Victoria BC....Carriage rides...which one??

sharecruises

OK...I know this is not the Canada forum, but Victoria is on a lot of Alaska cruises, including Carnival Spirit :)

I really want to do a horse/carriage ride (I have enjoyed them in Coz, Belize, Bahamas several times, Ft Lauderdale, St Augustine)

I found two companies...both well rated

prices seem to be same

my idea is to get over to the "Harbour" area (shuttle or walk?? which do you suggest?)

and then do the carriage ride

I am looking at Talley Ho and Victoria Carriage company

Talley Ho says >>

Waterfront Tour 30 Min

Travel into the heart of historic James Bay, one of Vancouver Island’s oldest residential districts. See amazing heritage buildings, including the 1871 birthplace of Emily Carr, stunning stained glass windows and delightful gardens. The invigorating smell of salt air and the beauty of the Strait of Juan de Fuca will take your breath away as your carriage turns to roll down Dallas Road. Enjoy the panoramic view of the body of water separating Vancouver Island from the United States of America, while gazing at the snow-capped Olympic Mountain Range in Washington State. The tour finishes with a spectacular view of the British Columbia Legislature. Depending on the day of the week, this tour may instead guide you through historic downtown, introducing you to the history of Old Towne Victoria, and showing you North America’s second oldest China Town. Enjoy the hustle and bustle of Victoria’s downtown shopping streets and inner harbour from the comfort of your relaxing carriage ride.

Victoria Carriage Tours says>>

By The Sea Tour (30 Minutes)

We start our tour alongside the BC Legislative buildings and continue through the historic James Bay neighbourhood. Take in the magnificent architecture of some of the oldest homes in Victoria. We turn on to the Dallas Road waterfront to view the magnificent Olympic Mountains and stroll past Emily Carrs house. The tour winds it's way through the Inner Harbor and ends at our stand. (A downtown option through Chinatown is also possible depending on the time of day).

I plan to call/write both of them and see what they say and see who/which seems to provide good service but if anyone knows about them (or others) please do tell?

I will let you know what they say....this looks very cool

Someone said that if the trip was from the ship pier it would not be scenic, but my idea is to get the trip at the "Inner Harbour"

I am still up in the air about what to do for dinner that night...we have 2nd seating and of course will miss dinner

Remember..I am "herding cats" here LOL>> so "My" own preferences are not always number one, I have to bend and adjust to what others want

It will all "work" out I am sure tho...I am really looking forward to this

and I think the carriage ride will be sooo cool

thanks for help

Walking from the Ogden Point cruise terminal is flat and rather a pretty walk which takes about 20 mins. The shuttle works well and the cost is $8 pp rtn. A cab fare is $10 each way so if there is 3 or 4 there is economy in doing that. You can take a transit bus from just outside the terminal gates for $2.50 pp each way or $1.65 if over 65.

The two rides are very much the same and the service is the same. The views along Dallas Road are among my favourite anywhere but obviously aren't available after dark and that is why they have the downtown option.

For dinner ashore, the Bengal Lounge in the Empress Hotel is renown for there curry buffet. People speak very highly of Nautical Nellie's (although my experience has been average). Milestones on the the inner harbour is popular place. My personal fave is Pagliacci's but it can be difficult to get into. You care to try one of the many pubs in the downtown area as well.

You are correct, Victoria has not been annexed by the US it is in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

http://www.fairmont.com/empress/GuestServices/Restaurants/TheBengalLounge.htm

http://nauticalnelliesrestaurant.com/

http://milestonesrestaurants.com/home.php

http://www.pagliaccis.ca/

I agree with putterdude; it's an easy walk and scenic. At the end of May it won't be dark until around 9pm so plenty of time to enjoy the walk. The Victoria harbor is very lovely with the Empress Hotel and Parliament Bldgs and all the gorgeous hanging flower baskets. There's also a little putt putt boat that goes along the harbor and out to pier.

I'd say NO to the carriage ride... they try to ban it in many communities because it's such a tough life for the horses, so I couldn't support that. But that's just my personal choice.

p.s. here's info on the ferry, altho having just come off the cruise ship it probably as interesting to you .... http://victoriaharbourferry.com/

Archived