Oasis of the Seas March 10 - 17, 2012, From A Different Perspective

OASIS OF THE SEAS – MARCH 10, 2012 – MARCH 17, 2012

The reason I write this review and title it as such is that I am offering this review from a “different” perspective, that is, my precious, beautiful, 17-month-old granddaughter, Isabella, was my cabin mate in Cabin 11329. Isabella’s parents, my daughter and son-in-law, stayed on the 8th deck. I hope to share some of my experiences travelling aboard the beautiful Oasis of the Seas with a small child….Perhaps some of you grandmothers may follow suit???

Travelling to Fort Lauderdale to Meet Our Ship

We drove from London, Ontario, Canada, to Detroit, Michigan and caught the direct Delta flight to FLL at 7:40 p.m. The flight was uneventful (aside from the little kiddies exuding “some” noise). Considering that we had to take a car seat and stroller in addition to the regular luggage, we had to be quite organized. Trust me when I tell you that it almost takes three adults to fly with one child. One of the best investments was a Britax travel cart that I purchased in the States. One snaps the car seat to the cart, the baby sits in the car seat, and this is how you roll the baby around the airport. The cart later folds up nicely. This proved invaluable, and we also used the carseat and cart as a means of transporting the baby while in Nassau.

Cabin 11329

I was very glad that I booked this cabin. It is the very last cabin at the aft overlooking the Aqua Theatre and Boardwalk. Isabella loved to play at times on the balcony while “people watching” and taking in the action. I loved the view of the water from this location. While Isabella slept in the evenings, I would sit out on the balcony and take in the diving shows, “Oasis of Dreams” and “Splish Splash”. Yes, the children’s activities are primarily on the forward side of the ship, but walking Isabella in a stroller proved no hardship.

Meals

Isabella and I ate our breakfasts and lunches primarily in the Solarium Bistro. It is not as busy there as it is in the Windjammer, and I have nothing but praise for the staff in this venue. The staff came to know Isabella, and they were so very helpful. For many of them she served as a reminder of their own children that they had left in the care of some other family member while they were on the ship earning the family’s primary source of income.

We did eat at the Dreamworks Characters Breakfast on Thursday morning. Alex the Lion, Julien, and the Hippo attended. This was a nice touch.

We ate at the Windjammer only on the first day. It was too busy of a place to try and eat with a babe.

The four of us ate all our dinners in the main dining room. We found the meals to be very good to excellent. There was never a problem with my daughter or SIL requesting that vegetables accompany Isabella’s children’s meal. Everyone was most accommodating.

Isabella still loves her bottle of milk. I would always order the small cartons of whole milk from room service and store them in the cabin’s refrigerator. I would wash out the bottles in the sink in the washroom.

Every evening, prior to dinner, I would go to the Café Promenade where I would get one of the workers to give me a bottle of steamed milk. Talk about service.

One morning I decided to order room service for breakfast. The meal was good, the service was prompt, but I found it difficult to juggle the food while trying to keep Isabella in one place. We never repeated this experience.

Activities

We walked, walked, walked, and tried to see as much of the ship as possible.

We saw the excellent productions of “Hairspray”, “Come Fly With Me”, and the ice skating show, “Frozen In Time”. All were excellent. We would sit at the back in the theatre or Studio B so that we could easily get up and walk with Isabella if need be.

Isabella LOVED to play in the Royal Babies and Tots playroom which contained every conceivable Fisher Price toy. She also loved the Diaper Splash Pool in the H2O Zone. The Deck Patrol did monitor that children with swim diapers could only play in the Splash Pool, and they did attempt to keep the older kids out of this little pool. There were enough other places in the H2O zone for the older kids.

We rode the carousel a few times. Isabella rode up with me in the Rising Tide Bar as I did not want to miss out on this.

I watched some of the performances in the Aqua Theatre from my balcony while Isabella slept.

So that I could go to the spa, enjoy the Solarium, or shop with my daughter in St. Thomas, my SIL or daughter would sit with Isabella at that time. It all worked out.

The four of us did go to Atlantis and Orient Bay in St. Maarten (our favourite beach). Everything went well.

Debarkation

We decided to do self-debarkation (where we take our own luggage off the ship). Again, the travel cart proved an invaluable tool. We arrived at the airport at approximately 7:45 for a 1 p.m. flight on Delta to Detroit. Here’s where we hit a snafu. We were told inside that we could not check our luggage until two hours prior to flight time. At this point, no one mentioned anything about the outdoor kiosks. We at least found seats, as many who arrived from the six or seven cruise ships in port had to sit on the floor in the airport while waiting…unacceptable. When I asked again, I was told that we could check our luggage four hours prior to departure at one of the outside kiosks. I managed to do this, but when my daughter and SIL went, they could not as there was a problem. There has to be a better solution. The airport must realize that there is much business to be gained from all the cruisers.

Overall Experience

I would give this cruise an A+. I thoroughly enjoyed my granddaughter’s company and loved spending so much time with her.

I hope this review has been helpful to those who may be travelling with such small kiddies. To the grandmothers out there, perhaps you will get an idea… Please feel free to ask me any questions.

I did not say goodbye to the Oasis as I hope to sail her again one day. I loved the ship!!! There is still so much for me to see and do while on her.

Wow, what a great grandmother!:)

I don't know if I'm "great". I LOVE Isabella. Prior to going on this cruise, some questioned whether or not I would have a vacation. I did have a vacation, it was different, but relaxing nonetheless. I would do this again in a heartbeat.

Your daughter and SIL are the luckiest people ever.

Although somehow I think you appreciated this as much as I am sure they did.

I really appreciated the time I could spend with her. We live in the same city, so that is good, and Isabella does spend some time at our house. I work full time, so I really appreciated this entire week with Isabella.

:) We were also on that sailing with our 4 children. My MIL and FIL came along also. Although they didn`t take any of our children in their cabin, they helped us out with the children. Your daughter is very lucky to have such an involved grandma. I was hoping to sit down and write a review when I get a minute. We loved pretty much everything and don`t have any real complaints.

I loved reading a review from this perspective. I like that cabin location you had. (have not been lucky enough to snag that last one) but the one next.

I wonder if you and Isabella enjoyed the large public balcony area outside at the end of the hall? Extra room for Isabella to run around.:)

I loved reading a review from this perspective. I like that cabin location you had. (have not been lucky enough to snag that last one) but the one next.

I wonder if you and Isabella enjoyed the large public balcony area outside at the end of the hall? Extra room for Isabella to run around.:)

I really liked this cabin location. My daughter and SIL had an outside cabin on deck 8. It too was nice, and I thought much brighter during the day than mine was. I preferred mine as I could still see events while the little one slept. Yes, we did use the large public balcony at the end of the hallway, but not that frequently as we were much too busy.

The only issue I had with my cabin was on Thursday evening when they showed the movie "Tower Heist". It ended at 11:15 p.m. It was much too loud. That was the only time that I thought that the noise filtered into the cabin at an unacceptable level. I did call Guest Services. I had the impression that others had complained as well.

I would definitely consider getting this cabin again.

I just love your review! I, too am a grandmother and hope to take daughter, SIL and babies (1 and 2 ) on a cruise once they are a little older (probably Disney). I LOVE Oasis!!!! Was on her in Sept/ 2011 and immediatelybooked her again for Sept this year . Your love for Isabella resonates through your review and you certainly had an awesome time with her!

It is so refreshing to read your post. My DH and I travel with my elderly parents, we have adjoining cabins, usually open the divider on the balcony, extra. Having suffered some hardships and coming out okay, you tend to look at life differently. We loved traveling with my parents better than some of our friends. Can't wait to go on the OASIS with Mom and Dad! The only reason I am really responding is now my parents have become our children and I love seeing how excited they get!

p.s. I miss the love from my grandparents, you are so blessed.

LOVE your review, sounds like you had a wonderful cruise and I had your cabin for 2 weeks this past February I MISS IT!!!! My only complaint was no sun to take on the balcony during the day, but the back deck was great for taking sun in late afternoon. Was Gillion your stateroom attendant? She was soo sweet!

Yes, Lisa, Gillian was our cabin attendant. She was very, very nice. Lucky you that you had that cabin for two weeks. Even though the cabin is at the very back, the walk to the other end of the ship was more than doable. Are you having the same cabin on your next cruise?

I cannot wait until I get to cruise on the Oasis again.

Yes, Lisa, Gillian was our cabin attendant. She was very, very nice. Lucky you that you had that cabin for two weeks. Even though the cabin is at the very back, the walk to the other end of the ship was more than doable. Are you having the same cabin on your next cruise?

I cannot wait until I get to cruise on the Oasis again.

Awwwe she is sweet, I unfortunately dont have that cabin for my next cruise it's unavailable but i'm going to book it for next winter. I actually liked having that long walk only because I was on for 2 weeks and ate and drank so much and I ended up losing weight on vacation which is a rare thing maybe I can stay on for a month LOL, glad you enjoyed my room he he, my friend had the one right next to us and they opened up the divider so we had a nice huge balcony hated leaving and coming back to real life! Glad you loved Oasis, she's my favorite ship!! :):)

I loved reading your review and I smiled the whole time thinking about you taking your granddaughter on a cruise and getting to spend so much time with her and bond with her when she's little. My grandma took care of me when I was that age, and to this day it's special to me even though she passed away in 2010.

Now, if you'd like to adopt a 26-year-old grandchild... hehe :). Just kidding!

Glad the Oasis was so accommodating too. It definitely shows that cruises really are for all ages!

Archived