3 people, 2 cant go

scotty1980

if i book a room for 3 people and 2 of them decide they cant go, will i lose the deposit for the 2 or how would that work. i plan on going on the cruise no matter what. will i still have to pay for the other 2 even if they decide there not going?

If you book solo, you would pay 200%.

I would make the other two pay full desposits and not book ES as no name changes allowed and it could be a mess if both cancel .. then you pay for 2, but only pay one taxes and fees.

My sister and I booked, but she got married suddenly and was a no show .. and after the cruise, since I had paid for both of us, they refunded my credit card automatically for her add on taxes and fees. We just had her be a no show.

We also at one point added her new husband as a 3rd, but put him at the past guest rate so he could cancel up until final payment .. which is what he did. his deposit was refunded since we made sure to cancel before final payment. If we had booked him ES then his deposit would not have been refundable.

When he cancelled btw, I knew she would cancel, but my PVP said its better if my sister was a no show, so thats what we did.

if you book for 3 ppl and the other 2 cancel then you would pay for 2ppl, but only pay for 1 persons port fees and taxes.

Be advised that they may move you to a room that is for 2pp vs the 3 pers you will be in when you book.

If you book early saver then what happens is before final payment they can "cancel" their cruise but will lose out on the $50.00 admin fee and the balance will be held for a future cruise that must be used withing 2 years. If you paid their deposit then you will have to send in proof (credit card statement) that you paid and then they will move that held balance in your name to be used for future cruise. but hey, 400 bucks not a bad way to have for future cruise. You'll need to pay new deposit then that balance will be applied.

Happened to me for our very first cruise we found we were not going to be able to afford the cruise we booked, my friend was like, just cancel we'll do somethign else and i was like.. I want to do a cruise! found a great 5 day out of canada and we moved it to that cruise (that was just before early saver rates was introduced) when it was, i changed it to that rate prior to final payment. I was going with her or without same as you! but she went and we had a blast.

I am facing the same situation with my friend and may end up going alone. I paid in full for 2 people. If I end up going alone, I expect to pay only port taxes for 1 person and to get a refund of them for the 2nd person. I also bought insurance from a 3rd party and hope to collect from them for medical reasons at least for the cost of the insurance.

Trying to find another person to share with who I will only charge a fraction of the cost. Plus, I intend to have my TA transfer the OBC to me alone that both of us were getting.

MARAPRINCE

I am facing the same situation with my friend and may end up going alone. I paid in full for 2 people. If I end up going alone, I expect to pay only port taxes for 1 person and to get a refund of them for the 2nd person. I also bought insurance from a 3rd party and hope to collect from them for medical reasons at least for the cost of the insurance.

Trying to find another person to share with who I will only charge a fraction of the cost. Plus, I intend to have my TA transfer the OBC to me alone that both of us were getting.

MARAPRINCE

You can expect all you want .. I suspect you are just calling the add on taxes and fees port fees, rather than meaning the actual port fees/NCFS which are embedded in the cruisefare?

You will automatically get a refund to your credit card if you paid for the 2nd pax, of the add on fees and taxes, dont even have to ask for them.

Up to about 3 years ago if you went solo, they would subtract out the NCFs/port fees which are quite a bit, average over $50 per port, out of the cruisefare .. so they actually used to not have solos pay the 2nd pax port fees .. but its been at least 3 years since this was true.

.. though as i said I expect you meant the add on fees and taxes.

1. DON'T book early Saver if there is a possibility of your friends cancelling.

If you have booked early saver and your cruise is more than 90 days out, your friends will get their deposits back less a $50 cancellation fee each in the form of a future cruise credit that is good for 2 years from the date of cancellation. This happened to my friend who booked under early saver.

My other friend also cancelled (her Mom died) but she booked into our cabin at the regular rate so when she cancelled a few weeks before sailing, she got a portion of her money back based on the cruiseline refund policy/guidelines and then we submitted a claim to her trip insurance and got the rest of the cruise fare back.

Luckily, that still left me with my other friend so I didn't get stuck with solo rates.

Good luck.

My other friend also cancelled (her Mom died) but she booked into our cabin at the regular rate so when she cancelled a few weeks before sailing, she got a portion of her money back based on the cruiseline refund policy/guidelines and then we submitted a claim to her trip insurance and got the rest of the cruise fare back.

Just for the record, after final payment it makes no difference what rate anyone booked. The cancellation terms are the same for all rates.

The $50 fee for ES is only BEFORE final payment. After final payment ES has the same cancellation terms as all other rates.

You can expect all you want .. I suspect you are just calling the add on taxes and fees port fees, rather than meaning the actual port fees/NCFS which are embedded in the cruisefare?

You will automatically get a refund to your credit card if you paid for the 2nd pax, of the add on fees and taxes, dont even have to ask for them.

Up to about 3 years ago if you went solo, they would subtract out the NCFs/port fees which are quite a bit, average over $50 per port, out of the cruisefare .. so they actually used to not have solos pay the 2nd pax port fees .. but its been at least 3 years since this was true.

.. though as i said I expect you meant the add on fees and taxes.

The port taxes and fees are itemized on the billing statement. That is what I am referring to.

Happened several years ago on Princess and when my cousin joined me, I received a refund on the port taxes and fees that I had been previously charged for.

MARAPRINCE

if i book a room for 3 people and 2 of them decide they cant go, will i lose the deposit for the 2 or how would that work. i plan on going on the cruise no matter what. will i still have to pay for the other 2 even if they decide there not going?

this happened once to me. i booked directly through carnival.

they refunded me the third pax fare, and i paid for 2, but they did tell me to try to get another person to take that place, and i would just have to pay a name change.

this was before es.

Archived