QE embarkation question in Athens

teddy390bear

We just booked on the Nov 17, 2012 sailing on the Queen Elizabeth embarking in Athens. The itinerary says the ship sails at 9 pm. I called Cunard to ask what is the latest flight arrival time that I can get to Athens to make the Cunard airport to ship transfer. The Cunard representative told me 5:30 pm. I have since booked a flight to arrive at 5:15 pm. I know this is cutting it close but we did not want to spend a night in Athens. Now that I am looking at my booking reference online, it says Check-In Closes at 3:45 pm.

Since the office is closed at the moment, I cannot call and I'm freaking out and was wondering if I need to change our tickets and overnight in Athens.

What is everyone's experience? Has anyone arrived to Athens on a Cunard cruise the day of embarkation?

Rebook the arrival time. Period. Let me explain why. The airport is about an hour away from the City but it being Greece you have to plan for contingencies with traffic and delays with immigration/customs. We are sailing on the 05NOV voyage and we are flying from Chicago to Frankfurt and then onto Athens 02-03NOV. While this gives us a full day and a half, at a minimum with the connections to Athens via most of the major European hibs, you should fly out the 15th to arrive the 16th. One night in Athens is not a bad compromise to getting to the Piraeus with some time to spare. And if my memory of Plato serves me, the Piraeus is some distance down from the City.

• 3 weeks later...

I vote with Capitalflow- a minimum of one day early. When I cruise in Europe, I go 2 or more days early. I have personally experienced 8-hour delays; a group I cruised with once had the airline cancel their flight and rebook 24 hours later (I had gone 3 days earlier). They only had 22 hours to spare; the travel agent earned every penny of his commission rebooking them.

Always spend a day or two before a cruise to ensure you are there.

I always think of Mrs Bucket (er...Bouquet) running onto the Southampton dock as the QE2 sailed off, screaming "stop the ship!"

Better safe than sorry...reschedule your flight.

Archived