Which one do you like more? Time at sea or time in port

Sea or port?  

376 members have voted

1. 1. Sea or port?

• Time at sea
    • Time in port

I have no desire to cruise the Caribbean and follow in the footsteps of many thousands of "cruisers" who were there before me just a couple of hours before. I have read reports of some instances where there have been as many as six ships in port at the same time, disgorging up to 12,000 people to clog up the place !!

Bryan - this is exactly what scares me about the Caribbean. Our next cruise is Hawaii - 5 sea days - 5 port days and 4 sea days home. I agree with Capt Data who would like a sea day break inbetween the 5 port days - or maybe it was an overnight she suggested? Either way that would be great. The Caribbean will wait until I've done my transatlantic there and back!!! :)

Although I prefer some sea days to port days, a cruise should have a mixture of both. I'd never cruise to Hawaii. It is a ridiculous way to see the islands. Having spent over 30 weeks there in the past 20 years, I can tell anyone that being there is far better than cruising the Pacific to get there and back. A transatlantic cruise is for those who haven't yet heard about the modern invention.........the airplane.

A transatlantic cruise is for those who haven't yet heard about the modern invention.........the airplane.

You just keep thinking that way, and then the prices of my ta's will stay lower because they won't be as popular. :D

It's not always about the destination; that's like saying life is just this long process in order to get to your final resting place!:eek:

Although I prefer some sea days to port days, a cruise should have a mixture of both. I'd never cruise to Hawaii. It is a ridiculous way to see the islands. Having spent over 30 weeks there in the past 20 years, I can tell anyone that being there is far better than cruising the Pacific to get there and back. A transatlantic cruise is for those who haven't yet heard about the modern invention.........the airplane.

Of course we are all entitled to our opinion and your opinion it seems is that it is better to fly to Hawaii if one wants to "see the islands". I have to tell you I discovered the modern invention the airplane a way back in 1958 and I've been flyin' 'em ever since. I choose to visit Hawaii this time via cruise ship, I don't think my choice is ridiculous and obviously neither do the other 1900 folks that bought out this cruise in record time.

Sea days for us, actually even better.......port days when we don't leave the ship!

See Catmand, I KNEW we were alike! Why fly for ten hours when you can sail for six days!:D

But I do understand if you've never visited a place and want in-depth touring, a cruise might not be the best thing. Limited vacation time, and all that. But having been fortunate to see so many places, and, again, because of limited vacation time, I now choose the vacation that will help me relax the most, not the one that will show me the most.:)

Just took a 7 night cruise that had 3 ports, but I never got off the ship! Love the sea days and the port days are great too. Everyone else gets off the ship and you have the pool to yourself with about 12 other sun worshippers... heaven!

Sea days are the best sooooo relaxing. We've done Hawaii twice by cruising once a one way the second time a roundtrip from/to San Diego. I agree if you want to explore the islands cruising is not the best way to see Hawaii but it gives you enough of a taste to want to go back and back and so we have. But sea days are still the best.

sailing to/from Hawaii sounds delicious, and sailing from port to port rather than rushing around by car/plane/bus sounds a better way to enjoy islands.

Was on Millennium transatlantic in 11/2000, and found it the best cruise ever. the flight to Genoa was a horrible 7 hours (felt like 3 days), but the sail back to New York was so restful and enjoyable (went by like 7 hours). very much enjoyed seeing the ports we visited -- Nice, Barcelona, Cadiz, etc. but because of the many days at sea, finally was able to take advantage of the many amenities of the ship -- massages, reading by the pool, leisurely going from activity to activity, exploring the ship, etc. if we just wanted an in-depth exploration of cities and countries, then would just take a land tour.

• 3 weeks later...

I voted without hesitation:"at sea"

I have been on twenty one cruises and the weather has either been excellent at sea or the ship was able to maneuver between heavy downpours. I even enjoyed the day at sea that was spent in a fog bank with the fog horn billowing.

The weather at the ports i visited was seldom ideal. I remember going to Aruba when the wind stopped and it was unbearably hot. It was extremely humid the port day in Roatan. I could go on and on, but my point is that i have been luckier at sea with the weather than at port.

Archived