Ruins with Ivan on 04/18

debbido

I wanted to let everyone know that we took the Chaccohben ruins tour with Ivan on 04/18, and it was truly a wonderful experience. Our ship was an hour and a half late, and we arrived about an hour late for our tour. Ivan was still waiting for us with sign in hand. He was absolutely corrent in suspecting that we would be intercepted at the taxis by another company stating that Ivan did not exist. Of course, we bypassed him and went anyway.

The trip took about 45 minutes, and Ivan filled us with much information all the way there. He answered every question to the fullest. We were at the ruins I guess about 2 hours, which was filled with so much history that I felt nothing was untouched.

Ivan is truly an asset. I would definitely recommend him for this or any tour.

Debbi

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Miracle, and booked our tour with Chacchobenruins.com (4/27). We were a little nervous not going through the ship, but after our experience with David and then with Yhony in belize (cave-tubing.com), we will never go through the ship again. David was one of the best guides I have ever had. He was very smart and knew so much about the country that the ride seems to take only a few minutes. We had a large group (16) so we did not get to meet Ivan (he was with another group). Even if you are unsure about wanting to see ruins, Davids knowledge of the land, animals, and history of the area makes the tour worthwhile on it's own. We learned so much. He had also spent a few years in Cozumel (which was our next stop) and since we had not booked anything for the island, he gave us directions to a great beach with a bar and food where we could rent snorkling gear (for only $11) and hang out. It was wonderful. As others have said, just make sure to ignore the cab drivers who say they are out of business, it's all BS. Just get off the bus and look for the Cats-Meow (it should be in your line of sight). We had a great time. And it was nice to be able to support a local company. Thank you David.

There is not a lot of walking, it's at a pretty slow pace, and you can't climb to the top of the ruins anymore, so there are only a few places where you are climbing the stone stairs. Plus David would stop and talk where there were places to sit. I would say the biggest thing is the heat, so make sure to bring water (actually Ivan and David brings some so make sure to grab a bottle before you go). We had a girl with us who was pregnant, and I think the heat got to her more than her feet. I wore tevas, and my feet were fine, just a little dusty.

dewcrew - we'll be on the Miracle next week, so I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me.

We are in CM from 10-6 ship time, but that's 8-4 CM time, and the tour is at 11 - I'm assuming that is 11 CM time (1:00 ship time). Is that correct?

Also, is "Cat's Meow" on the beach side or the other side, and is it anywhere near Tapas (if you noticed)?

Thank you! I'm so glad to hear that you had a good time; this is our first experience w/ non-ship tours, and we're a little anxious.

Lookin

It's ship time. We also docked from 10-6, and met David at around 11 ship time. What you want to do is get off as soon as possible and make your way through the shoping area at the dock to the bus area. There are a few small stands here, the first one you see sells tickets to the town (for $3). I think it also sells tours, so don't get confused. It's the only company that is allowed to sell transportation. They will bring you to the town (it's a short ride, maybe 5 minutes). They should drop you off right at the beach near a blockade that keeps cars from driving down the road separating the beach from the first row of shops. Go through the blockade, and the Cats Meow is maybe 50 ft on your right. Ivan or David should be waiting for you. If you want, there are pictures of both of them on their website, so you can know who you are looking for. If you are early just hang out in the cat's meow and have a drink. The owner is very nice and she is form Vancouver. We had margaritas with no problems. I would stress getting off the ship as soon as possible. We were at the front of the line waiting for transportation, and by the time a van came the line was very long. They had to start using buses. If I can answer any more questions please ask. And if you meet David, make sure to ask him what happened on his last dive as a guide. It's pretty freaky.

Have fun

Joe

Archived