Recent disappointing reviews of Emerald?

blueridgemama

We just got back from 10 day Eastern and it was wonderful! We enjoyed the food, the entertainment was great, Cruise Director did a good job! Seemed to be slightly short staffed but staff were pleasant. Hope everyone has a wonderful time!

Another early riser!! Was the cappachino machine at the IC working?

I also just got off the Emerald on 3/27. It was a wonderful cruise with just a few disappointments. One was the latte making machine - a worker had to go into the MDR and get it made which took about 10 minutes. This machine was still broken when we left. The gelato machine was broken for the first half of the cruise, but fixed eventually (:)). And, our steward was not up to par, but that can happen anywhere.

I really enjoyed the movie selection - loved the Artist and War Horse. The Beatle Maniacs were fantastic and so were the concerts shown on MUTS (especially Paul McCartney). I thought the ship was in good condition and the staff treated us very well. I would sail her again in the future.

Go-Bucks,

If you don't mind me asking were you on caribe deck in the 400 cabin range? We were in C436 and found our steward also was not up to par. First time in 23 cruises!

We spent 20 days on the Emerald in January. We enjoyed the trip and are glad we went, and overall it was a positive experience. But having said that, we will not sail on the Emerald again. The crew was wonderful, the ship is well appointed, and there are many good things about it. What turned us off is that it is by far the most crowded ship we have sailed on. At peak times the corridors are jammed, the elevators are overwhelmed, the theater is full, and on sea days moving about the outer decks is like navigating an obstacle course. There simply aren't enough square feet of deck space for the number of people Princess has crammed onto this ship. For us, this was a dealbreaker.

Apparently, we're in the minority because many people seem to love her. Frankly, I'm puzzled by that. I can only assume that's because they don't mind the constant togetherness or don't know any better. I'm not being negative, I'm simply pointing out that if you value a bit of space, there are better options available.

Couldn't agree with you more. We've had nice cruises on the Emerald with good service but it's the passengers that are a turn-off for us. Well, I should say it's the crowds of passengers. On sea days and especially if the weather is not good, it is too crowded for comfort. The Grand with its 500 fewer passengers never feels as crowded. Same applies to the Sapphire. The Coral & Island provide the most passenger comfort.

The worst passenger encounters we've ever had were on the Emerald during bad weather. The crowded ship seems to exacerbate behavior of people who already have marginal social skills. (e.g. pushing into already full elevators, trying to get ahead in lines, walking side by side holding hands with arms stretched out on the promenade deck or in the passage ways blocking people passing from the opposite direction or trying to get around them, spilling drinks on you, etc. )

We would still sail on the Emerald again, but only if a ship like the Grand or Coral weren't available and it was a warm-weather cruise where there are fewer sea days and less likelihood of bad weather. Or if the itinerary was unique to the Emerald and was too good to pass up.

Stop second-guessing yourself and continue looking forward to the cruise of your life.

Why people do this is beyond me, the cruise will be what you make of it, if you look only for every minor thing to nit-pick you'll make yourself miserable and have nobody to blame but yourself.

If you partake in 50% of what the Emerald has to offer you will have the time of your life.

Stop fretting, no real reason.

Jim

Archived