okay, so why aren't there any #4's?

Superstitions are silly.

You may think they are silly and I may in fact agree. But there is a difference between tolerance and acceptance. Other cultures and sub cultures might believe differently and it is not silly to them. Just sayin'.

Four

Main article: Tetraphobia

Number 4 (四; accounting 肆; pinyin sì) is considered an unlucky number in Chinese because it is nearly homophonous to the word "death" (死 pinyin sǐ). Due to that, many numbered product lines skip the "4": e.g. Nokia cell phones (there is no series beginning with a 4),[4] Palm[citation needed] PDAs, Canon PowerShot G's series (after G3 goes G5), etc. In East Asia, some buildings do not have a 4th floor. (Compare with the Western practice of some buildings not having a 13th floor because 13 is considered unlucky.) In Hong Kong, some high-rise residential buildings omit all floor numbers with "4", e.g. 4, 14, 24, 34 and all 40–49 floors, in addition to not having a 13th floor. As a result, a building whose highest floor is number 50 may actually have only 35 physical floors

Bill

No argument here. But who gets to decide what's a superstition, a tradition, a belief, a faith? It gets fuzzy. Just saying.

Well said. Fours and 13s don't bother me, but my beliefs would cause others to think I'm crazy. :p

Well, I personally think all organized religion is superstition and silly.

And Donna, please! Calling something silly isn't a non-acceptance. I can accept that people have their superstitions. I have a right to label things just as much as you do and if I think something is silly, by golly, I'll say so. It's not personal. It's my opinion.

You want crazy? I believe in ancient aliens!!!!:eek:

Archived