Woman hoisted from NCL cruise ship

sparkey2030

Best wishes for this person. I hope they are members of CC and find this thread to comment on once they restore their good health.

I never want to end my cruise vacation in this manner.

bruce...

I pretty much never want to take a helicopter ride. When you need one, it's not for a good reason!

It depends on which Travel Insurance you buy. Most Travel Insurance do have emergency medical evacuation, but only when you get to the next port. Meaning, it will not cover the cost of having a helicopter pick you up directly from the ship. I assume that you will need to have Travel Insurance that includes Rescue in order to cover going directly to the ship.

BTW as far as I can determine no country charges for the picking up by a governmental helicopter in an emergency. However, I have had insurance pay for a plane to come and pick up people on Safari-at the closest air "strip" airport does not describe what these really are ...and it can alternate as the road too. What insurance covers is once you are on land getting you to appropriate facility. Most insurance covers bringing you to a reasonably equipt hospital and most will also cover getting you back home when stabilized. Some will cover taking you to the hospital of your choice.

It depends on which Travel Insurance you buy. Most Travel Insurance do have emergency medical evacuation, but only when you get to the next port. Meaning, it will not cover the cost of having a helicopter pick you up directly from the ship. I assume that you will need to have Travel Insurance that includes Rescue in order to cover going directly to the ship.

That's a scary thought. I've always operated under the assumption that travel insurance evacuation benefits covered medical evacuation from the ship, which can run $20k+.

I looked briefly at the evac provisions of medical policies on insuremytrip.com but I didn't find language that addressed cruise ship air evacuation.

Do you have specific information on what language to look for in the policy?

Do all of the Jewel class ships have this? I don't remember it! I'm getting old......that's my story and I'm sticking to it......

If you weren't staying in the Courtyard, you may not have had access to it. Ever wonder what that key slot in some of elevator panels is sometimes used for? ;)

Nope. When an aircraft carrier needs to launch or land planes, does it stop? No, it keeps going because that is the safest thing for aviation.

Same for the Coast Guard helos. A moving ship is more stable than a stationary one. Safety requires the ship be steaming ahead.

Interesting, makes sense when you explain it that way, I learned something new today. Thanks!

NCL Sky 3/19/12

Archived