Woman hoisted from NCL cruise ship

sparkey2030

The U. S . Coast Guard transported a 47-year-old woman off a cruise ship Friday evening via medevac .

The captain of the Norwegian Jewel cruise ship contacted the Coast Guard around 5 p.m. to report a woman on board had abdominal pains and needed medical attention, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

A MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter and an HC-130 Hercules airplane crew from Coast Guard Station Elizabeth City responded to the cruise ship that was 115 miles northeast off Cape Henry.

The helicopter crew successfully hoisted the woman and her husband off the cruise ship around 7 p.m., according to the release.

Lt. Nicholas Hazlett, the co-pilot of the helicopter commended all that were involved in the successful operation.

"It is always good when hard work and preparation come together in a successful mission," he said.

"This was a combined effort of the MH-60 and HC-130 to complete this medevac. The coordination from Sector Hampton Roads and District Five were noteworthy in executing this successful mission. Additionally, the Norwegian Jewel's preparation in receiving the hoist was paramount in orchestrating a swift rescue."

The couple was taken to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.

WAVY-TV 3/12/2012

We were on this cruise and the captain and crew made a few announcements throughout the process to let us know what was going on and also to stress for passengers to stay away from the area. It seemed to go very smoothly and hopefully the passenger is doing well.

We were on the Jewel in Dec. '10 and they had to take a 15 yr old sick boy off the boat. Don't know how I heard about it but we went looking out our front balcony, nothing, then my husband went to the side balcony and boom, there they were taking him off. I was to scared to look over.....thought I would fall off. :eek:

It appears in the begiining of the video that the ship is still sailing. I would have thought the would have stopped the ship during the evac process. Guess they have a schedule to keep.

NCL Sky 3/19/12

Nope. When an aircraft carrier needs to launch or land planes, does it stop? No, it keeps going because that is the safest thing for aviation.

Same for the Coast Guard helos. A moving ship is more stable than a stationary one. Safety requires the ship be steaming ahead.

Nope. When an aircraft carrier needs to launch or land planes, does it stop? No, it keeps going because that is the safest thing for aviation.

Same for the Coast Guard helos. A moving ship is more stable than a stationary one. Safety requires the ship be steaming ahead.

Exactly. Carriers also sail into the wind to increase airspeed and lift for takeoff and landing, but it certainly provides a more stable platform than if the ship was tossing back and forth in the waves.

Actually, the captain announced he was turning the ship to meet up with the Coast Guard. It felt like we may have slowed down slightly but we never stopped. We returned to our normal course and arrived a bit early as the capt had announced before this situation had begun.

This looks like the answer to the age old question: "Do I need travel insurance?"

It depends on which Travel Insurance you buy. Most Travel Insurance do have emergency medical evacuation, but only when you get to the next port. Meaning, it will not cover the cost of having a helicopter pick you up directly from the ship. I assume that you will need to have Travel Insurance that includes Rescue in order to cover going directly to the ship.

Archived