Lifeboats - enough to hold everyone DAWN

dishealth11

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the original design had provided for more lifeboats, but that the company decided they made that deck look too "cluttered," and besides, the ship was supposed to be virtually unsinkable anyway, so they eliminated some of the visually offending lifeboats and davits in the final design.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the original design had provided for more lifeboats, but that the company decided they made that deck look too "cluttered," and besides, the ship was supposed to be virtually unsinkable anyway, so they eliminated some of the visually offending lifeboats and davits in the final design.

i remember doing a report in the fourth grade on this and I read the same as you. they said it looked too cluttered.

each one of the life boats holds 200-250 people. Yes its tight. The capacity is written on the side of every lifeboat. When you to your muster station you are taken to a place where you boat(its a boat not the ship) number is. There is more than enough room on the actual lifeboats for all the the passengers even when every room is filled to capacity.

Considering a lot of cruisers are "plus sized"... I wonder if a life boat can really hold that many people... :confused:

There is an International Treaty called SOLAS. All countries who serve as ship's registiry for cruise ships are partiers.

SOLAS, which stands for "Sail Our Lifeboats Anheuser Busch Served," specificaly requiers all Vessels registered in the Bahamas to provide a sufficient number of open-bar life boats to satisfy the "Farley's" off the world!

(I hope the term Farley makes into the oxford dictionary - won't take much space: Farley - n. moron (may also refer to newly-wed)

There is an International Treaty called SOLAS. All countries who serve as ship's registiry for cruise ships are partiers.

SOLAS, which stands for "Sail Our Lifeboats Anheuser Busch Served," specificaly requiers all Vessels registered in the Bahamas to provide a sufficient number of open-bar life boats to satisfy the "Farley's" off the world!

(I hope the term Farley makes into the oxford dictionary - won't take much space: Farley - n. moron (may also refer to newly-wed)

Sorry for the 2x post!

Sorry for the 2x post!

Woe is me!

When I asked about "open bar" I didn't mean on the lifeboat. I figured since I'm usually assigned to a lounge and "someone":D here says it means I'm going down with the ship....then the least thing the line can provide is free martinis!

Woe is me!

When I asked about "open bar" I didn't mean on the lifeboat. I figured since I'm usually assigned to a lounge and "someone":D here says it means I'm going down with the ship....then the least thing the line can provide is free martinis!

This is another good reason to smuggle your own onboard. I would rather remain high and dry. But if we have to get wet I still want to be high :D

SOLAS needs to update their rules:

Sail Our Lifeboats Absolute and Bud Served

Woe is me!

Jeez..some crybabies will seek compensation for the smallest iritations - probably want a discount on your next cruise too!

can be found on the web site for the IMO

http://www.imo.org/home.asp

the International Maritime Organization.

This graphic provides basic information about SOLAS

http://www.imo.org/includes/blastDataOnly.asp/data_id%3D3167/TITANIC.PDF

As you'll see the current SOLAS recommendations call for 125% of full capacity in lifeboats plus life rafts.

SOLAS is a treaty that makes recommendations and IMO an organization that makes recommendations and encourages compliance. It is up to governments to implement these recommendations. The country in which a ship is registered (the flag) has a large part of that control. When a ship wants to pick up cargo or passengers in a country, that government can also establish rules...

Jeez..some crybabies will seek compensation for the smallest iritations - probably want a discount on your next cruise too!

I think she is turning into a fraley. All those martinis erased a lifetime of memories :rolleyes:

PS - nice to see a sense of humor returning to the boards :cool:

It is my understanding that there are sufficient lifeboats to handle all the passengers and the crew that mans them. The life rafts are available for the other crew members who I assume are sufficiently trained in their deployment and use.

I think she is turning into a fraley. All those martinis erased a lifetime of memories :rolleyes:

PS - nice to see a sense of humor returning to the boards :cool:

Sticks and stones......

I see one small problem with my lounge scenerio...I have no neck. The lifejacket comes up and covers my mouth.:eek: ( yes, I am asking for it now)

Dare I become really demanding and make them give me a straw?

Sorry to take up so much space, but I'm relatively new to cruising (took my first in 1964),..... and, I just realized something - it couldn't have been a cruise ship because they hadn't been invented yet. WOW!

But I need to learn lots of important things.

At any rate, does anyone know if they have seperate lifeboats for smokers and non smokers, and if not, is smoking allowed on the port side or the starboard side? No guesses please, only those with actual experience.

Not sure were Cap't BJ is coming from....I know that IMO means In my Opinion! Think he's gone to London too often.

mistakenly posted a serious reply

International Maritime Organization

some folks have reservations about ships and are amazed to learn they actually go far enough out to loose sight of land..they like to know about the safety regs

of course, I had one young lady on a cruise convinced that we were not really 'sailing' but were on tracks, just like the river boat at WDW.

"but I can feel the ship going up and down"

"they don't want everyone to know so they build in hills"

some folks just can't handle the truth

The IMO attempts to convince governments to strongly enforce the recommendations of the SOLAS treaties.

Did you know that there are some lines that you can only board from ports outside the US because of non-compliance with SOLAS recommedations?

{and I believe the std abbr is IMHO: in my humble opinion :p }

humbly submitted

Capt BJ,

We won't make you walk the plank for posting a serious reply. The info is most welcome and from it I believe that if you leave from the USA most requirements are met???

We just get silly because we think we are good at it!!

Bette Midler sings a song about leaving one's family and sailing away. You did it for real, we do it to escape "real".

But over time and cruising, I have learned to have respect for the ocean which covers most of this world. And I have found that I enjoy it! The sea can change it's mind. And being a woman, I can relate. LOL

It is an adventure, not a ride at Disney.....and it is special.

Susie

Considering a lot of cruisers are "plus sized"... I wonder if a life boat can really hold that many people... :confused:

a couple of points in no particular order...yes plus size people cut down on the number that can be taken on a lifeboat. As you know on airplanes plus size people pay extra(for two seats) maybe the cruise lines should do the same thing....are you listening out there!

as to the bathroom(or Loo) each lifeboat has as tool kit with things such as a hatchet. If you are in the lifeboat for more than 3 hours you can use it to create a bathroom by cutting a hole aft and port.

SOLAS -sheet out of luck and saki???

It all works out in the end --- I'm a size four and I only take up a half of a seat! :eek: Plus size folks can sit next to me and take the half I'm not using! :D

Pepper

Move over, girlfriend!

But you don't have to worry, I am going down with the ship in the martini bar!:D

Archived