Strangest thing you've seen... In the water

joshd33

Seen all the posts here about strangest pics and the neighbor threads, but I'm curious to know what some of the strangest stuff you have seen randomly while looking off the ship while at sea?

-Josh

The strangest thing I have seen, was actually not a thing in the sea, but the sea itself. It was on my Sensation cruise, back in 2000. We well out into the Gulf of Mexico, and the sea was as flat as glass! Not a wave or a ripple. I have never seen this at sea, before of since. It was in the afternoon, but by evening, there were waves again.:)

A 'school' or 'brood' of jellyfish! At least a couple thousand of them. It was beautiful to look at (it was at dusk and they were the clear jellyfish so the setting sun shone right thru them), but I wouldn't have wanted to be out there among them! Fantastic view in the sea!

We went on a whale watching tour from Long Beach in 2000, we never saw any whales, but we ended up surrounded by thousands of dolphins. They were spinners, and there were hundreds of pods, as far as we could see, jumping and playing and swimming along with our boat. They were everywhere, I have never imagined anything like it.

Setting:

Two couples standing on the front "deck" of the ship under the bridge, late at night(pitch dark), still several hours away from Galveston...looking at the different lights from other ships.

At one point, one of us looks up toward the bridge, but really looking past the bridge at a bright light and says, "Why do they have that dumb light turned on so brightly? They should turn that thing down."

The rest of us look up, and begin to search for the offending "light" only to realize it was really the moon, in all its full glory, and it just happened to be at the right angle to make it look like it was attached to the ship!

Priceless.

GP

DOes in the sky count? We were buzzed by a Russian fighter jet while in the Gulf of Finland two days after Russia invaded Georgia and that fracus was going on. Not even 50 yards away from our ship,,so close I could see the markings on the plane (that's how I knew it was Russian).

Seen all the posts here about strangest pics and the neighbor threads, but I'm curious to know what some of the strangest stuff you have seen randomly while looking off the ship while at sea?

-Josh

Water spouts........scared the daylights out of me.......:D

This past October, while looking over the railing on our first ever Aft WRAP:D, I saw a large brilliant blue-colored fish fly high out of the water. Being from the Arctic, I recognized that it wasn't a polar bear:). Actually, didn't really have a clue what it was. When we returned from the cruise, I did some research and figure it must have been a sailfish. It was magnificent to see !

The strangest thing I have seen, was actually not a thing in the sea, but the sea itself. It was on my Sensation cruise, back in 2000. We well out into the Gulf of Mexico, and the sea was as flat as glass! Not a wave or a ripple. I have never seen this at sea, before of since. It was in the afternoon, but by evening, there were waves again.:)

On our 2007 cruise, we experienced this same thing. It's pretty cool to see. Sheet of glass is exactly how we described it too. Beautiful.

While snorkeling in Punta Gorda (Castaway Cay - Disneys private island),

I saw a pole that was moving. As I got closer, I found that the pole was surronded by hundreds of fish about 18 inches each, all with their tails toward the pole and their heads pointing out away from it. It was really weird. Also, they have sunken one of the Nautilus submarines from 20,000 leagues under the sea ride from WDW. That was one of my favorite rides when I was a kid.

Home made boat with 7 cubans in it. They had attached an inner tube to the back that they used as the bathroom. They were surrounded by Dolphin Fish of all colors. We sat there with them in their boat until the Coast Guard could get there and take over. They were so close to the US. They had been without food of water for 2 days when we found them. It was a life lesson for my kids.

We were departing Cozumel one year as it was getting dark. I was sitting on the balcony and there was a beautiful "flock" of about a dozen white birds (looked like doves) flying alongside the ship. They swooped in and out in formation for hours on end. I was getting worried because we were headed out to sea on a two day journey back to Galveston and I wasn't sure what would become of the birds-if they could make it back to shore or not. I watched them all night until I finally went to bed and they flew along the entire time. The next morning they were gone. It was just so strange and beautiful at the same time. They weren't following behind for food, just flying in and out alongside.

Never seen anything like that before or since, but it made my night. I always wondered if they headed back to Mexico or hitchhiked a ride to the States.

when my daughter and i were in the bahamas, we were wading in the water and what i thought was a rock turned out to be a conch...walking! needless to say i was mezmorized and just watched if for about 20 minutes. boy does it move ever so slow!!!!! :):)

Home made boat with 7 cubans in it. They had attached an inner tube to the back that they used as the bathroom. They were surrounded by Dolphin Fish of all colors. We sat there with them in their boat until the Coast Guard could get there and take over. They were so close to the US. They had been without food of water for 2 days when we found them. It was a life lesson for my kids.

Wow!

Archived