Jet sking! Oh What fun! However . . .

surfsup

We went jet sking a couple of weeks ago at Majahual. Cost was $35 for 1/2 hour. Had a great time with only one mistake.

I was riding along hitting the waves and didn't pay attention that I was getting to close to the coral reef when all of the sudden I slammed right on top of it.

I shut the jet ski down and started waving to the boat that had gone out with us. With each wave it pushed me farther and farther on to the reef. The only thing I could think about was what kind of damage this was doing to the jet ski and to the reef had how I was going to pay for it. You have to sign a form saying that you won't hold them responsible if you have an accident and if you damage the jet ski you'll pay for it.

He went to the beach and brought another guy out with him who had to walk along the reef (he had socks and shoes on) and then rock the wave runner back and forth until he got in in deep water. I couldn't get off to help because I had no shoes and the reef is SHARP.

I promised the young man a huge tip when we got back to the beach. After a while he was able to drive me back to shore. Another guy came up and wanted to make sure I wasn't hurt. They said if I had fallen off, which is very easy to do, I could have been seriously hurt.

They were really nice about the whole thing.

I'm going back in September to ride again but I'll make sure to stay where I'm told to and pay attention.

• 3 weeks later...

Do they let you take the jet skis out on your own or do you have to go as part of an organized tour?

Where are they located at?

Did you just walk up or make reservations in advance?

Thanks.

We just walked up to one of the tents at Majuhual Beach to book a time. We were not part of any tour or group.

When you get off the ship and go to get a taxi there is a guy set up there that said we could prebook jet skis from him before we got to the beach and they would be cheaper. We didn't really believe him so we went on to the beach. Beach is about five minutes away.

Price was $35 for 30 minutes so you might want to see if he's cheaper when you go.

By the way, make sure you make time to enjoy the "free" pool right there when you get off the ship. It is aboulutly beautful.

Archived