What do I do while he ziplines

Momma Mojito

Depends on where you are zip lining. Some of the other facilities haev walking trails, etc.

Personally I'd say try it. We had one person who SWORE she was terrified of heights. By the last one, she was at the front of the pack.

I'm not sure I want to zip-line.... I am somewhat afraid of heights....but I know my husband does. What can I do while he is zip-ling?

Depends on where you are zip lining. Some of the other facilities haev walking trails, etc.

Personally I'd say try it. We had one person who SWORE she was terrified of heights. By the last one, she was at the front of the pack.

Thanks, maybe I will give it a try. Any suggestions on where the best ones are?

We docked in Puntarenas and went to the rain forest where they also have the aerial trams - I'm afraid of heights and absolutely loved the experience. We took the tram up to the zip lines, and for the first few zips, I closed my eyes when I jumped off the platform. Once I got used to it, I was fine - just didn't look down much, but definitely enjoyed the vistas up the mountains and to the ocean.

My husband wasn't interested in zip lining, and that was a mistake. He took the aerial tram round trip, and then just had to wait for us for about an hour - not very enjoyable, especially in the hot humidity.

I am having the same problem and look forward to some replies on this thread! My family really wants to zipline, but somehow I know if I put on my big girl panties and say I'll try, I will regret it and make the time miserable for my family. Fright does not describe what I feel, it is a physical illness and I think even a panic attack. Not worth it to me. However, WHAT DO I DO WHILE THEY ZIP? I'm trying to find a tour company that will take us as a group to the place to zipline, where I can do something (as suggested, a nature WALK, a beach, further sightseeing) because I don't want to sit for 2 - 2.5 hours doing NOTHING! Any suggestions are welcome. Puntarenas is the port.

As far as which ones, they are mostly the same, EXCEPT (and it's a huge one!) how you stop. There are a couple of methods. Some use a device that you pull on to slow down. Some have a brake stop at the end of the line. The one we did (the Original Canopy Tour I think - I had other issues with them as well) I think used hand braking, where you control your breaking with a gloved hand. It's actually the most accurate kind of braking, but also the hardest by far and not for first timers (I am very surprised a tourist focused place was using it.)

If you think you will be worried, ask your tour guide (I recommend JJ) to make sure that they use a line stop style braking. Then you don't have to worry about anything except the first step.

As far as which ones, they are mostly the same, EXCEPT (and it's a huge one!) how you stop. There are a couple of methods. Some use a device that you pull on to slow down. Some have a brake stop at the end of the line. The one we did (the Original Canopy Tour I think - I had other issues with them as well) I think used hand braking, where you control your breaking with a gloved hand. It's actually the most accurate kind of braking, but also the hardest by far and not for first timers (I am very surprised a tourist focused place was using it.)

If you think you will be worried, ask your tour guide (I recommend JJ) to make sure that they use a line stop style braking. Then you don't have to worry about anything except the first step.

Thank you, Being my DH and i have never done this we really appreciate your advice. I'm still considering this for myself but I know my DH really want to do this!!!

Momma Mojito - we took a tour out of Puntarenas with Okey Dokey Tours and we had the choice of either zip line or taking the crocodile man river boat tour. The guide asked when we were underway who was doing which tour. There were 2 people on our tour doing the zip line. When it came time to that part of the excursion the driver dropped them off first at the zip line and then took the rest of us to the river for our tour - about a 5 minute drive but he wasn't driving that fast, maybe a couple of miles apart. When our river boat tour was finished, the driver had already picked up the couple from the zip line and they were waiting inside the van - not sure how long they waited but probably not too long.

If that sounds like something that would interest you, with your group breaking up for an hour, hour and a half (I don't recall exactly how long) take a look at my post where I describe the day. I have his website in my post so you can contact him directly for more information if that sounds like your thing.

http://appytales.blogspot.ca/2010/06/port-of-call-puntarenas-costa-rica.html

Momma Mojito - we took a tour out of Puntarenas with Okey Dokey Tours and we had the choice of either zip line or taking the crocodile man river boat tour. The guide asked when we were underway who was doing which tour. There were 2 people on our tour doing the zip line. When it came time to that part of the excursion the driver dropped them off first at the zip line and then took the rest of us to the river for our tour - about a 5 minute drive but he wasn't driving that fast, maybe a couple of miles apart. When our river boat tour was finished, the driver had already picked up the couple from the zip line and they were waiting inside the van - not sure how long they waited but probably not too long.

If that sounds like something that would interest you, with your group breaking up for an hour, hour and a half (I don't recall exactly how long) take a look at my post where I describe the day. I have his website in my post so you can contact him directly for more information if that sounds like your thing.

http://appytales.blogspot.ca/2010/06/port-of-call-puntarenas-costa-rica.html

Thanks so much. Your blog is Fantastic. I'm really going to look into this tour.

Archived