and knee replacement in the last year, I really need to be careful so climbing the falls is out. Just walking beside it is sort of yah ok to me.

Can anyone suggest something else that we can do? I've heard of a couple of tour operators on here but the tours that they offer all include either something that will be too strenuous or the river tubing that we've already done.

If not, I guess it's going to be Time N Place or Breezes, or just stay on the ship. Not really a bad option since it's the Oasis so it would just be like staying in a resort anyway.

Any suggestions?

I have done the river tubing (which was incredible) but that's it. I would like to see Dunns River but can't really partake of the whole experience because of a mobility issue. I can walk without an aide, but with back surgery and knee replacement in the last year, I really need to be careful so climbing the falls is out. Just walking beside it is sort of yah ok to me.

Can anyone suggest something else that we can do? I've heard of a couple of tour operators on here but the tours that they offer all include either something that will be too strenuous or the river tubing that we've already done.

If not, I guess it's going to be Time N Place or Breezes, or just stay on the ship. Not really a bad option since it's the Oasis so it would just be like staying in a resort anyway.

Any suggestions?

We are considering the walking tour of Falmouth. Does anyone know anything about it?

Carol

Ive been to Falmouth twice and love it here. First time, we took the free bus to shopping, and this past Feb we went to the beach. We loved the beach area and the people were really nice. Always felt safe.

The port itself has a great shopping area. Ive never done the walking tour,but would like to, and I think it gets good reviews. I love the gingerbread architecture. They also have a trolley and a horse drawn trolley that takes you around.

Ive been to Falmouth twice and love it here. First time, we took the free bus to shopping, and this past Feb we went to the beach. We loved the beach area and the people were really nice. Always felt safe.

The port itself has a great shopping area. Ive never done the walking tour,but would like to, and I think it gets good reviews. I love the gingerbread architecture. They also have a trolley and a horse drawn trolley that takes you around.

Do you know if the trolley does narration when it takes you around? I would like to know what I am looking at.

Thanks

We hired a private driver Dwain Bailey when our cruise docked in Ocho Rios March 1st 2012. He picked us up in his nice air clean van and took us anywhere we wanted to go. There were 5 of us ladies and it was $30 per person for 4-5 hours. He took us to Dunn's River Falls we did not go up the falls we took the steps since none of us wanted to walk up. He dropped us off there for 1 1/2 hours which was plenty of time. He dropped us off to do some shopping for an hour we drove through Fern Gulley stopped at a look out point where we could see our cruise ship and took some good pictures.We drove around to look at some of the expensive homes and resorts. We stopped for a lesson on the local plants which was very informative. Dwain is very trustworthy and we felt completely safe with him and leaving our stuff in his van when we were shopping. Everyone in town knew Dwain and he is a very safe driver with all the permits needed to take tourists around, which many of cabbies outside the gate of the cruise dock do not. contact him through his email dwainstours @yahoo.com tell him Dale from Colorado says hi. We really enjoyed our 1/2 day in Ocho Rios thanks to Dwain.

We hired a private driver Dwain Bailey when our cruise docked in Ocho Rios March 1st 2012. He picked us up in his nice air clean van and took us anywhere we wanted to go. There were 5 of us ladies and it was $30 per person for 4-5 hours. He took us to Dunn's River Falls we did not go up the falls we took the steps since none of us wanted to walk up. He dropped us off there for 1 1/2 hours which was plenty of time. He dropped us off to do some shopping for an hour we drove through Fern Gulley stopped at a look out point where we could see our cruise ship and took some good pictures.We drove around to look at some of the expensive homes and resorts. We stopped for a lesson on the local plants which was very informative. Dwain is very trustworthy and we felt completely safe with him and leaving our stuff in his van when we were shopping. Everyone in town knew Dwain and he is a very safe driver with all the permits needed to take tourists around, which many of cabbies outside the gate of the cruise dock do not. contact him through his email dwainstours @yahoo.com tell him Dale from Colorado says hi. We really enjoyed our 1/2 day in Ocho Rios thanks to Dwain.

hi Dale, the email doesn't seem to work.

Like many others, we utilized Patrice of Patmar Tours during our recent cruise-stop in Falmouth. Since we had already been to Ocho Rios twice before, Patrice and I decided on a "history/nature tour" which encompassed all the sites Christopher Columbus visited, plus a visit to the Green Grotto (which won't involve a very challenging walk). In addition we explored a plantation/Heritage site and stopped for lunch at a great jerky outdoor restaurant. I am sure she can help you customize your tour...since she did a great job for us. Her email is patbailey@yahoo.com

Do you know if the trolley does narration when it takes you around? I would like to know what I am looking at.

Thanks

Yes - there is narration on the trolley tour. It lasts about 35 minutes and makes one stop. It is a good way to see the city's residential and "business" section.

There does not appear to be a lot in Falmouth unless RC has built it.

Which beach did you go to? We're taking our kids, and I want to be sure we'll be on a secure beach and not harrassed- I've heard some locals can be very pushy. The ship option is $49/pp which seems like a lot of money for a beach day!

I was hoping to take a local cab to a nearby beach and enjoy a cheaper visit. Any suggestions?

Archived