Tendering in Belize

bigelow

Another note about the tenders. Some of them are very big and it can take up to 20 minutes to load one. If you are one of the first families on the tender and tend to get seasick, tell this to someone and wait to be the last to board. The tenders do rock back and forth, even in calm seas and just sitting there waiting for it to board will get you sick if you are prone to seasickness.

Another word of caution - I wouldn't sit by the wide openings if it has a big shutter or door that latches to it. We were on a tender, going very fast, and this big heavy door actually blew off and hit the side of the boat. If it would have blown into the boat (and almost did), it would have killed someone. Just a word of caution, especially for those with kids.

• 2 weeks later...
Another note about the tenders. Some of them are very big and it can take up to 20 minutes to load one. If you are one of the first families on the tender and tend to get seasick, tell this to someone and wait to be the last to board. The tenders do rock back and forth, even in calm seas and just sitting there waiting for it to board will get you sick if you are prone to seasickness.

Another word of caution - I wouldn't sit by the wide openings if it has a big shutter or door that latches to it. We were on a tender, going very fast, and this big heavy door actually blew off and hit the side of the boat. If it would have blown into the boat (and almost did), it would have killed someone. Just a word of caution, especially for those with kids.

Very good advice on tendering, especially regarding the main door. The very same thing happened to me a few years ago. Luckily for us, the same thing happened the door started to swing for in, then blew out with a lot of force. Scared the you know what out of me, I wasn't watching that way, could have clocked me.

Very good advice on tendering, especially regarding the main door. The very same thing happened to me a few years ago. Luckily for us, the same thing happened the door started to swing for in, then blew out with a lot of force. Scared the you know what out of me, I wasn't watching that way, could have clocked me.

That is amazing that this can happen! If that door were to hit a smaller person or a child, it would certainly kill them. I am wondering how this has not been addressed!? I can see that most of the tender boats have these same doors. I really do feel that in general in Belize, you have to take safety into your own hands. Do not assume things are going to be safe. Keep your eyes open for hazards, especially when traveling with children.

Those with children, make sure not to sit where these doors are.

Archived