Jones Act

firefly333

The law prevents free enterprise and inhibits tourism along the US coastline. It's an example of government regulations hampering tourism and business and it's cloaked in a veil designed to look like it protects US passenger cargo businesses from outside competition.

What other 'big picture' do you see?

While many will agree with you the cargo industry seems to have sufficient power and influence with the Congress and all of the many past attempts to repeal it have failed by a significant margin. If there were not strong proponents of the law, the government could probably care less if things changed.

Fire - When I first read you were doing B2B Alaska & Hawaii, I thought something must have changed because I remembered a post from a few years ago about someone not being able to do that. What a bummer!

We are the couple that got caught up in this...We booked the Spirit from Hawaii to Vancouver then the Alaskan fron Vancouver to Seattle in May of 2010 ...Then about 3 months before our cruise it was brought up we were in violation of the PVSA(some call it the Jones Act)..We finally got someone at Carnival that understood what was happening and they made us cancel our Alaskan cruise...We had already booked our flights and hotel and Carnival paid us the fee ($300) to change our flights because we had been booked for almost 4 months..So we stil have not been to Alaska....Dennis

You seem to be refusing to understand that Vancouver doesn't qualify as the "distant foreign port" that is required if a cruise(or back to back cruises in your instance) starts in one US port but finishes in a different US port. Until or unless you are willing to recognize this, you will continue not to "get it"

I just saw this thread brought back up today .. you seem to not have bothered to read the whole thread or you would know I already accepted it yesterday.

People should read all the OPs comments before jumping in to make a comment about a earlier post.

Sorry Firefly. I didn't realize that you ALREADY booked. I thought you were just looking to book.

Maggie

what I have booked is in my signature showing future BOOKED cruises.

I asked to move my cruise to Alaska back two weeks and thats when I ran into trouble .. so my signature is still correct.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've been searching the threads for an answer & can't seem to locate it... I will call Carnival tomorrow but thought I'd ask here.

Looking at the Carnival Liberty Eastern Caribbean in 2013. It sails from Miami to Grand Turk, St Thomas, San Juan.. etc then to back to Miami. Closed Loop. I have a friend who wants to get married in St Thomas then disembark in San Juan. Her & her new Husband would spend some time in San Juan & then fly back home to the US. They are US Citizens...

I think they would be in violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 since Grand Turk is not a distant foreign port. Am I correct? Or is San Juan exempt??

Please let me know! Thanks for all you help!

Sue

[quote name='cruisegirl29']Hi,

I've been searching the threads for an answer & can't seem to locate it... I will call Carnival tomorrow but thought I'd ask here.

Looking at the Carnival Liberty Eastern Caribbean in 2013. It sails from Miami to Grand Turk, St Thomas, San Juan.. etc then to back to Miami. Closed Loop. I have a friend who wants to get married in St Thomas then disembark in San Juan. Her & her new Husband would spend some time in San Juan & then fly back home to the US. They are US Citizens...

I think they would be in violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 since Grand Turk is not a distant foreign port. Am I correct? Or is San Juan exempt??

Please let me know! Thanks for all you help!
Sue[/QUOTE]

Nope no violation. They should be fine. San Juan is exempt from the pvsa.

Bill

Archived