Cash Tipping

cannockfrodo

Is it a per-transaction charge, or are you referring to the spread between the "buy" and "sell" rates? My card charges no "per transaction" fee, but will charge foreign currency at a rate about 3% unfavorable to the true market exchange rate. If you tip in cash, what rate are you paying for the currency and, more importantly, how different would it be from the credit card exchange rate? If it is only a difference of 1%, then you're talking about saving about one GBP in exchange. If it is a "per transaction" fee, then you'd have to consider whether you're going to charge anything else to your room. Paying your onboard account will only be one credit card transaction, whether you have $1,000 of drinks, tips and excursions or whether you have only one drink, so you probably won't save any per-transaction fees.

Is it possible to tip in cash at the end of the cruise?

As a Brit I'll be charged for any transaction on my CC so I'd sooner do it in cash.

Advice please

it would be better to leave your auto tips on your bill and pay your bill in cash at the pursers desk.If you tip in cash at the end you will not be able to compensate all the people that make your vacation great.Many people who get a part of the gratuities will not be paid because there are many who you will not see or realize they work for tips

When securing your S&S account with a credit/debit card, Carnival only presents 1 final bill to the processing company. Though they may request incremental "reservation holds" or balance inquiries several times during a voyage these "charges" do eventually drop off the billing process (in the USA after 2-14 banking days). It will be up to the banking institution if they decide to charge any transaction fees or exchange rates fees for the "held" funds or if they will be removed when the pending transaction drops off as inactive.

Thanks for the advice.

UK CC all charge for foreign transactions, minimum 3%.

The exchange rate is an unknown quantity until you get the monthly bill and varies on a daily basis.

So the final bill is always a bit of a gamble.

Usually the exchange rate we can buy at on the High St compares favourably to what the CC companies charge. Many outlets sell currency commission free so that helps us.

I understand that the daily rate is $11.50 pp/pd and by UK standards that's very steep and with the exchange rate lottery UK CC's are it could work out even more.

I'd sooner pay direct to the staff knowing they get the full benefit and not have the banks lining their pockets.

Yes I know that there are many, many staff we will not even see who make the cruise what it is, but what guarantee is there that the gratuities are shared beyond your immediate waiting/cabin staff anyway.

We will be tipping, of course, but in the UK our custom is to tip after receiving good service rather than in anticipation of it.

Thanks for the advice.

The exchange rate is an unknown quantity until you get the monthly bill and varies on a daily basis.

Usually the exchange rate we can buy at on the High St compares favourably to what the CC companies charge. Many outlets sell currency commission free so that helps us.

I understand that the daily rate is $11.50 pp/pd and by UK standards that's very steep and with the exchange rate lottery UK CC's are it could work out even more.

I'd sooner pay direct to the staff knowing they get the full benefit and not have the banks lining their pockets.

Yes I know that there are many, many staff we will not even see who make the cruise what it is, but what guarantee is there that the gratuities are shared beyond your immediate waiting/cabin staff anyway.

We will be tipping, of course, but in the UK our custom is to tip after receiving good service rather than in anticipation of it.

Here in the US we also tip after service is rendered.The issue on here (that has been argued many many times) is that the suggested tip is not what alot of people on here tip.An example is I leave my auto grats and add as I see fit.Some people actually budget to remove tips as a 'savings for them to have more drink of the days".There are a million fights on here and it all really boils down to you cannot possibly see all the behind the scenes workers that get a piece of what you tip,and as far as a guarantee ,your tip does not go directly to the staff its split up accordingly by management.Also im not by all means saying you are cheap but some people tip better than others and my good tip and your good tip may be totally different,so why not just follow the guidelines provided by the cruise company,it just makes it easier and the staff knows what to expect

You can also lay down cash ( I know, I dont like travelling with large amounts of cash ), or travellers cheques, on your sail and sign account. So put down enough travellers cheques, to cover the tips, and as much else as you can afford to put down, the rest will go on your credit card. I just find that it is so much easier and convenient for the tipping to be handled this way. The 11.50 per day, also includes the people at the buffet area, and the deli's, pizzarias etc. It would be pretty hard to tip those people in cash last day. Yes, you could tip one or two you see, but the auto tips are divvied up equitably amongst them, and much fairer IMHO.:)

Is it possible to tip in cash at the end of the cruise?

As a Brit I'll be charged for any transaction on my CC so I'd sooner do it in cash.

Advice please

something else I thought of ,did you realize you can pre pay before you leave and have everything taken care of .All you have to do is call carnival and use your debit card.This is what we do sometimes as well so our sign and sail bill isnt crazy

Thanks for the advice.

If you're being charged US$11.50 pp/pd for 2 for a 7-day cruise, then the total cost is US$161. At the current exchange rate of 1.582 US$/GBP, the cost to you will be 101.77GBP. If your credit card charges you a 3% transaction fee, but charges a rate that is close to the quoted financial exchange rate, then your total cost will be 104.82GBP. If the alternative is to bring cash, then the cost will depend on the cash exchange rate you pay. You said that the cash rate is "close to" the cc rate. Let's say it is a 1% premium to the quoted financial rate. Your cash cost therefore would be 102.79GBP. Your savings by paying cash would be 2.03GBP.

Two quid is two quid, and it may be more the principle (i.e., I don't want the cc company to get that 2GPB). But it just seems like a hassle for a savings that you wouldn't even notice. Will you stand in line 20 minutes at the purser's office to do the transaction? What's your time worth?

If I was going to do it, at a minimum I'd find out what the cash exchange rate is and then call my credit card company and ask them to quote their exchange rate. The exchange rate will fluctuate, but it is the difference between the cash and cc rates that should be driving your decision. Those shouldn't change much, if at all, during your trip.

Archived