chankanaab

TxChick

My DD is too short/young to participate in the encounters but curious to know what else is there. I've looked at the website but wonder if there is enough to do if we just purchased a day pass. What else is there besides the encounters? We will be doing the beach the day before at Grand Cayman so not really feeling another beach day.

i haven't been to chankanaab yet, so i'm probably not the best to answer your questions, but we've decided to go in april. we picked it because it seems like there's a lot to do there.

there's a nice wading type beach for kids, a pool, sea lion show, dolphin presentation, and manatee exhibits. plus there's a nice little ecotour area with tons of lizards and wildlife, and from what i've read kids seem to enjoy that.

the main reason we're going there is for the snorkeling, because there's supposed to be a ton of fish... she'd probably like to float out there with all the fish! :)

also... i think they offer submarine rides, if that's something you'd be into (about $100).

My 10 year old and I snorkeled after our encounter and my husband scuba dove. It wasn't crowed at all. There was a dolphin show that we missed...I'm not sure what times they do it but I heard that it was neat.

Side note...the food was awful.

We were there a couple of cruises back with our sons.

There is a fee to enter and they take credit cards.

They have the usual photo stop to hold an iguana or cockatiel for a fee.

There is a historical garden-walk that you can get a guide to take you around (no change they were only asking for tips) Quite educational and nice to be out of the sun at times. He said if he had a dollar for everytime someone asked about the mayan calendar and 2012 he would be rich.

Part of the garden tour goes through some typical housing. They had a tortilla and salsa demo (no charge) that was good.

There is a large pool inland that you cannot snorkel at any more but the fish are nice to watch.

The snorkeling is good from the steps.

There are palapas and lounges chairs (no charge). Bar service and snacks (nachos etc) are available from the servers walking the beach (not pushy, ask once and that`s it)

We will be doing the beach the day before at Grand Cayman so not really feeling another beach day.

I would pass if you aren't looking for another beach day as aside from the encounters, it's just the beach and a nice swimming pool and pretty grounds. They do have some restaurants and the food was very good and reasonably priced. There was a sea lion show but that would only occupy about 20 minutes of your time.

My 10 year old and I snorkeled after our encounter and my husband scuba dove. It wasn't crowed at all. There was a dolphin show that we missed...I'm not sure what times they do it but I heard that it was neat.

Side note...the food was awful.

We've been there several times and the food has been wonderful! Waiters come by and take your order and deliver it right to you. No pressure, though.

Snorkeling is great and the palapas and chairs are nice. It might be too hard for a very little kid to get in and out to snorkel, but my niece and nephew did it and they were about 5 and 7 at the time.

Archived