Norwegian Pearl Review - March 11, 2012

MHCruiser

I've never taken the time to post a review of past cruises. However, I feel the need to share with others the experience we had on board the Pearl last week. We have sailed a number of times with another major cruise line and this was our first cruise with NCL. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away. We will do our best to answer them for you.

PARKING OFF SITE - MIAMI

We drove our 1 week old 2012 Toyota Sienna to Miami and so needless to say, I was very nervous about parking off site. After much research (and a phone call) we decided to go with Global Parking at $12.00 per day. It was a covered garage that is secured at night and they also provide a shuttle service to and from the pier. :)

The only drawback is that they limit the number of people to 4 in the shuttle :(. We were a family of 5, so my DH dropped us off at the pier and went to park the van.

We arrived at the pier at 10:30 am and waited for my DH to return.

EMBARKATION

I had read here that the Embarkation process was chaos in Miami, so I was prepared for the worst. We made it through security in about 10 minutes and waited in the check-in area for my DH to arrive. During this time, there were many (at least 8) employees taking care of check-in and more times than not, there wasn't a line! :eek:

My DH showed up approximately 30 minutes later and we proceeded through check-in. We were then moved to another waiting area upstairs. I was surprised to see that guests were still walking off the ship at that time!

We waited there for about another 30 minutes. Right before it was time to board, an NCL employee tried to tell us how things were going to proceed. NCL could make this easier by providing a microphone for the poor fella. We could barely make out what he was trying to say.

We were on board and eating at the Summer Palace by 12:30 pm. :D

At this point, I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

After lunch, we made our way to the Guest Services Desk to reassign our DS (18) to a cabin with his friend (also 18). NCL forced us to book an adult in each cabin, unlike Carnival which allowed us to put the kids in one room and the adults in another across the hall. The gentleman at the Purser's Desk would not budge on this policy at all. However, he did give us extra key cards to enter the rooms.

Another interesting tidbit for those travelling with young adults (18 yrs old). NCL allows parents to sign consent for them to purchase alcohol (wine or beer only) on board while in international water. They limit the amount that they can buy at one time and ask that a parent be with them when they buy their wine or beer. Since my DS has a different last name than I, we had a bit of fun proving to the Purser that I was indeed his mother. I was half tempted to show him the stretch marks on my stomach but refrained from doing so. After providing proof of residency, my DS was given a PC sticker on his sign and sail card. Again, the Purser was not willing to bend the rules to allow me to sign for his friend to purchase beer and wine as well. We didn't push the issue and I respect the fact that they stick by their policies.

We were trying to make our way to the restaurants to see the menu and decided whether or not we wanted to dine at a specialty restaurant that night and we were lost. One of the ship's officers saw the lost look on our faces and asked what he could do to help. After explaining our request, he proceeded to take the time to explain to us how the Pearl was laid out and where we could find everything. He introduced himself as Jon Coxton, head of security. We saw Jon on a daily basis but more about that later.

DINING

We ate all our breakfasts and lunches at the Garden Café. Unlike Carnival, we never waited more than 1-2 people for our omelets. Some say that the buffet was chaotic and I would have to agree in the sense that people were walking everywhere.

We ate at the Summer Palace on most evenings and never had to wait to be seated. It was very quiet and elegant in that restaurant. The food was delicious, served promptly and hot. We were a bit disappointed when they served the Apple pie cold but they were more than happy to warm it up for us. All we had to do was ask.

We also ate at the Lotus Garden, Teppanyaki and La Cucina. All of these restaurants were worth the extra money spent.

Day 2 - Great Stirrup Cay

The tender process went very smooth and it didn't take long to get a tender to shore (maybe 10 minutes). It was very windy the day we were there so the big slide was not up and running (and I also heard that they had cancelled the parasailing). We sat to the extreme right so my DH and DS (9) could snorkel. According to the boys, there were quite a few fish to be seen and they wish they had brought some dog biscuits to feed them.

The buffet served on the island was very good and we enjoyed the tropical fruit they served.

Although there is still alot of construction happening, we never heard any construction noise. We look forward to returning next March to see how much it has changed. Hopefully the lazy river will be completed at that time.

Jon Coxton was at the pier to welcome us back to the tender. He wasn't able to chat with us at that time due to an incident he was dealing with. We did see him later on that evening and he did take a few minutes to see how we were enjoying our cruise.

DH and I agree that this is the first time we have enjoyed an island in the Bahamas.

DAY 3 - at Sea

Things were interesting on day 3 to say the least. Having sailed with Carnival, we are very aware of the chair hogs that take everything up in the wee hours of the morning. We got up and ate breakfast and proceeded to the Pool area on deck 12. Believe it or not, we were able to get deck chairs at that time! :)

My DS (9) decided to enjoy the rock climbing wall so we walked over to the sports area at the back of the ship. While we were waiting, a staff member had a seizure beside the basketball court. My DH went to help him until he could get proper medical attention. Another cruiser stopped by to help (he happened to be a medic) as well. It seemed like an eternity (almost 30 minutes) before the medical personnel arrived to help this poor fellow out.

When we returned to our room the next day, there was a letter from the hotel director for my DH thanking him for tending to the staff member. He also invited our party of 5 to enjoy any specialty restaurant of our choice as well as a complimentary bottle of wine for us and pop for the kids.

DAY 4 - Ocho Rios, Jamaica

We heard many horror stories about this stop so needless to say I was extremely nervous. After much research, we decided to book the zipline (original canopy tour) through NCL. I wasn't confident going off on our own at this stop.

Chukka Tours handle this excursion for NCL and I have to say that they were absolutely amazing and funny! The ride to the zipline area was interesting and the driver did tell us interesting facts about things we were seeing on the way. During the drive, my DH noticed a guy walking on the road with a machete in his hand. We asked the driver if that was allowed in Jamaica and he said that a machete in hand is considered a tool and a machete in a holster is considered a weapon :eek:.

The excursion was alot of fun. The hike is challenging and anybody with knee issues would find this tough.

All in all, we were pleasantly surprised that we were never approached to purchase marijuana. We did our souvenir shopping at the pier and didn't have any issues with anybody putting things in our DS (9) hands. We did NOT venture out to the shopping areas.

Heading back to the ship, Jon Coxton was there to greet us and took the time yet again to chat with our DS (9). Later that evening, he told my DH that he had a hat for our DS and that he would give it to him later this week.

DAY 5 - Grand Cayman

Second island to use the tenders and this time you need to get tender tickets. The tickets were available as of 7:30 am beside the pool on deck 12. We got our breakfast and decided to eat it outside by the pool so that as soon as the ticket guy showed up we were right there to get in line.

We were on the first tender off and who was there to greet us but Jon. He pulled us aside and gave our DS his hat. We assumed it would be a generic NCL Pearl hat but we were wrong. He gave him a Norwegian Pearl Security hat! This made our DS' day.:)

We met our guide right at the pier. We booked a private excursion with Nativeways for Stingray City, Snorkel, and Starfish. Our guides, Andrew and Chris were amazing and made sure that we enjoyed our excursion with them. Since there were already quite a few boats at the Stingrays, they decided to bring us snorkeling first. Afterwards, we went to an area and were encouraged to dive down and pick up the starfish. We were able to take some neat pictures before we put them back. Andrew dove down and brought up some conch shells for us to see. He took the meat out of the shells and gave an empty conch shell to my DS (9) to keep. He used the meat as bait to catch his supper that night.

Stingray City is way to cool. Andrew hoped in right away and caught "his baby" named Susy. We got to pet her and he told us alot of interesting facts about stingrays. Everyone got to hold Susy and gave her a kiss on the nose in exchange for a back massage ;).

Then it was off to Rum Point for a beach break and lunch. Food was good and the beach was nice. They picked us up after 90 minutes and brought us back to the pier. We were back in time for the last tender back to the Pearl.

DAY 6 - Cozumel

By the time this day arrived, we were so tired that we opted to stay on the ship for the day. My DH and DS enjoyed the shuffleboard, the movie on the big screen and the Wii. I took advantage of the air conditioned library and read.

DAY 7 - at Sea

Nice relaxing day by the pool.

THINGS WE THINK NCL CAN IMPROVE

We wish that NCL could find a way to put a cash limit on the kids sign and sail cards. We asked at the Purser's Desk to put a spending limit on our DS (9) sign and sail card and were told that we could only close the card or keep it open. There was no other option.

Our DS (9) went to the arcade and although we had given him a limit of how much he could spend, he quickly lost track of that amount. At dinner that night, he told us he thought that he might have gone over "a bit". After another visit to the Purser's Desk, we looked over our statement and noticed that he had doubled the amount we had set for him!! :eek:

On that last sea day, we met with the Hotel Director and explained to him what we would like to see NCL do for their younger passengers. We suggested either an arcade card that can be pre-purchased or even a token system like Carnival. We never asked for a reimbursement of any kind. The hotel director assured us that he would be mentioning this to Head Office since it was a valid concern. That evening, there was a letter in our room addressed to our DS (9) thanking us for bringing this concern to their attention and informing us that they removed the portion of the arcade bill (the amount he went over by) off our charges! :)

CONCLUSION

As my DH and I have discussed during the long drive back to Canada from Miami, we find that each cruise line targets a certain market. Not every cruise line is for everybody. Our DS (18) and his friend definitely preferred the party atmosphere provided by a Carnival Cruise. However, my DH and I, definitely loved the laid back atmosphere of NCL.

We have already booked the Pearl again for the next Spring Break (in 354 sleeps :D but who's counting).

Thank you so much for the time you took writing that review. I will be on the Pearl this coming Sunday. I am pleased to hear you made it to GSC.

Thank you from one of your neighbors...

Kathy in Edmonton Alberta

We wish that NCL could find a way to put a cash limit on the kids sign and sail cards. We asked at the Purser's Desk to put a spending limit on our DS (9) sign and sail card and were told that we could only close the card or keep it open. There was no other option.

).

While not ideal, you can prepay your son's DSC and then set his account up with cash. Deposit a set amount daily. While not perfect, it will solve the "going over a bit" problem.

Thank you for your review, I enjoyed reading it.

DAY 6 - Cozumel

By the time this day arrived, we were so tired that we opted to stay on the ship for the day. My DH and DS enjoyed the shuffleboard, the movie on the big screen and the Wii. I took advantage of the air conditioned library and read.

DAY 7 - at Sea

Nice relaxing day by the pool.

Our DS (9) went to the arcade and although we had given him a limit of how much he could spend, he quickly lost track of that amount. At dinner that night, he told us he thought that he might have gone over "a bit". After another visit to the Purser's Desk, we looked over our statement and noticed that he had doubled the amount we had set for him!! :eek:

On that last sea day, we met with the Hotel Director and explained to him what we would like to see NCL do for their younger passengers. We suggested either an arcade card that can be pre-purchased or even a token system like Carnival. We never asked for a reimbursement of any kind. The hotel director assured us that he would be mentioning this to Head Office since it was a valid concern. That evening, there was a letter in our room addressed to our DS (9) thanking us for bringing this concern to their attention and informing us that they removed the portion of the arcade bill (the amount he went over by) off our charges! :)

CONCLUSION

As my DH and I have discussed during the long drive back to Canada from Miami, we find that each cruise line targets a certain market. Not every cruise line is for everybody. Our DS (18) and his friend definitely preferred the party atmosphere provided by a Carnival Cruise. However, my DH and I, definitely loved the laid back atmosphere of NCL.

We have already booked the Pearl again for the next Spring Break (in 354 sleeps :D but who's counting).

I don't know why it would be that difficult to make the arcade machines run by tokens. We have never taken children on NCL, only Carnival. But I do remember giving the kids each a certain amount of cash each day for the arcade.

Unfortunately for the kids, if the machines didn't accept tokens, they wouldn't be playing. As much as I love/trust/etc my grandchildren, I am not going to give them an open ended charge card in the arcade. I'm am amazed that this issue hasn't been discussed/resolved before now.

Too funny. We sailed on the Pearl for the first time in February and it was a first NCL cruise too. I have to say that we were as impressed as you were and we have rebooked the Pearl for next March as you can tell from mu sig below.

One thing that I found they could improve upon was disembarkation. I don't know about your cruise but on ours it was a chaotic mess. They kept pushing people off the ship even though they couldn't handle them inside. It caused a big backlog and getting through the terminal was not great either compared to RCI or Carnival. But this was really the only downer of the cruise really. It was a good time.

Oh, BTW, how long did it take you to drive from Niagara Falls? 3 days?

While not ideal, you can prepay your son's DSC and then set his account up with cash. Deposit a set amount daily. While not perfect, it will solve the "going over a bit" problem.

Thank you for your review, I enjoyed reading it.

That is what we asked to do at the Purser's desk and they said it couldn't be done. :(

Too funny. We sailed on the Pearl for the first time in February and it was a first NCL cruise too. I have to say that we were as impressed as you were and we have rebooked the Pearl for next March as you can tell from mu sig below.

One thing that I found they could improve upon was disembarkation. I don't know about your cruise but on ours it was a chaotic mess. They kept pushing people off the ship even though they couldn't handle them inside. It caused a big backlog and getting through the terminal was not great either compared to RCI or Carnival. But this was really the only downer of the cruise really. It was a good time.

Oh, BTW, how long did it take you to drive from Niagara Falls? 3 days?

We did the self debarkation and left at 8 am. We walked right off the ship with our luggage in tow and right up to customs. By 8:20 we were on the curb waiting for our shuttle van.

As for the drive, we did it in 24 hours on the way down with a stop in Jacksonville on the first night. On the way home, we were tired so we stopped in Charlotte NC and continued on the next day. It also took approximately 24 hours to come home as well.

We did the self debarkation and left at 8 am. We walked right off the ship with our luggage in tow and right up to customs. By 8:20 we were on the curb waiting for our shuttle van.

As for the drive, we did it in 24 hours on the way down with a stop in Jacksonville on the first night. On the way home, we were tired so we stopped in Charlotte NC and continued on the next day. It also took approximately 24 hours to come home as well.

I've often thought about driving from NB to Florida but it would be longer than your drive. I'd need at least 2 hotels on the way down and the way back. Plus food, gas. Its cheaper for us to drive to Portland Maine and Fly but then again its only 2 of us and I think you had 5? Would be more feasible in your case.

We leave on Sunday and it was so nice to see something so positive. Did they ever say what took them so long to get to the gentleman with the seizure? God really had your husband in the right place to help him. Again thank you so much we are so excited. All I have to do is go put the things in my suitcase and go to bed. I know some of our groups coming from alot of snow so we will pray for all to have good flights. There is a maitre d' whose name is Mr.P from Jamaica that we have sailed with before. Did you by chance see him? We love NCL and glad you do too. How was the spring break crowd? I don't know if you heard but I guess it was wild the week before you or maybe after I am not sure

We leave on Sunday and it was so nice to see something so positive. Did they ever say what took them so long to get to the gentleman with the seizure? God really had your husband in the right place to help him. Again thank you so much we are so excited. All I have to do is go put the things in my suitcase and go to bed. I know some of our groups coming from alot of snow so we will pray for all to have good flights. There is a maitre d' whose name is Mr.P from Jamaica that we have sailed with before. Did you by chance see him? We love NCL and glad you do too. How was the spring break crowd? I don't know if you heard but I guess it was wild the week before you or maybe after I am not sure

Never did hear what took so long. We didn't get to see Mr. P :( from Jamaica. When you see Jon Coxton (bald security guy at the pier everytime you get to port) tell him Cole's family says hello.

We found the crowd to be very subdued and quiet for a spring break cruise. However, we are used to the rowdy and drunk people on Carnival on Break so maybe we are immune ? :confused:

We had no issues with chair hogs or drunk people anywhere.

Enjoy your trip! We can't wait to go back!

Enjoyed your review. We will be on the Pearl in 51 days! Can't wait for the dailies.

By the way OP, we are practically neighbors.:) How about this 80 degree weather in March;)

It was definitely nice to come home to!

:D This is why I love NCL!

Thanks for the great review! The Pearl is my favorite ship to date, and I always enjoy the reviews and positive customer service remarks. I love that they stuck to their guns about the drinking thing as well. I am very happy that you are returning to the Pearl! We plan to sail on her again, and would pick her in a heartbeat for our next trip if she sailed to Bermuda.

Archived