knowjamaica

dbmac235

I am cruising with my husband & 3 teenagers on Freedom of the Seas in October. One of our stops is Falmouth. We want to climb Dunns River Falls and go tubing.

After reading a lot of reviews, we have decided to tour with knowjamaica. I am a bit confused on the cost, though and need your help.

When I initially contacted Marva, she quoted me $45 per person. After stating agreement to that cost, her next email informed me the cost was $75 per person. When I asked about the increase, she again said the charge would be $45 per person and we would pay the entrance fees to the Falls and Tubing when we got there.

So I am confused. I understand that any additional charges, such as lunch and shopping, would be our costs at the time of the tour. I don't feel like I am getting a straight answer from her. Honestly, if she didn't come so highly recommended by every board I check, I would say "No way" and go with someone else.

I feel I am missing something.

Could you please help? As you can tell this is my first post. I am new to this and want to be prepared when we get to Falmouth.

TYIA.

From what I have researched and found, most of the tours with the private companies (i.e. Know Jamaica, Peat Taylor, Mark's Tours) are all in the range of $80 to $85 including DRF and tubing..this is because there is a $25.00 entrance to tubing and I believe around $20 to the Falls..plus of course they have to charge for their transportation as well..The prices I mentioned above were quoted for Falmouth as that's where we are docking..hope that helps..:)

I understand your confusion as it is sometimes difficult to compare the various companies. THat said, we used Marva Shaw's Knowjamaica tours last week for our VOS cruise stop in Falmouth. For us, it was $180 for a private tour for 4 (meaning you get the use of a driver and guide for the day - period) Nothing else is included. Any attractions you visit (DRF, White River Tubing) will have an additional cost ($20PP for the falls and $25PP for the tubing which is exactly what we did) Both of those activities have their own guides (which you may wish or need to tip as you see appropriate) as your driver will stay with the vehicle and wait for you when you are done with that attraction.

If you have over four people in your group, it is $45PP. She can handle virtually any size group as she apparently uses different vehicles (and drivers/guides) depending on need.

You can read my trip report below for more info and pictures.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1596640

Pay attention to my point as to most of the reviews you read describe either Marva or her son, Javia as the guide and you should not expect that to be the case. Ours was a very nice woman named Grace and we were very pleased with her.

Thank you so much for your responses.

As I said, if she hadn't come so highly recommended, my red flags would have been flying.

Now that I understand, I will know how to budget.

I expect to tip everyone involved. What is a good amount for a family of 5 to tip the various people?

Archived