okay, so why aren't there any #4's?

Aside from deck 4, why doesn't NCL use the number 4 in any of their cabin numbers? I know, weird question but I noticed it when I booked connecting OV cabins and the numbers end in 20 then 26. I thought, where is #24....so I looked around and the whole ship is that way, no 4's! I just found it odd, is 4 often confused with other numbers? Is 4 unlucky in Norway? what gives???:confused:

The number 4 is considered bad luck in some asian cultures. In Japan, the word 4 is pronounced similar to the word for death.

I think this is only on the Spirit which was originally built as the SuperStar Leo for NCL's "parent" company, Star Cruises. The other ships use the number 4 in their cabin numbers.

Aside from deck 4, why doesn't NCL use the number 4 in any of their cabin numbers? I know, weird question but I noticed it when I booked connecting OV cabins and the numbers end in 20 then 26. I thought, where is #24....so I looked around and the whole ship is that way, no 4's! I just found it odd, is 4 often confused with other numbers? Is 4 unlucky in Norway? what gives???:confused:

As mentioned above, asian culture does regard 4 as unlucky. However, except for the Spirit, I see 4's on a lot of NCL ships. Jewel class ships have them all over the decks...(Jewel, Pearl, Gem, Jade) Dawn and Star might be missing them as well... I didn't bother with Sky and Sun... because I know they have cabins that end in 4 from previous experience...

and it seems to be just the Star and Dawn. weird. even weirder that I noticed LOL! :rolleyes:

Both were originally designed for star cruises, to cruise in asia.

It's interesting that even I didn't realize that when I've been not doing much else in the last few days than staring at Star's deck plan trying to decide which cabin to take. :D

But what's even more interesting is that the newly built cabins on the deck 12 (built in 2010 on Star and in 2011 on Dawn) are also numbered like that, no cabin numbers ending with number four there either.

We have stayed several times in suite #14514. Never noticed there was a problem with the #4.

we were on the

epic in cabin 14141:eek:

we were on the

epic in cabin 14141:eek:

I think it has been established that the ships originally ordered or built for Star Cruises (who owns 50% of NCL) Which are the Spirit which was the SuperStar Leo operated by Star cruises before Transfer, and The Star and Dawn both ordered by Star Cruises as SuperStar Libra (the Star) and SuperStar Scorpio (the Dawn). These ships were designed to operate in Asia where the number 4 is considered unlucky. all other NCL ships use 4. The only 4 used in Dawn and Star are suite numbers 14000/14500 Garden Villa's.

The Chinese, Vietnamese, the Korean and the Japanese are superstitious about the number four because it is a homonym for "Death" in their languages

I just asked my Vietnamese wife about this today. She said shes never heard of 4 being unlucky, or if there is even an "unlucky" number other than 13 (a holdover from Western occupiers no doubt) However, 9 is considered to be lucky in Vietnamese culture.

Having said that, there is a variance in southern and northern Vietnamese cultures, so maybe in the northern Chinese border area its unlucky or something... Anyway, 4 in the Saigon area doesn't mean anything other than 4.

Just a side note, the words are not similar in Vietnamese:

4 - Bon

Death - su chet

That doesnt answer the question about why the ship doesnt have a 4 tho :p

At least it eliminates Vietnam as a reason!:)

If the ship came from Star cruises as suggested by another post, then maybe its in Malay culture. Star cruises is a Malaysian company.:confused:

Here in Southern California, with the huge influx from mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan, it is well known that homes with the number 4 in them, as well as homes that have bad feng shui are less likely to sell or sell for less. Our city government was submitted so many requests for address changes involving the number 4 which were costly in staff time, that they had to pass an ordinance saying they would no longer accept requests to change address numbers. The realtors in the community said it would cause certain homes, such as 444 Main Street, to be less likely to sell because many Chinese might have purchased the home with the intent to change the number.

Archived