Amtrak from Baltimore to Boston

starketcher

I am thinking of taking the NE cruise in July out of Boston. We would be driving to Baltimore (Or DC) and taking the train into Boston...mostly just for a change.

We would stay in Boston on Sunday night, probably at the Marriott where I have points.

Has anyone done this? Any pointers?

I am thinking of taking the NE cruise in July out of Boston. We would be driving to Baltimore (Or DC) and taking the train into Boston...mostly just for a change.

We would stay in Boston on Sunday night, probably at the Marriott where I have points.

Has anyone done this? Any pointers?

Not sure how familiar you are with Baltimore, so you may already know this, but there are two Amtrak stations in the vicinity of Baltimore -- one in the city itself, and the other near the BWI Airport. Both of them have adjacent parking garages. I don't know what they charge, but I do know that they aren't cheap. However, if you want to save a few bucks, you could park at one of the off-site airport lots and then use their shuttle. The closest ones to the train station are PreFlight and Econopark Express. Their shuttles actually pass within a very short distance of the station on the way from the parking lot to the airport, and I believe they will pick up and drop off there upon request. (Even if for some reason they didn't, you could still ride to the airport and then take the free shuttle from there to the train station.)

The train ride will take about 7-1/2 hours or so. It's to your advantage to depart in the morning, so you can arrive the same day and not have to attempt to sleep on the train.

It's a long train trip - been there, done that with kids.

I'm actually going the reverse direction next Feb to cruise the Enchantment. I'm going to fly Southwest. When I checked fares for this past Feb, an early purchase was $49 each way to BWI - much cheaper than the train.

I like Amtrak. Nice relaxing trip. A little more time consuming but with the availability of power outlets at each seat you could watch a few movies, get some work done, or whatever. Lots of room in the seats, maybe even a nap.

If the price is right, flying would be a lot quicker.

Archived