Help me decide: Destiny or Imagination???

PaddleAddict

I want to surprise my husband with a short cruise for his birthday. I've narrowed it down, but now I'm having a hard time deciding between Destiny and Imagination. I need some help!

Here are the three I'm deciding between. They all leave from Miami and the price is about the same for each itinerary.

4-days on the Imagination (Key West and Cozumel) in a suite

4-days on the Destiny (Key West and Cozumel) in a balcony

5-days on the Destiny (Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau) in a balcony

Now I know some people will say it's a no-brainer and I should take the 5 day over the 4 day. But I really love Cozumel and I've always wanted to see Key West. Plus, if I do the 4-day on Imagination we will be in a suite!

I've never been to Grand Turk or Half Moon Cay. I am not a fan of Nassau at all.

We really like to snorkel... I know we can do this at Cozumel and maybe Grand Turk?

I am really torn and I can't hash it out with hubby because it's a surprise! What should I do?

Personally I would go for the 5 day one going to grand turk and half moon cay! That is a great route! 5 days vs shorter and from what i heard the suitesvare much smaller on the fantasy class, not sure its worth the money, but thats subjective!

I did the Imagination to Key West & Cozumel for Thanksgiving 2010. I did love the ports BUT, the time in Key West isn't that great. I think its 7am-2pm? Not really the best amount of time to stay there. Cozumel too is I think 1pm-10pm. Most of the beaches close at 5pm. I was in a Jr Suite on the Imagination in October 2010 so if you are looking at that, the room really isn't that large. Ocean Suites are larger. You don't state which one you are looking at.

Right now, I am booked on the Destiny in May. I can't wait to see HMC and sit in my Cabana. Grand Turks we have to leave by 2pm but we booked a catamaran sail and for Nassau, been there twice, I will enjoy the quiet of the ship. There are things to do there though if you don't want to sit on the ship. In October, we went to the British Colonial Hilton. It was a great place, relaxing & quiet. I guess it depends what you want out of the cruise.

I would say the balcony on the Destiny would be a better choice. 3 ports vs 2 ports and 5 days vs 4 days...

I'm sure which ever one your choose, your husband will love it...good luck!

It's a no brainer...Destiny..going to HMC/GC/Nassau. I agree with the others..HMC is gorgeous and a cabana is the way to go and would make a great birthday present. If you are not crazy for Nassau, you can stay on the ship and make it a "spa" day.

No matter what you choose..have fun!

I would do the Imagination. Personally I like the overall smaller size of the Imagination and it seems to not be as crowded at the different venues since less people onboard. Imagination is 70,367 tons with 2056 passengers versus Destiny is 101,353 tons with 2642 passengers.

What is there to do in HMC? We are not the type to lie around in the sun all day, we'd rather be snorkeling or hiking or sailing or something along those lines. What about Grand Turk?

Thank you for pointing out the odd port times. I agree tha 7 am to 2 kind of sucks. I am not going to be up at 7, I can tell you that!

IMHO the 5 night on the Destiny, HMC and Grand Turk are both really fun and you'd get to sail on her before she goes in gets remodeled and becomes the Sunshine. Than maybe next year you could book the Sunshine out of NOLA and see all the changes! :);)

What is there to do in HMC? We are not the type to lie around in the sun all day, we'd rather be snorkeling or hiking or sailing or something along those lines. What about Grand Turk?

Thank you for pointing out the odd port times. I agree tha 7 am to 2 kind of sucks. I am not going to be up at 7, I can tell you that!

I have a cabana booked at HMC because I am the lie around and sun all day type. There are excursions to do but only through Carnival since its their private island. I read somewhere that it has a hiking trail. Grand Turks, people rent golf carts and explore the island and I did see some snorkling excursions listed. I have a Catamaran Sail, Snorkel and Beach booked that has great reviews. Nassau has lots of excursions listed and if you check out the Port of Call boards, you'll see lots of recommendations.

Check out the Carnival Excursions for each port will give you a better idea on whats available for you to do. I'm sure you'll find something that interest you. I still vote for the 5 day. Who can't use one extra day on a ship?:D

Destiny is a nicer ship and the 5 day has better ports.

IMHO Imagination is nicer, older but much less crowded.

Imagination is in good shape, and gets good reviews.

Destiny is in dire need of a makeover, not sure the sunshine one is good however, cause Destiny is soooo crowded at the buffets

do the math....1000 more people than Imagination but the same size buffet???

What should I do?

Love Coz? Hate Nassau? Want to Snorkel? New port for you (Key West?) A suite?

I say go Imagination and enjoy the suite, explore a new port, and enjoy the port you love with some awesome Snorkeling.

HMC looks boring to me. Just another crowded beach with little to do IMHO. And FWIW I never been there but I can tell its not for me. Just doesn't look like it offers anything I am interested in (I live by a beach though so that might have something to do with it.)

I want to surprise my husband with a short cruise for his birthday. I've narrowed it down, but now I'm having a hard time deciding between Destiny and Imagination. I need some help!

Here are the three I'm deciding between. They all leave from Miami and the price is about the same for each itinerary.

4-days on the Imagination (Key West and Cozumel) in a suite

4-days on the Destiny (Key West and Cozumel) in a balcony

5-days on the Destiny (Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau) in a balcony

Now I know some people will say it's a no-brainer and I should take the 5 day over the 4 day. But I really love Cozumel and I've always wanted to see Key West. Plus, if I do the 4-day on Imagination we will be in a suite!

I've never been to Grand Turk or Half Moon Cay. I am not a fan of Nassau at all.

We really like to snorkel... I know we can do this at Cozumel and maybe Grand Turk?

I am really torn and I can't hash it out with hubby because it's a surprise! What should I do?

We've done that 4 nighter on imagination and had a great time. Only downside is no balcony, but obviously you would have one in a suite. That said, I would do the 5 night Destiny. A suite on Imagination will be pretty similar to a balcony room on Destiny. Grand Turk is awesome, good snorkeling as well. Nassau sucks, but what can you do. Go to a bar or something or chill on the ship. HMC will be your new favorite port, more than likely, it's awesome. Have fun!

We've done that 4 nighter on imagination and had a great time. Only downside is no balcony, but obviously you would have one in a suite. That said, I would do the 5 night Destiny. A suite on Imagination will be pretty similar to a balcony room on Destiny. Grand Turk is awesome, good snorkeling as well. Nassau sucks, but what can you do. Go to a bar or something or chill on the ship. HMC will be your new favorite port, more than likely, it's awesome. Have fun!

I'll be doing that same 4-night cruise on the Imagination. I already picked out the excurions and read up on the menus. But I haven't been able to find much information about the onboard activities. What are they like? Do they have organized sports games in the Lido pool, like water polo or volleyball, like they do at land-based resorts? And do they do any events for singles? (through Carnival, not outside companies, since I'm not doing a hosted cruise)

By the way, I ended up picking the Imagination for the itinerary. Somehow, Key West and Cozumel struck me as more interesting than the Bahamas. I'm actually kind of glad it's a smaller ship. Big ships, like Destiny, let alone RCCL's Oasis class ships, might seem too intimidating for a first timer like me. And the traditional ship shape (no pun intended) is nice too.

I'll be doing that same 4-night cruise on the Imagination. I already picked out the excurions and read up on the menus. But I haven't been able to find much information about the onboard activities. What are they like? Do they have organized sports games in the Lido pool, like water polo or volleyball, like they do at land-based resorts? And do they do any events for singles? (through Carnival, not outside companies, since I'm not doing a hosted cruise)

They list a singles meet/greet in the Fun Times...usually not that well attended

make sure to pick 2nd seating dining....ask for large table, if you are not seated with other solos/singles ask the Maitre d if he can move you

By the way, I ended up picking the Imagination for the itinerary. Somehow, Key West and Cozumel struck me as more interesting than the Bahamas. I'm actually kind of glad it's a smaller ship. Big ships, like Destiny, let alone RCCL's Oasis class ships, might seem too intimidating for a first timer like me. And the traditional ship shape (no pun intended) is nice too.

It really is a nice itinerary. We love Key West and Coz as well, even though we've been there a million times. Hemingway House and bars in KW are awesome. Imagination is a nice ship, most of the organized evens are similar to larger ships, and we found the entertainment to be similar as well. No realy games IN the pool, as it's usually pretty full, but plenty of activities thoughout the day. Nice serenity area that stays pretty quiet, awesome Waterworks which is cool for everyone, not just kids. Have fun!

What did you not like about the Imagination? I to had to pick between them but chose Imagination due to reading reviews here.

Well, it's been several years since we were on her sister ship, the Inspiration (in fact it was our first cruise.) We prefer larger ships.... and balconies now. The suite is misleading, because I'm pretty sure it overlooks the pool. We were on the Destiny a year ago prepared for a really old looking ship from the reviews I read. We were pleasantly surprised and thought it was in fine shape. When we went to a future cruise seminar back in Jan. '11, they were talking about doing a refurbishment this past November. They kept pushing the date out & now we find out why - they are doing MUCH more than they had originally planned. I can't wait to go back on her and see how different she looks!

I would go on Destiny. I love the ship. I prefer this one to the Imagination. I have been on all the Fantasy class ships and Imagination is my favorite of the class, however, I loved Destiny. I agree with the other poster though, the buffet lines can get long. That was a definate design flaw in this class.

The Imagination will always be my first choice for the Key West/Cozumel run. The ship is just a comfortable fit. Don't get me wrong, I like the Destiny but just like the size of the Fantasy class. The only issue with the Imagination when in Key West is that she docks at the Navy piers so its a shuttle to Mallory Square. The Destiny usually pulls in at Mallory Square so you get a few more minutes to run back to the ship before she leaves:D

Archived