Big bargain purchase

maina

We have a local discount chain in Maine (Marden's), which buys odd lots, overstock, last season's items, etc.--everything from hardware, furniture and flooring to food, housewares and clothing. I stopped in yesterday, since I happened to be passing by, in search of a casual, packable non-black skirt for our transatlantic cruise and European trip thereafter (leaving May 29th). I ended up with a 4-piece jersey-knit outfit for $5.00, which was reduced from their original price of $14.99 :D --a long skirt, pants, tank top, and long sleeve cardigan. It's from Chadwicks of Boston, where it's $99.99 on their website. It's similar to this, but is in a nice subtle slate blue, likely from a past season as that color is no longer on the website. It's $99.99 on the website! (I tried to post a copy of the photo, but don't yet know how to do that.)

http://www.chadwicks.com/products.asp?sku=85049

I will not take the whole outfit on the trip, as I already have plenty of pants, but will take the skirt and 2 tops. I happened to have on black slacks yesterday when I tried this on, and the tops looked great with those. Pants and skirt are too long, so will need to be taken up. The skirt is calf length and I don't really like the way I look in that length; since I'm only 5 ft. 2 in., the skirt is almost ankle length as it is.

LuckyLoon--Yes, there were more of those outfits; I saw at least one, perhaps 2. I'm not sure what sizes; I got medium. I generally wear a size 12, and it fits fine other than length; probably would work for someone a bit smaller too, as it fits on the snug side for me (but pants and skirt have elastic waist). You really have to dig around on the sale racks, as things do not seem to be very well organized by size. Who knows, you might find some other wonderful bargains there! Where do you live? We're in Bangor, and I've seen posts on CC from someone else who lives in Bangor. Small world.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived