Belize port compound

bobhsv

What exactly is inside the port compound? We are trying to decide whether to do a ship tour here or just come ashore for a few hours. Hesitant to go with a private tour re missing the ship in this particular port. Reading that outside this area is a bit iffy on your own. Is there enough to keep us occupied for a few hours?

Thanks, Jen

Hi Jen :)

Inside the compound you'll find lots of places to shop, a lot of people offering tours, and The Wet Lizard restaurant & bar. :cool: If you like to shop, you could probably spend a couple hours doing just that. We planned to take the water taxi to Caye Caulker, but it was rainy, so we just did some shopping and went to the Wet Lizard for snacks and Belikin beers. :D It's a nice place with a good view and we had a lot of fun... it will easily keep you occupied for a few hours.

We didn't leave the Tourist Village this time, but have before. We walked left, into town, and wouldn't really call it "iffy"... just dirty with somewhat aggressive vendors.

We really wanted to go to Caye Caulker and weren't worried about missing the ship. The locals rely on the water taxis every day. As long as you buy a round trip ticket, and don't wait for the last one back, you should be fine. Either way enjoy your day in Belize! :)

Thanks for answering and verifying what this compound is. I gather the tour operators inside are all reliable. May be able to pick up a short tour on the cheap, leaving time for shopping...nice. The Wet Lizard sounds interesting.

Jen

I was also curious about roaming the streets exploring Belize City. Did contemplate the Calypso Train Tour but read mixed reviews on it, that there isn't much to see.

the Calypso Train and city tour is waitlisted on our upcoming Crown Princess visit. I was hoping to get a city tour deal at the tourist village. I'm guessing they will be available.

Princess has also cancelled the Old museum tour for "operational reasons" :confused: so will be looking for that also. DW is willing, as long as we don't wander to far from the ship :rolleyes:

I highly recommend not roaming the streets Belize as soon as you leave the steel gate and barbed wire fence you will be swarmed by people wanting to sell you drugs or take you in there cars for a "special" tour... I honestly don't understand why cruiseships even stop there .. it looks like one of those old foreign prison movies.

After we left I could not find a single passenger on the ship who was not shocked by what they experienced.

I highly recommend not roaming the streets Belize as soon as you leave the steel gate and barbed wire fence you will be swarmed by people wanting to sell you drugs or take you in there cars for a "special" tour... I honestly don't understand why cruiseships even stop there .. it looks like one of those old foreign prison movies.

After we left I could not find a single passenger on the ship who was not shocked by what they experienced.

:rolleyes: It's kind of like certain parts of Ft. Lauderdale... or any city for that matter! ;)

:rolleyes: It's kind of like certain parts of Ft. Lauderdale... or any city for that matter! ;)

Ironically I live in Ft Lauderdale and I grew up in the south Bronx and trust me Belize is worst...

Where do you live ?

We went on Carnival Airboat Adventure. The bus pick us up right at the tourist village. The tour was very professional . The staff was very couteous. We were given ear protection. The city tour was very interesting. We didn't find the Belizian to be swarmy.

Ironically I live in Ft Lauderdale and I grew up in the south Bronx and trust me Belize is worst...

Where do you live ?

It wasn't Irony... I picked the Ft. Lauderdale reference on purpose. ;)

I'm from Sarasota, live in Orlando, and have spent a lot of time all over South Florida. There are parts of all these areas (especially the more urban ones) where you can/will be offered any drug imaginable. It may not happen MUCH by the country clubs, but even in Boca Raton, you can be aggressively approached by unsavory people. This is still no reason to discourage others from visiting Misner Park! :)

We have been to Belize a few times and I agree with this post, not to mention, there isn't anything of interest to see or do. Trying going to Youtube and searching for "tour of Belize City" or something like that and you will see what I mean. It is best to plan ahead and get out of the city for a tour (Cave Tubing, Snorkeling tour, ruins) even though all things of interest are at least an hour away and this is after the 20 minute tender ride into Belize. Also, for us, Tourism Village was very crowded, shoulder to shoulder when we first arrived and the same things in all of the shops. Tourism Village did not have a nice atmosphere. I post this not to discourage anyone because I think that with knowledge beforehand, you can adjust your expectations and plan according to make the best of it. Many I know that have cruised there all feel that way too, why do cruise ships even stop there? There are too many obstacles and issues with this port. But again, just plan ahead to make the very best of it.

This is also the one port that I would actually consider taking a ship tour. We did once and I felt better on a big bus vs. a small van with the very fast driving on the two lane highway with oncoming traffic!

We have been to Belize City by cruiseship. We did have a tour booked before going, which I would recommend here. The country is very poor, but has it's high points. Look thru this board to find something that interests you. Have a few Belikans at the Wet Lizard, make up your own mind about the area. There are Mayan ruins, beaches, cave tubing, diving, ziplining available.

We went out of the port area for a few minutes. We were bombarded by people with hair braiding, massages, asking us if we were straight, etc... My husband thought it was an interesting culture. We left after about 5 minutes. We had our kids with us, I think they were scared. We went to Bannister Island earlier in the day. We enjoyed it.

I thought the tourist compound was just more boring stores selling the same old tourist 'sh**'. I would not bother going just for that.

There are tons of tour operators inside and outside the area where you can find an interesting tour.

We did our own thing and took the water taxi over to Caye Caulker. It was great fun. Rented bikes there an just explored around.

What exactly is inside the port compound? We are trying to decide whether to do a ship tour here or just come ashore for a few hours. Hesitant to go with a private tour re missing the ship in this particular port. Reading that outside this area is a bit iffy on your own. Is there enough to keep us occupied for a few hours?

Thanks, Jen

The tenders now drop you off @ terminal 1. The restrooms are just between 01 & 02. They are next to the pharmacy & tanzanite int. Directly behind the restrooms is the double doors that release you into the street where the cavetubing.com independents are allowed to position. Across the street is the carvings & original Belize stuff that is open for barter. The street vendors here are really fun to negotiate. I picked up three mahogany carved pieces. A shark, dolphin and parrot for $13 each. The independent operator Y. Rosado has been our contact and guide for the last three times being here in Belize. My medicine was $11/30EA. in Belize & was $18/30 EA. in Cozumel. We had a great three cave experience, tamale lunch, safe trip and new equipment for tubing. I am 330 lbs. and was very comfortable during the float. The bus driver stayed with the bus inside the park and we lost Nothing during our trip. Timeline is very well organized since everyone goes to Caves Branch to do the excursions.

always best regards, BRIFRO

Archived