Question re: 19 year old

Markmom18

I think having to be 25 to book a cruise is a bit silly. I can understand 21 but 25? My husband and I started dating as teenagers. We are now in our late twenties. I see absolutely nothing wrong with couples living together. I think if people would live together and truly get to know each other before getting married, there would be less divorces. Some parents need to learn to accept the fact that their children are adults and they can no longer control what their adult children do.

You don't have to be 25, you have to be 21. If you are under 21 you have to be with someone over 25. As has been mentioned several times already.

And for those who keep bringing up the old enough to serve cliche, if the are ACtUALLY serving, they are exempt.

See the above link- if the passenger is older than 13 and traveling with you they do not have to be booked in your cabin. There are rules on how many cabins away they can be- but you don't need to book one parent in one cabin and one in the other.

See the above link- if the passenger is older than 13 and traveling with you they do not have to be booked in your cabin. There are rules on how many cabins away they can be- but you don't need to book one parent in one cabin and one in the other.

Thats if they are your own kids.

My son and his gf had to be booked with an adilt because I am not her parent or guardian.

Some have gotten away with it but not us.

Bill

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Whoa, did anyone else catch that line in the "rules". Anyone between the ages of 12 and 16 must be accompanied by an adult at "all times"? Then all these children, and some even under the age of 12, running around the ship at 1 or 2 am, must all be in my imagination. They're not really there at all. LOL

While in the fitness or spa area.

I think having to be 25 to book a cruise is a bit silly. I can understand 21 but 25? My husband and I started dating as teenagers. We are now in our late twenties. I see absolutely nothing wrong with couples living together. I think if people would live together and truly get to know each other before getting married, there would be less divorces. Some parents need to learn to accept the fact that their children are adults and they can no longer control what their adult children do.

My daughter moved in with a guy, I made no objection. Can't say I liked it though. After they broke up, she questioned me why I let her do it, her friend's parents wouldn't. I said because you had to find out about life, and you only had a split, not a divorce. Then she understood more.

My daughter moved in with a guy, I made no objection. Can't say I liked it though. After they broke up, she questioned me why I let her do it, her friend's parents wouldn't. I said because you had to find out about life, and you only had a split, not a divorce. Then she understood more.

You sound like a smart mama :)

IME, if you'd told her not to, not only would she have done it anyway, but she would have resented you for telling her how to run her life.

You sound like a smart mama :)

IME, if you'd told her not to, not only would she have done it anyway, but she would have resented you for telling her how to run her life.

exactly.

Last May, my mom and dad told me they didn't like me staying with my bf over the summer while I was home from school..every time I spoke with them they told me I needed to come home but I stayed at his place anyways.

I think the easiest way to find out if you are compatible is to move in together. You get first hand experience with their bad habits. For some people, those habits are deal breakers. We know a couple in their early 30s that got married after a year of dating and decided to not live together before getting married. Now they are split up because they realized they didn't know each other very well. It's sad. We went on our last cruise with them. I moved out right after I turned 19 and I was lucky enough to find a great guy that makes me laugh.

I hope the couple the OP is referring to have a great time.

I will not pretend it makes any sense, and legally would not hold up, but apparently the letter under 21 is Homeland Security Based. I have spoken to 3 different reps from Carnival and each read me the same reg. Yes it could be fought in court but I'd rather be on a ship sailing. And yes, it may never be asked for. But that is true traveling with young kids too- never been asked. And my kids look nothing like me at all. So when I take 2 18 year olds with me later this week, we will have letters from the parents.

We are cruisin in November, and also taking son and his girlfriend. He will be 25 then, and she will be 21, but when we booked, we booked myself and GF in one room and husband and son in other room. This was so we could get the past guest rate on both rooms. We will switch rooms when we get on board.

Perhaps that was another reason that your PVP told you to book the way you did?

We just returned from same scenario--- carnival will allow under age 25 in in a cabin without someone over 25 IF a direct family member. BUT since one is not, they must be split up until boarding. Extra cabin keys can be requested at guest services -have them punch one hole in one, and two holes in another to keep them straight as they are generic blue key cards. It requires carrying two keys all the time (with original as "real ID for getting on and off ship) Some ships will fix it all once on board, but easier to request extra keys.

We did not not need any permission for her being a minor and sailed from San Juan. I was not aware of that need, all they did was scan her passport. But always good to be prepared.

HINT: BTW a great showering option my college son likes doing is using the private showers in the spa -no charge. Also an over the door or tie on organizer works well for small interior cabins/bathrooms.

I will not pretend it makes any sense, and legally would not hold up, but apparently the letter under 21 is Homeland Security Based. I have spoken to 3 different reps from Carnival and each read me the same reg. Yes it could be fought in court but I'd rather be on a ship sailing. And yes, it may never be asked for. But that is true traveling with young kids too- never been asked. And my kids look nothing like me at all. So when I take 2 18 year olds with me later this week, we will have letters from the parents.

OP here, on my original concerns....thank you all!! The last time we cruised, we had our son's buddy with us ( we shared a Junior Suite on RCI). We had a signed, legal, document from his parents. They were 17 and I think 15.

I've read all reviews, and, again, thank you, for those who gave advice to my concerns about traveling with a "minor" child. I will take the same legal measures with the "girlfriend" on this cruise. Again, many thanks.:)

I think it makes sense. Better to have it and not need it....etc.

Although someone should take it to court. The letter is probably meaningless in a court of law. I believe that 18 and up is legal age in every state. As any mother who has tried to talk to a doctor or a bank or any kind of business knows. But as I said- I'd rather be on the ship sailing. I'll worry about court another time.

I think it makes sense. Better to have it and not need it....etc.

Although someone should take it to court. The letter is probably meaningless in a court of law. I believe that 18 and up is legal age in every state. As any mother who has tried to talk to a doctor or a bank or any kind of business knows. But as I said- I'd rather be on the ship sailing. I'll worry about court another time.

5waldos...Lightbulb moment....YES, we are in So Cal, belong to Kaiser Permanente Health...our son at 18 became an ADULT. I can no longer book an appt. for my son.

5waldos...Lightbulb moment....YES, we are in So Cal, belong to Kaiser Permanente Health...our son at 18 became an ADULT. I can no longer book an appt. for my son.

And heaven help you if your child has an illness of any sort. At 18 they are generally too young to understand but nobody will tell you anything unless they let you. And if it is a mental illness- it is beyond painful.

you must be a cool mom. I would never let my son share a room with his gf on a cruise. When he is away at college I know he shares his room with his gf but ......out of sight as they say. Why encourage them? Sorry I guess I still a little old-fashioned.

If you don't want to take them with you no problem. They just won't vist you if they cannot sleep togather.

We booked yesterday. Son is 23 his gf is 20. I asked her about the letters and reported about needing a letter since she is under 21. She told me no.because she is over 18. But after reading this we better figure out something. She has been estranged from her parents for years....well Crap what to do???

If you don't want to take them with you no problem. They just won't vist you if they cannot sleep togather.

What a difference a generation makes. In my day (did I really say that?) we weren't allowed to be in the house together without a chaparone. Seriously- mid afternoon. It just wasn't done.

We booked yesterday. Son is 23 his gf is 20. I asked her about the letters and reported about needing a letter since she is under 21. She told me no.because she is over 18. But after reading this we better figure out something. She has been estranged from her parents for years....well Crap what to do???

The chances of being asked are small enough that I would just go ahead. Is she in contact with any relatives? Maybe a letter from an aunt or something. Otherwise, just assume you won't be asked.

What a difference a generation makes. In my day (did I really say that?) we weren't allowed to be in the house together without a chaparone. Seriously- mid afternoon. It just wasn't done.

Man, when I was 23 and my girlfriend was 19 we came home from college one weekend. It was understood that my girlfriend would sleep in one room while I slept in another. That was just out of respect for my parent's home. Call me old fashioned, but I will expect the same treatment from my kids. Just saying.

Since over 18 is an adult, then why am I doing this silly dance of booking the 20 and 19 year old with an "adult"? The PVP told me since my son & gf were not married and under 21 my husband and I were elected to share a cabin with one of them. Not new news here I know. Thanks again. :)

We had this issue come up a few years ago with our 20 yr old son and his gf of the same age. DS had been living on his own since 18...he decided he wanted to go to work instead of going to college, so we invoked a rent rule if he wanted to live at home. He decided to get his own apartment instead and his gf ended up moving in with him. They both had decent jobs and totally supported themselves.

It just seemed pretty ridiculous to have to book them with one of us when they had been fully self supportive and living and acting as the adults they were for almost two years, and were paying for their own cruise. In our case, Carnival did allow them to be booked in their own cabin, without having to resort to the old switcheroo once onboard.

Unfortunately, they had to cancel a month before the cruise and were not able to sail with us, so even though they were allowed to book their own cabin, I don't have anything to offer as far as any possible difficulties we might have encountered later...only that Carnival did back down on this booking rule in our situation.

Aside from the issues at hand, I hope you guys have a GREAT cruise and enjoy your time together!

We had this issue come up a few years ago with our 20 yr old son and his gf of the same age. DS had been living on his own since 18...he decided he wanted to go to work instead of going to college, so we invoked a rent rule if he wanted to live at home. He decided to get his own apartment instead and his gf ended up moving in with him. They both had decent jobs and totally supported themselves.

It just seemed pretty ridiculous to have to book them with one of us when they had been fully self supportive and living and acting as the adults they were for almost two years, and were paying for their own cruise. In our case, Carnival did allow them to be booked in their own cabin, without having to resort to the old switcheroo once onboard.

Unfortunately, they had to cancel a month before the cruise and were not able to sail with us, so even though they were allowed to book their own cabin, I don't have anything to offer as far as any possible difficulties we might have encountered later...only that Carnival did back down on this booking rule in our situation.

Aside from the issues at hand, I hope you guys have a GREAT cruise and enjoy your time together!

you know that reputation that Carnival has been trying to live down for many years being the party ship?

That came from the days when you could book younger and the youngsters would get drunk and trash the ship.

That has a little to do with the higher age requirements I believe.

Bill

We sailed last July on the Dream with our son and his 2 buddies...all 3 of them were 18 at the time. When we booked the cruise we had to put me in the room with the 2 buddies and my wife in a room with our son. But when we got on board we went to guest services and within 10 minutes she had put me in the room with my wife and the 3 18 year olds in the other room....everyone was happy. We were surprised she helped us like that but we sure weren't complaining! We also brought along written permission slips from the 2 buddies' mom's but were never asked for them. Hope this helps.

you know that reputation that Carnival has been trying to live down for many years being the party ship?

That came from the days when you could book younger and the youngsters would get drunk and trash the ship.

That has a little to do with the higher age requirements I believe.

Bill

Our case was in 2009, so not that long ago. I do get the reasoning on the level of what they're trying to accomplish, but discretionary leeway is sometimes warranted.

When our boys were in their mid to late teens, and had friends along, of course we were booked accordingly and carried both permission letters and medical authorizations for their buddies, as we were responsible for them.

Archived