Curious to Know

CRUISE4JANE

Forgot to mention that in the summer I tend to stick around the area. Spending just about every weekend camping in Maine. Cruises and "vacations" are great, but I don't think the is anything more relaxing then being outdoors, relaxing, and a lake. I heard there is camping on Vieques right on the beach. But I have yet to give this a try in the winter.

I am going to miss all my vacations when I get a real job.

We just "discovered" cruising was "for us" in 2010. It is so easy to see many places at once and only unpack once! :D

We will probably continue to cruise yearly, but would never give up the rest of our travels.

We take a big motorcycle trip every summer 1-2 weeks, many 3-4 day weekends.

We are going to TX next week for 4 days of motorcycling.

We houseboat for 4-7 days almost every year. July this year.

We go to Vegas, Tunica or Tahoe every year.

We are talking about buying a toy hauler for long distance motorcycling trips.

Many other misc trips, FL, TN, TX, etc...we love to travel!

I'm lucky to have enough vacation time to do an inexpensive cruise a year (lately), and also some road trips for sailing/RVing/visiting family. Also lucky that Dear Wife's schedule is flexible. So we mix it up, but I can also see how cruising might be some folks' one and only favorite sort of vacation.

My husband and I both grew up on land vacations. My family would take 2 weeks a year and go to places like Grand Canyon, Vegas all the time, Mt Rushmore, Oregon Coast (we are from Calif). In 09 we drove 5300 miles in 2 weeks and went through 11 states visiting family. Our first cruise was the Splendor fire cruise and we werent too traumatized not to take the free cruise they gave us, and felt that we should try it again.

We got a 4 night booze cruise for less than $300 pp which allowed us to have a cruise before our free one. I love cruising because after I get on board, everything is taken care of for me. I also love land vacations because we love to drive or ride our motorcycle.

After September, I have no cruises planned for several years, if at all. Next summer, we ride the bike out to Sturgis with friends, and the year after we are planning on flying to Cabo, to stay at Riu, for 5 days. I love vacations, by sea or by land. I dont care.

I just got back from a few days in Ocean City MD. I love the beach in the winter. Stayed right on the beach and looked at and listened to the surf for hours. Also spent 8 days in Florida about a month ago at Disney and Universal. My DD is getting ready to move to Cocoa Beach area so I'm sure there are many Florida beach vacations in my future. Love all these things but most excited about upcoming cruise in September out of Baltimore.

Cruisenanny--I am a crazy mortgage person too! And right now it is so stinking busy that you cant see straight!

Back to the topic--unfortunately we only cruise every other vacation. We haven't cruised since 09 and then we are going this year. We go to Vegas but I am afraid that our next several vacations will be driving vacations and will take the kid with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am very curious to know if any of you ever go on any vacations other than cruises. I hear that some of you go on cruises several times a year and can't understand why. I like cruises, but most of my vacations are on land.

Simply love to cruise but tired of Caribbean so, will cruise with Celebrity next Jan. for 2 weeks out of Singapore because CCL offers nothing like this type of itinerary. Spending a week in San Antonio in April, taking a week long train tour out of Denver in September, suppose to be on The Breeze in December but will probably move it back.

We do both. We live within 1 1/2 hours of Pt Canaveral so cruising is a quick, cheap, fun-filled option for us. We usually take a 3 day cruise in January (to reward ourselves for making it through the holidays without killing anyone...we're both in retail!), take a 4 day cruise in May with my son & his friends (early to mid 20's) who all think we're cool to hang out with (probably because we buy the buckets!!), go to Key West in July for 3 or 4 days for Hemingway Fest, & usually hit Vegas in the summer or in October for 3 or 4 days...then back to the grind. All of our trips are short...we like to party, so we need a few days after the trips to recover!

I am very curious to know if any of you ever go on any vacations other than cruises. I hear that some of you go on cruises several times a year and can't understand why. I like cruises, but most of my vacations are on land.

Yes. This year we are heading to Myrtle Beach over the summer. If we find a good cruise deal we may cruise over Christmas break or we could head to Las Vegas or somewhere else, we haven't decided yet. We have a future cruise credit on NCL and are waiting for the rates to go down on the NCL Breakaway. Hopefully for next summer, but we may wait if the prices don't go down.

In the last 11 years we have been on 9 cruises (see signature). In the last 24 years, since my first real trip on our honeymoon, we have had land only vacations to Los Angeles, San Fransisco, San Diego, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Death Valley, Mall of America, Wisconsin Dells, Madison, Chicago, Niagra Falls, Detroit, Poconos, Macinac Island and the UP, Petosky, Traverse City, Toledo, Sandusky, Orlando, Port Canaveral, Key West, Tampa, Lousiville, Indianapolis, and West Palm Beach. Many of these places we have gone back multiple times.

The only international places we have been to (besides Niagra Falls) has been on our cruises. Not that we won't ever do it, we just haven't had any opportunities to that have appealed to us.

We love both land vacations and cruise vacations. To me the best vacations are the ones that combine the two. At a minimum we always stay in the port cities the day before and after. A lot of the times we stay longer. We did NYC after our Glory cruise last summer. DD did the Rockette Experience. We visited with DGM in FL after our Disney Magic cruise, before our Inspiration cruise, and after our Elation cruise. We visited Daytona after or Elation cruise as well. Our very first cruise was a combination Disney Wonder/Disney World.

We like to keep our options open when researching a vacation. That includes not limiting ourselves to land or sea and if cruising it includes not limiting ourselves to a certain cruiseline. We just love to vacation. There are many, many more places I want to go both on land and on sea. I have a very long vacation bucket list:D. It's a good thing DH loves it just as much as I do.

Cruising is the only real relaxation for me. I own an RV but new husband doesn't like "camping". My son's a teenager and has moved on to other things. In the RV, my chores from home just followed me...I still had to cook, clean, make beds, take care of laundry, set up camp, tear down camp. I always needed a vacation to recover from my vacation. I've had enough years of that! Put me on a cruise ship and I'm a "Happy Camper"!

We did a lot of traveling in our motor home too. But the last couple of years it's been sitting in our pole barn. We outgrew it. With DS at 6'8" and DD at 5'11", they don't fit in the beds anymore. While I miss sitting around the campfires with them, I don't miss the work of camping...which always seemed to fall on me. I'm kind of glad we outgrew it and am ready to put it up for sale. I much prefer cruising and letting someone else do all the work :D.

My cruises are usually itinerary-based and I use them to scout out places to go back for a land-based trip. After my next RCI cruise in January (or probably a little later), I am probably taking a break for a while to do some land-based trips.

There is something about being someplace like Roatan for a full week and getting to know the locals and just chilling out.

When I lived in CA, we went to Hawaii every year and I miss it sorely, but the airfare alone costs me more than the cruise fare + flight to Miami.

We are very fortunate to have a camp on a pristine lake in Northern Ontario and spend about 4 months there - cruising is a bonus we do once every couple of years. Land is wonderful, sea is great - where ever we are as long as we are together is heaven. We are retired - every day is Saturday - we go to bed when we are tired - wake up when we have had enough sleep - eat when we are hungry - and drink whenever. Life is good

A couple of dozen cruises, but since we've been to more than one hundred countries, obviously a lot of land trips as well. I mean, cruise ports are in really short supply in Nepal, for example. Or Paraguay.:)

On the other hand, we've never been to Yellowstone, Bryce Canyon, Mt. Rushmore, ..... It always seemed like there would be plenty of time for national sites, but if we don't do it soon, old age will win.

I live as if I am always on vacation. I don't believe in waiting until retirement to enjoy life.

I agree. DH and I were married 5 years before kids. We traveled extensively after discovering a love for it on our honeymoon. I can't tell you how many times people told us our traveling would have to stop once we had kids...They were WRONG!! Our kids were great travelers...both of them flew for the first time at 6 months old without making any fuss on the planes and they handled car trips amazingly, better than many adults do. We have had a blast seeing the country and parts of the world with them over the last 17 years. I hope to have many more vacations with them and many more vacations with out them (DH and I love our adult only trips too). I couldn't even imagine waiting until I retire to enjoy the beautiful world God gave us.

A couple of dozen cruises, but since we've been to more than one hundred countries, obviously a lot of land trips as well. I mean, cruise ports are in really short supply in Nepal, for example. Or Paraguay.:)

On the other hand, we've never been to Yellowstone, Bryce Canyon, Mt. Rushmore, ..... It always seemed like there would be plenty of time for national sites, but if we don't do it soon, old age will win.

You do the opposite of us. There always seems to be a national site we want to see and have not been enticed enough by any international site to go there over going to a national one that we haven't been to yet. Someday maybe...but I still want to go to Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, Gettysburg, Philidelphia, Colorado, Seattle, Alaska, Hawaii, New Orleans, St. Louis, Washington D.C., Maine, Texas, Route 66...I could go on and on.

Since we discovered cruising in 2000, that's been it for us. We love the motion of the ocean, the sounds, the sights, the activities, and waking up in different tropical ports. We think we'd be bored at an all inclusive. We can sit on a beach for only so long before we go stir-crazy.

I know exactly what you mean regarding all inclusives. I was trying to decide what to give my husband for his birthday, either a cruise or a week at an all inclusive. After doing some research on all incluseves I came to the conclusion that people that go to them drink alot and that isn't our thing. Like you, I could only sit on the beach for so long before I would get bored. A cruise has so much more to offer as far as activities and entertainment are concerned.

I am actually heading to Paris for a week 3 weeks from today!

I hit up Alexandria for 5 days in the fall.

Last year I spent a few 4 day weekends in Hong Kong or Macau, one in Xi'an and one in Beijing.

If I could cruise everytime I went on vacation though, I might... I really dislike hotels.

I don't usually "vacation" per se. My idea of a vacation is to just relax at home or go visit my parents in MN. Thrilling, I know.

But I'm lucky and I get to travel a lot for work. Most of the cruises in my siggy were for work. I also travel to a lot of land-based resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico. I like both. To be honest, I prefer a land based resort to a Baja Carnival Cruise on a Fantasy class ship (yak). But I think I'd prefer a longer Caribbean cruise on a newer ship over a land trip. I REALLY loved our Royal Caribbean Cruise last month. I just wish cruise lines wouldn't stop short changing us lowly West Coasters so much!

We try to cruise once a year during the DS's spring vacation. We also do land vacations twice a yr to FL (we live in CA) to visit family. We also take 3-4 days ski vacations in the winter and 3-4 days vacation in Palm Springs, San Francisco, or other various towns across CA that we can drive to. We just love to travel.:D

I know the feeling. At 27, I've been to 30+ countries (I only count the ones I've spent the night in), hiked the Inca Trail, seen the Pyramids, and the Acropolis.

However, I've never been to LA, the Grand Canyon, or really more than a handful of locations West of the Mississippi. I recently decided, since I usually do two longer trips (7 days or more) a year, I would make one of them domestic. So now I've been to Yellowstone, San Francisco, and Disney World :)

Archived