Tortola on a Sunday

Grumpy8

I know that some shops are open because we drove into town on a Sunday and did some shopping and grabbed some meat and cheese at a great deli. Not sure about all stores, Pussers Pub opens at 11AM I think.

Try asking on TA or TTOL if you want more details

I know that some shops are open because we drove into town on a Sunday and did some shopping and grabbed some meat and cheese at a great deli. Not sure about all stores, Pussers Pub opens at 11AM I think.

Try asking on TA or TTOL if you want more details

Pussers Pub is that the hot spot everyone talks about?

Not sure what they're referring to, PP is a restaurant/bar with good pub food and a clothing store in the back, nothing spectacular though.

Spots that are popular on Tortola are Cane Garden Bay (beach bars like Myett's, Stanley's, Quito's, Bib Banana, Rymers and the Elms, and water sports), Smuggler's Cove and Brewer's Bay (for a nice beach), and of course Bomba's Shack is infamous for the full moon parties and the tea...

Not sure what they're referring to, PP is a restaurant/bar with good pub food and a clothing store in the back, nothing spectacular though.

Spots that are popular on Tortola are Cane Garden Bay (beach bars like Myett's, Stanley's, Quito's, Bib Banana, Rymers and the Elms, and water sports), Smuggler's Cove and Brewer's Bay (for a nice beach), and of course Bomba's Shack is infamous for the full moon parties and the tea...

Thanks a bunch...would you know if the Royal ship docks near town...or can you walk around to shops near by the dock?

Very few (if any) tourists go to Tortola for the shopping (there isn't much on any day of the week). St.Thomas across the channel is the shopping mecca. However, there are always good bars and restaurants open every day of the week (including Sundays), and the beautiful beaches are always open, and you can swim, snorkel, scuba, go sailing, etc. That's why people come to the BVI -- the beautiful outdoors. I've been going back since 1984 -- many times in our own bareboat charter, in resorts and on cruise ships. Once of the prettiest and safest places in the Caribbean. Last time was 2010 on a 10-day bareboat charter. I bought a T-shirt that sums up everything pretty well. It said "Days you can't forget, and nights you can't remember!"

Very few (if any) tourists go to Tortola for the shopping (there isn't much on any day of the week). St.Thomas across the channel is the shopping mecca. However, there are always good bars and restaurants open every day of the week (including Sundays), and the beautiful beaches are always open, and you can swim, snorkel, scuba, go sailing, etc. That's why people come to the BVI -- the beautiful outdoors. I've been going back since 1984 -- many times in our own bareboat charter, in resorts and on cruise ships. Once of the prettiest and safest places in the Caribbean. Last time was 2010 on a 10-day bareboat charter. I bought a T-shirt that sums up everything pretty well. It said "Days you can't forget, and nights you can't remember!"

Thanks Commodore...

My wife love photograph..any places we should check out? Can we walk to it? or do you know of a tour guide we can hook up with? Should we go to Jost Van Dyke ?

That shirt slogan works commodoredave!

Yes all ships dock at Road Town and there are several small shops within walking distance. Actually there is a great spice shop there, as well as several clothing stores and some artsy shops. St Thomas is the duty-free shopping capital of the eastern Carib as commodoredave mentioned, but there are some nice little shops on Tortola.

Pussers Pub is right there also and I often buy clothes there, but there are much better restaurants a short taxi away.

And I agree - on Tortola enjoy the gorgeous beaches or take an island tour and see the real beauty of the island. Then return for a longer stay!:D

Thanks Commodore...

My wife love photograph..any places we should check out? Can we walk to it? or do you know of a tour guide we can hook up with? Should we go to Jost Van Dyke ?

An island tour will provide several unbelievable photo ops. There are great views of CGB from the hill. My favorite during the day is the view from the Bananakeet of Carrot, Apple,& Long Bays, and Jost and Sandy Spit. This view from your balcony during sunset is amazing. The driver will stop there. If the bar is open have a Bananakeet drink (yum!), if not you can still get some pictures from there.

Thanks Commodore...

My fave spot in Tortola for scenery is Cane Garden Bay. You can take a taxi up the mountain, stop for photos, and descend the other side to the bay. Some great beach bars, restaurants and views. I also like Jost Van Dyck, especially Great Harbour and White Bay. But it's a bit of a trek for a day stop. In Road Town, you can walk or taxi over to the Fort Burt Hotel for lunch or cocktails and get some good photos of the harbour. My old friend Eddy used to own the restaurant there, and may still.

That shirt slogan works commodoredave!

Yes all ships dock at Road Town and there are several small shops within walking distance. Actually there is a great spice shop there, as well as several clothing stores and some artsy shops. St Thomas is the duty-free shopping capital of the eastern Carib as commodoredave mentioned, but there are some nice little shops on Tortola.

Pussers Pub is right there also and I often buy clothes there, but there are much better restaurants a short taxi away.

And I agree - on Tortola enjoy the gorgeous beaches or take an island tour and see the real beauty of the island. Then return for a longer stay!:D

You are right about the longer stay -- there are too many beautiful places to see in just one day. A good option is the Windstar cruise that goes to the BVI. We did it a year or two ago, and it was great. A lot more civilized than my bareboat sailing trips there!! By the way, the photo you see of me on my profile and posts was taken aboard our last bareboat charter in the BVI -- I believe we were anchored in Soper's Hole, West End.

Archived