Need info re Prague to Budapest currency

we will be on river cruise,,and going to 3 countries,,2 don t take euro yet,,I think...do most people get 3 country currencies beforehand??Hope they take euro??use ATM s when you get there??\

Any good internet site to get money and charge to credit card>??We usually just get some at airport from kiosk when we land,,any ideas??:confused:

Have you asked the bank you deal with what they charge to get foreign currency?

We did a Northern Europe cruise with 8 different currencies I just got a bit of each then hit the ATM if I needed more

You don't say which countries, but Hungary uses the Euro and Prague (Czech Republic) uses the Koruna (about 25 to a Euro) but I am told many tourist type places, restaurants etc, will take Euros.

The best way to get small amounts of local currency anywhere is to use an ATM and a debit card. Credit cards will charge you interest on a cash withdrawal, so should be avoided if possible.

Hungary actually uses the forint....not the Euro. It is very easy to get once you get off of the ship. There are ATM machines everywhere. One of the main shopping streets on the Pest side is Vaci Utca. There are plenty of ATM machines there. You can check the exchange rate online. You can also use credit cards in most of the shops and restaurants. Prague also has plenty of ATM machines where you can get currency easily.

Hungary actually uses the forint....not the Euro. It is very easy to get once you get off of the ship. There are ATM machines everywhere. One of the main shopping streets on the Pest side is Vaci Utca. There are plenty of ATM machines there. You can check the exchange rate online. You can also use credit cards in most of the shops and restaurants. Prague also has plenty of ATM machines where you can get currency easily.

Been to both places on separate trips, & can confirm Emsmom's post.

We took local currency (but nb UK sources give much better rates than US banks) & juggled cash & cc purchases to use all our local shrapnel, so we didn't need to worry about acceptability of the euro. We also took some of our own currency in reserve & noticed plenty of bureaux de change. But both cities are some distance from the nearest corners of euroland, so euros may prove difficult to use.

Prague - Old Town Square (be there on the hour for the anatomical clock & trumpeter) & nearby Charles Bridge is where it all happens, lots else in that area, incl a gory torture museum :eek: but don't waste your time or money on the cheap little so-called "canal cruise".

Prague Castle is well worth the effort (mebbe by using the ho-ho)

Did my revising on this excellent website:

http://www.prague-guide.co.uk/

What I couldn't find on the website was any detail on the black light theatres. Google Prague black light theatres. We went to a show, very enjoyable & very different, make sure its one with actors, not just puppets.

Budapest - a very similar city, divided by the river. Not as much to see as Prague, but a pleasant city centre to stroll. Again an excellent castle - access this from the river by the funicular.

Have a great cruise

JB :)

Archived